Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
My reasons in order of reasoning and importance:

1.) I know I suffer from all kinds of mental disorders-social anxiety, depression, avoidant personality, bi-polar, mood swings(massive) and only I know the kind of torment I go through. There is no way in hell I'd want my child to go through the same. I have gone through phases where I go "better death than this life".

2.)Population explosion: Everywhere I go I see people. I am from a country with a population of 1.2 billion. Selfish people with self serving agenda(family, lineage continuation, society standing blah blah) who don't give a f@ck about the bigger, universal picture. What about the whales and the African lion. What about job prospect and environmental destruction.

3.)Too much responsibility: I see people with babies and it eats them. It is a massive responsibility-financially, emotionally. If I know I can't take care of my own self as of now I have no business bringing something just for the heck of it and becoming dependent on the system.

4.)selfishness: I want to be loved. More than anything.If my significant other will start paying the baby more attention I'd feel bad, especially since I am a late bloomer. I'd want sex lots of time, movie watching lots of time, just loving each other lots of time.

My parents are already aghast. They say it is my moral responsibility to give them grand kids.

Your parents are dead wrong, thank God you seem to realize that.

Given all you have been diagnosed with, parenthood would be a disaster - please do not attempt it.

Concentrate on being well and maintaining a balance for your best life possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 11:10 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I disagree with #2. The birthrate worldwide is dropping. The biggest problem with the environment is about poor management, not overpopulation. Humans are short sighted, so they don't managed any resource particularly well (ranging from money to the natural environment).
The problem isn't birth rate, it is life expectancy through childhood. Many developing nations have only slightly decreased their birthrates but the life expectancy has dramatically increased. Having 6-8 kids is fine when 50-60% wont reach 10 years old. It is a disaster when 95% of them do. Modern medicine should never be introduce in to a society unless family planning is also introduced. Not to sound cold, but just look at what has happened in places like Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Nigeria in the past 50 years.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:11 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
If you have children to please others and hold a resentment because of it . . . then you care more about what others think than the life of the child. Now THAT is selfish.

I love children, but never wanted my own. I am an aunt, a god parent, and a good role model. I don't need to be a parent, too. And neither does my husband!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:23 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
Selfish to who? Do what you want. Kids ruin everything. They are an enormous burden. Our species is not relying on you to produce one. It is not your responsibility to provide your parents with grandkids at all - what is worse, upsetting your parents or living a life that you hate? Let them be upset.
I agree. As a 62 yr old without children by choice, believe me, I suffered all sorts of cruel remarks in my life regarding my choice not to have children. People don't seem to understand some of us do not like them, do not want them, and do not wish to be around them. I am very glad I recognized that at a young age and had the courage to maintain my resolve not to breed. It is more selfish to HAVE children - it's an ego thing, it contributes to the over population problem, etc.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:33 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,051 times
Quote:
My parents are already aghast. They say it is my moral responsibility to give them grand kids.
With 7 billion of us on the planet already there is no urgency to add more of us to it. Your parents are just going to have to suck it up and deal with it. I think you have excellent reasons for not wanting to have children, and at the end of the day it's your call, not your parents call.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:54 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
The problem isn't birth rate, it is life expectancy through childhood. Many developing nations have only slightly decreased their birthrates but the life expectancy has dramatically increased. Having 6-8 kids is fine when 50-60% wont reach 10 years old. It is a disaster when 95% of them do. Modern medicine should never be introduce in to a society unless family planning is also introduced. Not to sound cold, but just look at what has happened in places like Bangladesh, Indonesia, and Nigeria in the past 50 years.
But eventually the birth rate comes down after about a generation when people see their kids are surviving.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:39 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
Do you have siblings? Let them have kids if they want, you don't need to give any reasons! Nobody has to have children! I have 2 siblings, my sister is sure she doesn't want kids, my husband and I want at least 1 child, my brother is only 22 so he's got time to decide (and he's single anyways).

Anyways, when my sister said she didn't want kids I was surprised, but I respect her decision. I know regardless she'll be a wonderful aunt (she's a preschool teacher lol).

Old 12-23-2013, 03:41 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,461,937 times
Quote:

1.) I know I suffer from all kinds of mental disorders-social anxiety, depression, avoidant personality, bi-polar, mood swings(massive) and only I know the kind of torment I go through. There is no way in hell I'd want my child to go through the same. I have gone through phases where I go "better death than this life".

2.)Population explosion: Everywhere I go I see people. I am from a country with a population of 1.2 billion. Selfish people with self serving agenda(family, lineage continuation, society standing blah blah) who don't give a f@ck about the bigger, universal picture. What about the whales and the African lion. What about job prospect and environmental destruction.

3.)Too much responsibility: I see people with babies and it eats them. It is a massive responsibility-financially, emotionally. If I know I can't take care of my own self as of now I have no business bringing something just for the heck of it and becoming dependent on the system.

4.)selfishness: I want to be loved. More than anything.If my significant other will start paying the baby more attention I'd feel bad, especially since I am a late bloomer. I'd want sex lots of time, movie watching lots of time, just loving each other lots of time.

No, it's not selfish. I feel the same exact way. Some of us just aren't cut out for parenthood. And it would be irresponsible to have kids simply to appease others.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:28 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,367 times
No, it's not selfish to not want to have kids.

NO ONE is morally obligated to have kids. There are no negative ramifications to not having kids; however, if you have kids you don't want, both you and the child will suffer.

Don't let your parents run your life. You're the one who is going to have to deal with the consequences, therefore you have the final say.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:56 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:

Your reasons are not selfish, but your parents most certainly are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology