Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 06:03 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,931,539 times

Advertisements

I just watched a TED Talks video that made me cry. The speaker got a standing ovation:

Amy Cuddy: Your body language shapes who you are.

If you watch Ted Talks videos, do you or did you think this subject is valuable or useful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 07:47 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
Oh gosh, do I ever love TED Talks, and yeah that one with Amy Cuddy is amazing!

BTW, probably my own fav is "My stroke of insight" by Brain researcher Jill Bolte Taylor who studied her own stroke as it happened!!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Oh gosh, do I ever love TED Talks, and yeah that one with Amy Cuddy is amazing!

BTW, probably my own fav is "My stroke of insight" by Brain researcher Jill Bolte Taylor who studied her own stroke as it happened!!
Hello and thanks for the post!

I should look again at the story of Jill Bolte Taylor. I think it was on TV a few years ago, and it is a fascinating story. She suffered terribly at the loss of her career, and then made lemonade out of the lemons.

TED is probably going to take a bunch of my time this week!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:43 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
TED talks are somewhat overrated IMO. The one mateo mentioned does sound quite interesting. Here's my favorite that I can think of offhand:

Ben Goldacre: Battling bad science | Video on TED.com

Old 01-28-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
TED talks are somewhat overrated IMO. The one mateo mentioned does sound quite interesting. Here's my favorite that I can think of offhand:

Thanks! I'll have a look at that.

Overrated? That has never occurred to me. There are so many topics and so many, IMHO, excellent speakers. Maybe you saw one or two that did not hit the mark?

Old 01-28-2014, 04:06 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,640 times
Quote:
TED talks are somewhat overrated IMO.
I agree. Most are optimistic and unactionable. Which in and of itself is not bad, they just don't really tackle any real tough issues, IMHO.

But, they are very entertaining and the speakers are talented. Just a way for the right kinds of white people to megaphone their social smugness a bit more.

I liked the Hans Rosling talks as well as the one about schools killing our childrens creativity.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
I agree. Most are optimistic and unactionable. Which in and of itself is not bad, they just don't really tackle any real tough issues, IMHO.

But, they are very entertaining and the speakers are talented. Just a way for the right kinds of white people to megaphone their social smugness a bit more.

I liked the Hans Rosling talks as well as the one about schools killing our childrens creativity.
Well said. Will look into the ones you've recommended

Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:

I looked at that video and I'm glad I did. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
BTW, IMO one of the particularly cool things about TED Talks (aside from the general quality of the speakers), is that you can pick a topic, like say "consciousness", and see a whole array of fascinating presentations given by leading-edge experts in the field!

And yeah, you can also do that to a certain degree on YouTube, etc…. that is if you know who to look for and also don't mind running into the occasional UFO and Conspiracy Theory videos (…lol)!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
BTW, IMO one of the particularly cool things about TED Talks (aside from the general quality of the speakers), is that you can pick a topic, like say "consciousness", and see a whole array of fascinating presentations given by leading-edge experts in the field!

And yeah, you can also do that to a certain degree on YouTube, etc…. that is if you know who to look for and also don't mind running into the occasional UFO and Conspiracy Theory videos (…lol)!
I believe what you described about TED is one of the best things about the internet so far.

Let's hope it stays that way! (Yes, I know there are lots of reasons we need to keep our eyes open!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology