Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:20 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times

Advertisements

I'm not even sure if this is the right category for this, but I'll give it a shot.

I don't understand why people still smoke despite the knowledge behind the damage that it can do to our bodies. Not only is it harmful to ourselves, but it is harmful to those around us. Also to add, smoking is an expensive habit. I'm in college and I'm shocked to see the amount of kids in the designated smoking areas. The cons outweigh the pros, so why would you do it (I have the same philosophy for drinking).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 06:30 AM

708 posts, read 1,060,075 times
I'll answer.I started at 17 to be rebellious.They were accessible back then.I could steal cigarettes from my father or have a friend get them from the vending machine at the nearby diner.And of course,I became addicted.

I just enjoyed it too much in the past.Now not so much.I am starting to hate the smell and I am starting to feel the effects to my health.BTW,my father quit 8 years ago.

I have tried the patch twice,but you really have to want to quit.I didn't .So they were failed efforts.I have several friends who swear by the e-cigs. I am thinking it is about time to give it a try.My 7 year old nephew is always on my case to quit.He is probably the one family member who still has credibility with me anymore,lol.

I only blame myself.I knew what I was doing.But I do regret it and see it's now time to quit.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:18 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,406,164 times
Because once you start you find it very enjoyable. I started because when I joined the military it was the way we was rewarded.

brushrunner

Old 10-12-2013, 08:14 AM

88,578 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I'm not even sure if this is the right category for this, but I'll give it a shot.

I don't understand why people still smoke despite the knowledge behind the damage that it can do to our bodies. Not only is it harmful to ourselves, but it is harmful to those around us. Also to add, smoking is an expensive habit. I'm in college and I'm shocked to see the amount of kids in the designated smoking areas. The cons outweigh the pros, so why would you do it (I have the same philosophy for drinking).
It has more to do with belonging and being accepted, at least in the beginning. I started smoking as a teenager. The 'nice' kids didn't accept me socially, but the kids who smoked cigarettes and were also outcasts in other ways let me into their circle. Smoking was something that bound us together. Even years later, as an adult in the business world, there was a sense of camaraderie amongst those of us who smoked.

I've quit, but I do sometimes miss that social bonding time that having a cig with another smoker brought.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:26 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It has more to do with belonging and being accepted, at least in the beginning. I started smoking as a teenager. The 'nice' kids didn't accept me socially, but the kids who smoked cigarettes and were also outcasts in other ways let me into their circle. Smoking was something that bound us together. Even years later, as an adult in the business world, there was a sense of camaraderie amongst those of us who smoked.
Very very well put. I never thought of it this way before, but I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:39 AM

708 posts, read 1,060,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I've quit, but I do sometimes miss that social bonding time that having a cig with another smoker brought.
This is part of it. I was neither "cool" nor an "outcast" in school.It did bring me closer to the "cool" kids.Plus there was the added bonus of getting one over on my father.But now,I'm tired of it.Congrats on quitting!

Old 10-12-2013, 08:46 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
I started smoking as a teen because all my friends smoked. Six years ago, at the age of 60 I finally quit. The ONLY way I was able to accomplish it was using Chantix. I tried every other smoking cessation aid and was unsuccessful. AFA why people continue to smoke, IMO basically it is an addiction, which researchers claim is worse than heroin. In quitting, it is essential the person wants to quit. If you're half heartily trying, it isn't going to happen.

I have friends who smoke and have tried to quit but to no avail. Personally, I loved to smoke and still love the smell of someone smoking.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
For the same reason overweight people point their cars to the fast food drive-up window and order non-healthy foods and drinks which will rot their teeth!

Old 10-12-2013, 08:55 AM

12,961 posts, read 13,673,944 times
In the case that you mean why do people start smoking, IMO it is because they start at an age where they are doing many things that are not conducive to a long happy life and cigarettes is just one of those behaviors. By the time the brain develops self preservation type thinking, they usually have acquired the habit, the addiction or both.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 AM

88,578 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I started smoking as a teen because all my friends smoked. Six years ago, at the age of 60 I finally quit. The ONLY way I was able to accomplish it was using Chantix. I tried every other smoking cessation aid and was unsuccessful. AFA why people continue to smoke, IMO basically it is an addiction, which researchers claim is worse than heroin. In quitting, it is essential the person wants to quit. If you're half heartily trying, it isn't going to happen.

I have friends who smoke and have tried to quit but to no avail. Personally, I loved to smoke and still love the smell of someone smoking.
I do, too. I can sit with smokers and it doesn't faze me. I won't smoke again. Too much money literally going up in smoke.

The addiction is a beast. I quit with auricular therapy. Dr. used some kind of electrode on the acupuncture points on my ear. The craving just dissipated. I had tried the patch, had cut down, etc., but still couldn't quit, but that ear thing worked on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology