Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 04:57 PM

823 posts, read 1,974,363 times

Advertisements

There's several types of young men.
For example, you got the the slacker type, which is perfectly happy watching tv on the sofa while smoking a joint with his friends, and daydreaming. Tends to be monogamic, very loyal to his slacker girlfriend.
You got the ambitious high achiever, who dreams of becoming a millionaire before turning 30. He's aggressive in business , although tends to be very sociable and outgoing, and very sexually active/promiscuous,

You got the commited man, he's always involved in community programs, travels a lot, very social person with political ambitions and tends to date intellectual girls he meets during demonstrations.
You got the party animal, he's only interested in sex, drugs and rock an roll.

Obviously those are just a few broad characterizations, and there are many more personality types. But I wonder which type of men do you think turn out succesful mature men, and which ones fade and become shadows of their younger selves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 02:30 AM

Default Which type of young men become succesful men?

There are many types of young men.

For example, we have the slacker type. He's highly intelligent, but unmotivated and unambitious , he likes to spend long hours on the sofa watching tv, smoking marihuana, daydreaming, playin carts. He tends to be monogamous, he's very loyal to his slacker girlfriend.

Then we have the high achiever. He wants to to be a millionaire before he turns 30. He is very aggressive and ambitious with anything related to money, and very social and outgoing in his relationships. Womanizer. Friend of his friends, lethal with his enemies.

The party animal. He only cares about sex drugs and rok and roll.

The commited guy. He is always involved with the community, has political ambitions, idealistic, wants to change the world, very intellectual and tends to be monogamous, with a girlfriend who met during a demonstration, or doing field work in a third world country.

Obviously those are broad characterizations, and there are other types, for example the nerd, geek, the jock, etc, but those are more highschool type of kids rather than young adults.

But I wonder, how those types of personalities make it in the long run? Are some type of men more successesful when they reach their middle age than other types?

Old 01-18-2014, 07:54 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
It's tempting to say that a certain "type" of individual in their youth, is more likely to go on to become more successful, creative, famous, criminal, whatever in later life. But there are just way too many "exceptions" to formulate any sort of "rules". Folks seem to have a habit of encountering all sorts of unexpected "detours" along the way… getting religion, married, having kids, getting elected, winning the lottery, becoming seriously ill, accidents, etc., etc…. that it's almost impossible to anticipate anyone's "fate".

Simplest examples, Hitler started as a lowly sign painter, while Gandhi came from a family of merchants, and by all accounts he showed little ambition and didn't do very well in school.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:03 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
Why do you keep posting essentially the same thread?

Older men: their type of youth dictaminates their future?

Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
All the successful men I know were pushed/pulled by their wives/girlfriends.

My hubby will be the first to tell you he would have had very little in life without me.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Why do you keep posting essentially the same thread?

Older men: their type of youth dictaminates their future?

Technical glitch. Slow connection, not sure what was posted, multitasking, etc.

Dont worry, the forum will survive.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
All the successful men I know were pushed/pulled by their wives/girlfriends.

My hubby will be the first to tell you he would have had very little in life without me.

I agree, I think having a relationship that makes you give the best of yourself is more important than personality factors.

That's why I think high achievers /ambitious young men don´t usually become succesful in the long run. They are always having lovers, bimbo girlfriends, trophy wifes, etc, and those type of women don´t give a hoot about anything but the money. ambitious men end up having shallow, sexual based relationships.

Look for example Bill Gates, Barak Obama, Paul Newman, they all had long stable relationships with women who help them in their carrers.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:20 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Those who work hard and will sacrifice short term pleasure for long term goals.

The opposite are those who are lazy, will not work if given the opportunity. And will go out and blow every cent of money which comes into their hands. No long term thinking whatsoever.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:31 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
Slow and steady does it. My observation is that guys who were more successful later on were possibly not as mature for their age or considered as successful in their younger years. They were intelligent, but not necessarily guys with the highest grades. Possibly their immaturity helped them because they had to work harder to get what they wanted instead of instant gratification and then learned to become a hard worker. Many of these guys are either quick witted and smooze well or have a special talent in an area where others have a harder time excelling.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 AM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times
I think after the age of 18 and possibly 22 when young men/women are thrust into the real world does true intelligence become apparent.

I look at the most successful people around me and have to say they're the most rounded. Above average book smarts but by no means note worthy. However they're very foreseeing to the future, have extraordinary networking skills, relatable/humorous, innovative and not afraid of risk.

Highly intelligent couch potato? What's intelligent about that? Kind of like every mother thinks their child is the most smart/creative in the world. You never hear one say, "My Brandon, let me tell you about him. I swear the child is dumb as sh*t."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology