Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 01:44 PM

670 posts, read 815,252 times

Advertisements

Are there different types of Lonliness?

I mean I have friends and family members whom I see regularly yet some times I still get a lonly feeling.
What causes it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 01:51 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,733 times
I assume your single, not significantly involved with someone??

Old 12-08-2013, 01:59 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
I feel lonely because I don't really find people with similar interests.

I have friends and know lots of people, but always feel like a fake because they're almost convenience relationships.

I probably need to get over that and just appreciate our differences.

I think what I have is kind of an intellectual loneliness.

Even though I'm older, I'm learning lots of tech stuff...design, programming, Adobe PS and Ai. I also like to upcycle clothes and stuff. I really don't meet anyone who is interested in learning anything!

It's like they just want to drink cocktails by the pool. I really envy them. Life is so much easier.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:11 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times
While in a bad marriage I felt lonely most of the time. Now that I'm single again, I never feel lonely.

So, yes there are variations to being lonely.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Of course, because there different needs in yourself that are fulfilled by the presence of those you are lonely for. There is a huge difference between being lonely for your own children, your mate, your extended family, your social peers, your work colleagues, strangers in a crowded place, etc.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 PM

670 posts, read 815,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
Single no girlfriend,
Both Pious(picky on who I might consider) and Shy which in my opinion is a bad combination.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:58 PM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
I don't know-- but when I was young, I felt lonely,,,deep emptiness-- then I found God was with me and it stopped that feeling. Some times now I feel alone, but not lonely- My family lives bit far away I and I live alone, so I feel for lack of good company or help or whatever,,, but no ways feel lonely at all, I know it s hard to explain, maybe its the heart vs the head?

Old 12-13-2013, 05:48 PM

15 posts, read 31,482 times
I think what is loneliness in your situation could be a lack of emotional connection with the people you see regularly. I don't know your relationship with them, but if you are around them often yet still feel lonely, that is my assumption of why. Maybe you just feel unfulfilled or like you can't relate to the people are you so even though you see them lots, you still feel alone and lost in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
Are there different types of Lonliness?

I mean I have friends and family members whom I see regularly yet some times I still get a lonly feeling.
What causes it?

Old 12-13-2013, 07:26 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
I feel this sort of thing all the time. I'll be standing having a conversation with people, when while listening i'll suddenly feel lonely.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:10 PM

708 posts, read 823,711 times
I believe many times the source of loneliness can be internal but if you look around and even read this thread, you will see that immediately, the vast majority of people equate loneliness to external sources as well as external solutions. One of the first responses was

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
as opposed to

Quote:
I assume you haven't thought about channeling your higher self or getting to know your self better?
I think the media, peers and society have a lot of us borderline obsessed with the external world, others providing what we need, others giving us joy and happiness. If not other people, it will be other things whether it be (excess) alcohol or drugs.

I think that if some one is lonely and they meet another, the void filled is either temporary or imaginary. Eventually that feeling of loneliness will exhibit itself in different ways within the relationship because it still exists internally.

I think loneliness could be an inner calling for us to fill a spiritual void within, what that void could be I don't know (it will be personal) but a few possible examples. Perhaps the source of loneliness could be a signal that we need to explore our purpose in life, our core beliefs, our spirit, our aspirations, perhaps we pay too much attention to our physical side and have neglected our spirit and this is exhibited in a feeling of loneliness. In some cases it could be a lot simpler.

The above is merely my opinion, yours will surely differ. I am single (and plan to stay that way) and I cannot remember the last time I felt lonely. However, I know some one who is seeing someone and they feel lonely when not with him. I know a guy who can't even stand his own company lol.

Crowds of people provide distraction for loneliness, partners provide distractions and fool people into thinking it solves their loneliness. When one is able to turn loneliness into solitude, the enemy becomes the ally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology