Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 03:49 AM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times

Advertisements

North Beach Person just saw this thread and has no idea. However we are amused with some of the answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 12:44 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm always confused by parents, grandparents, etc, who talk about themselves to little kids in the third person, as if little kids aren't going to understand the pronouns "I" and "me."

Come sit here with Mommy (said by Mommy).
Give that to Daddy (said by Daddy himself).
Give Grandma a kiss (said by Grandma).
Do you want to draw a picture with Aunt Tracy? (asked by Aunt Tracy).

I've never had kids, but I see people, even in my own family, doing this all the time.
Really, if you say "I" or "me" even to a toddler, they WILL know what you mean. Try it. No need to speak in this artificially cute way.
Sometimes, they're trying to reinforce the names they want to be called.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:09 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
But to do it with a 4 year old, who already knows the names to call people? Makes no sense.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:25 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
I don't know if 4 is old enough to remember, especially if not seeing someone regularly. It might be an instance of "Err on the side of caution." Also, those adult relatives probably take pleasure in announcing their elder-relative status, similar to how some men like to be called "Daddy" by women.

Old 01-15-2022, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 4,095 times
Interestingly, there is a new psychological study that shows that such a habit helps people to develop wisdom and empathy.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:53 PM

2,100 posts, read 1,046,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
This is a true mystery to me...I understand many pathologies...and
have much compassion...but this one truly stumps me.
Am I wrong to think childhood trauma? Some sort of disassociation?

Any insights?
And why does it give me the heebee jeebeeis!!!!?
I want to get over that and view it clinically.
Thank you.
You are over-thinking this I think. Woops! I said the "I" word........ hope that didn't offend YOU.

Maybe you are thinking that people who usually use a lot of those words is maybe a self centered person? Have never heard of anyone that got the heebee jeebeeis ...maybe YOU were traumatized as a child.

Here's an everyday sentence:

I will be more than happy to look that up for you. I'm driving right now, let me get to my house and I'll look it up on my computer and call you right back.

So... what's wrong with that ? Could it be that you are looking for things to give you the heebee jeebees?

Your question is "What causes a person to speak in the third person?" The correct use of the English language.

I could swith it around and say "Would YOU mind looking on YOUR phone and telling me tomorrow's weather? Do you find heeebeeee jeeebeees in that ?

Old 01-20-2022, 08:40 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,254,453 times
Yeah. I don't know about that.

There used to be somebody on this forum who always referred to himself in the third person. He had neither empathy OR wisdom.

He was just a troll who posted things to try to stir **** up and for attention. lol

Old 01-21-2022, 02:40 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Seems rather narcissistic or egocentric.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:42 AM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
This is a true mystery to me...I understand many pathologies...and
have much compassion...but this one truly stumps me.
Am I wrong to think childhood trauma? Some sort of disassociation?

Any insights?
And why does it give me the heebee jeebeeis!!!!?
I want to get over that and view it clinically.
Thank you.
Back in the early 2000's there was someone I encountered on another forum who regularly did this in their posts. I don't remember the specifics, but I think the explanation in this case was that it was due to being demonically afflicted at the time (this person identified as Christian). They had other peculiarities in their use of some words, but aside from that their content was very articulate and insightful.

-

Old 01-21-2022, 03:56 AM

855 posts, read 624,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
You are over-thinking this I think. Woops! I said the "I" word........ hope that didn't offend YOU.

Maybe you are thinking that people who usually use a lot of those words is maybe a self centered person? Have never heard of anyone that got the heebee jeebeeis ...maybe YOU were traumatized as a child.

Here's an everyday sentence:

I will be more than happy to look that up for you. I'm driving right now, let me get to my house and I'll look it up on my computer and call you right back.

So... what's wrong with that ? Could it be that you are looking for things to give you the heebee jeebees?

Your question is "What causes a person to speak in the third person?" The correct use of the English language.

I could swith it around and say "Would YOU mind looking on YOUR phone and telling me tomorrow's weather? Do you find heeebeeee jeeebeees in that ?
She's talking about when someone refers to themselves in the third person.

So, taking your example sentence above, if you, Bootsamillion, had phrased it as "Bootsamillion will be more than happy to look that up for you. He is driving right now..." when referring to yourself, that's the sort of phraseology that Miss Hepburn is referring to (please correct me if I'm wrong, Miss H.).

-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology