Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 03:48 PM

532 posts, read 1,068,622 times

Advertisements

Here is an example that went viral, of sexual hysteria over Bruno Mars:

Girl Cries Watching Bruno Mars 2013 Grammy Performance - YouTube

I'm sure someone has studied this (?) In a less exaggerated form, I felt the same way when I watched the video of this concert; I wanted to see him dancing more and sort of felt that Sting was in the way.

What is this about, I wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:27 AM

915 posts, read 2,129,032 times
When I was an undergraduate -- a very long time ago--I thought I was "in love with" this Chinese violinist, a classmate of mine. A therapist I was working with at the time indicated that I probably wasn't actually in love, though it felt similar, but that what it was, I was attracted to his youth, talent, character, etc., and that I wanted those qualities for myself.

I think this is in line with why some people are fans (fanatics) about certain artists: Bruno Mars, though he graduated only from high school and is not academically oriented, is nonetheless a person with a brilliant mind, an incredible memory, a very intense work ethic, and has many talents, including public relations and leadership. He represents, even if fans aren't aware of the underlying reasons, I think, a mode of living in the world which is very appealing to just about everyone. It gives you a lot to hang your hat on.

To be fair, I looked at Justin Beiber a bit on YouTube, and saw none of these things. What is most shocking about JB is that his FATHER was smoking pot with him on the airplane. How idiotic is that? He does not have the family background that Mars has. Or Mars' talent in composition. I don't find him attractive at all, but BM is an inspiration.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:11 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,977,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
....He represents, even if fans aren't aware of the underlying reasons, I think, a mode of living in the world which is very appealing to just about everyone. It gives you a lot to hang your hat on....
Could you please expand on that? I want to understand what you mean.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Could you please expand on that? I want to understand what you mean.
I see him from the perspective of a music teacher, and I'm also a working musician. You have these Wunderkinder--genius kids who perform from a very early age and as adults feel compelled to develop their gifts. A voice like his is an especially unusual gift, and if you watch the hundreds of recorded interviews on YouTube--he's been interviewed by all the major news outlets and he visits radio stations and small venues whenever he is on tour--it's plainly evident that he has a good mind, a very quick wit, an instinctive understanding of public relations, and a kindly and courteous nature. His brother, who plays drums in his band, comes across the same way. You cannot say the same for many pop stars.

In terms of genius exhibiting itself in childhood, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson are good examples. I don't know anything else about Stevie Wonder, but Michael Jackson, while undoubtedly a musical genius, had no common sense whatsoever. Mars does.

I guess the moral is, you can be young, strong, driven, creative, sexy, talented and incredibly effective, and you don't have to be rude, eccentric, odd or an idiot. You can make mistakes like getting arrested for drug possession, but overcome your embarrassment and go on with your life.

My guess is he's going to go into acting and he's going to have a great career. And probably a family of his own. I wish him the best.

Last edited by mvintar; 02-09-2014 at 11:39 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintar View Post
I see him from the perspective of a music teacher, and I'm also a working musician. You have these Wunderkinder--genius kids who perform from a very early age and as adults feel compelled to develop their gifts. A voice like his is an especially unusual gift, and if you watch the hundreds of recorded interviews on YouTube--he's been interviewed by all the major news outlets and he visits radio stations and small venues whenever he is on tour--it's plainly evident that he has a good mind, a very quick wit, an instinctive understanding of public relations, and a kindly and courteous nature. His brother, who plays drums in his band, comes across the same way. You cannot say the same for many pop stars.

In terms of genius exhibiting itself in childhood, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson are good examples. I don't know anything else about Stevie Wonder, but Michael Jackson, while undoubtedly a musical genius, had no common sense whatsoever. Mars does.

I guess the moral is, you can be young, strong, driven, creative, sexy, talented and incredibly effective, and you don't have to be rude, eccentric, odd or an idiot. You can make mistakes like getting arrested for drug possession, but overcome your embarrassment and go on with your life.

My guess is he's going to go into acting and he's going to have a great career. And probably a family of his own. I wish him the best.
Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't all that familiar with Mars, but what you've said makes perfect sense. Those are all very good, legit reasons to truly like the guy. It seems like that sort of person used to be more widespread. We need more of that today.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't all that familiar with Mars, but what you've said makes perfect sense. Those are all very good, legit reasons to truly like the guy. It seems like that sort of person used to be more widespread. We need more of that today.
It has everything to do with his family, the way he was brought up. In the case of Michael Jackson, his father abused him verbally, growing up, by calling him ugly all the time (thus, the addiction to plastic surgery, is my guess). He was also beaten by his father, and he just wasn't loved by his father. I think there is a good chance his father sexually abused the girls, too.

When you look at videos of Mars' mom and dad, it's evident how much they love him, how they were not exploiting him, and how much they engrained in him, good character. Mars was lucky; Michael was not (and it was not his fault, either; it's just tragic). It's a heart breaking tragedy of someone with a genius level talent, and no proper sense, ever, of being loved. This makes all the difference, of course.

There is a photograph somewhere on line of Mars when he was I would guess, around eight or nine, and he's snuggled up to his dad, as close as he can get, looking up at his dad adoringly. Bruno was the one who begged to be put onstage, not the other way around with his parents forcing him. It was Bruno who his dad caught, staying up all night, playing a segment of Elvis performance, over and over again, until he got the moves right. Not his dad, forcing this on him in the hopes of making money.

Last edited by mvintar; 02-10-2014 at 03:17 PM..

Old 02-10-2014, 04:20 PM

^Yes, my first thought was that it's his family's influence. And his family being the way you describe probably means it was also a larger circle's good influence too.

Not everybody likes country music, but I see a lot of similar good widespread throughout that genre's artists/musicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology