Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 06:19 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,655,738 times

Advertisements

Won't bore you with the details, suffice it to say I went way over the prescribed dosage and my body was literally shutting down.

I slept it off, even though the hospital was called and they said I needed to come in...after confirming all the details of the situation.

I didn't want them to know who I was, so it was all anonymous. I know such things come with a stigma.

I was just very frustrated with life. I can't feed myself, I can't afford rent, I don't have a working car, I can't get a credit card, I have no bed, my leather futon is cold at night...I'm really struggling here.

I've gone to psychiatrist, psychologists and therapists. The psychiatrist gave me the pills. The psychologist was unavailable during that time period...she'd be back in 2 months or whatever, and the therapist told me "You're perfectly fine."

If I could solve just some of my immediate problems, I'd be ok. But, not being able to eat, having to walk in below freezing weather because I can't get a car, just being cold all the time...it got to me.

Any advice on how to solve those problems? I have two minimum wage jobs, and still I only get about 25 hours a week total. I can't survive...and no one is hiring. So, do I just suffer through it, or what? Just need some help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,606,043 times
What kind of pills?

That's what psychologists do: Prescribe pills. They are MDs, and the only reason you go to one is to get pills.

Where are your parents?

Old 12-09-2013, 08:00 AM

9,235 posts, read 14,784,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Won't bore you with the details, suffice it to say I went way over the prescribed dosage and my body was literally shutting down.

I slept it off, even though the hospital was called and they said I needed to come in...after confirming all the details of the situation.

I didn't want them to know who I was, so it was all anonymous. I know such things come with a stigma.

I was just very frustrated with life. I can't feed myself, I can't afford rent, I don't have a working car, I can't get a credit card, I have no bed, my leather futon is cold at night...I'm really struggling here.

I've gone to psychiatrist, psychologists and therapists. The psychiatrist gave me the pills. The psychologist was unavailable during that time period...she'd be back in 2 months or whatever, and the therapist told me "You're perfectly fine."

If I could solve just some of my immediate problems, I'd be ok. But, not being able to eat, having to walk in below freezing weather because I can't get a car, just being cold all the time...it got to me.

Any advice on how to solve those problems? I have two minimum wage jobs, and still I only get about 25 hours a week total. I can't survive...and no one is hiring. So, do I just suffer through it, or what? Just need some help.
For starters, you need some friends- not pills. Get yourself some good room mates to help with expenses and to be there when you need someone to talk to. What you're experiencing now will likely be temporary-assuming you're trained for some sort of work- if not you'd better think about getting more education in some demand field so you can ultimately support yourself.

PS. As you stated your psychiatrist prescribed the pills. Psychologists are usually PhDs- they are not to be confused.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,781,634 times
What a horrible situation. I hope things improve for the OP.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 AM

29,630 posts, read 34,124,372 times
Are you eligible for any kind of public assistance? Food stamps, bus passes, utility credits, etc.?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:47 AM

35,368 posts, read 20,737,862 times
go to the Salvation Army they will try to help you, in more than one way,

Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 AM

31 posts, read 37,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post

You need help. If you can't afford rent then you really need to move in with some roommates like someone else mentioned. Proof of employment should be enough to get you a room. This would reduce your expenses in every way and give you some people to be with.

Are your pills working?
Seeing a therapist could help but it takes months and won't solve your more immediate problems.
Talking on here could just as effective for a while.

As to a car, that is a massive expense. You could solve a lot more problems with the money you'd save. Can you carpool? No bus around? Do you have a bicycle?

Nothing wrong with sleeping on a futon but mattresses at the Good Will go for like $100.
Being cold all the time, you need more clothes. Walmart/Good Will have sweaters for like $5.
Is your heat turned off? Try spending time at other stores/libraries etc which have heated buildings.
For food, rice and beans go a long long way.

If you are really desperate, you can dumpster dive at night behind grocery stores. They throw away enough fresh food to eat like a king. The employee's that throw it away usually wrap it all up in clean plastic bags to keep it from becoming contaminated (they feel horrible wasting all that fresh, still hot, food), and know people might be eating it. I've seen 4 hour old fried chicken, entire cakes, cookies, fresh produce, and bread just tossed out there.

Please keep posting.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:01 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,458,067 times
It sounds like you have plenty of time left in the day to look for other jobs or go to school...quit feeling sorry for yourself, pull your big people pants up and hit the streets and fix what's broken...it's what everyone else does.
While your at it, ask yourself if you've been making poor decisions.

Do you have:
A TV? Why? You don't need one...money/time wasted by someone in your situation.
A smartphone? Why? You don't need one...money/time wasted by someone in your situation.
Trendy clothes/jewelry etc.? Why? You don't need one...money/time wasted by someone in your situation.

...I think you get the picture!

Many people spend money on stuff they don't need, which is fine...buy luxuries when everything else is good and you have savings etc.. Until then all of your time, energy and money should be going towards advancing.

The work now will pay off later.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:34 PM

328 posts, read 464,904 times
My friend, first of all I am glad you are alive. You have to find a balance between fixing your immediate situation and making peace with it while it exists. I presume the situation is not one that you find pleasant, based on your story. This is a good time of year to come up on free warm coats, blankets and food. I'm not suggesting that you take advantage of other's kindness, but you genuinely sound in need so you should not feel bad for accepting that which you truly need. Check out churches and donation boxes outside of police stations and fire stations. Extreme temps can afflict your mental state, as I am certain that you are aware. Try not to get uncomfortably cold. Recently, our furnace shorted out and I was on edge until we got it repaired because I do not like being cold. I understand your frustrations there. As others have said, you may qualify for assistance so go do that. Your mental state is very important, and being warm and well fed will immensely help that aspect of being. I think you should speak to your physician about the overdose. That is never an answer. Do you attend any religious or support based meetings? If you do, why not voice your troubles to them? I am not religious, but I am usually in awe of the warmth many will show to persons in need, even non believers. Even if YOU are not religious, dismiss the cost (of being preached to more than likely) and go seek aid. It's okay to need others sometimes.

((Dub-Dub))

Old 12-09-2013, 12:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,881,258 times
I am sending you prayers. Please don't give up. Please take good care of yourself. There are very kind people out there - reach out. You need resources and assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology