Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:44 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Online commenting: the age of rage | Technology | The Observer

Funny I just compared internet rage to road rage, using the same reasoning as this (I'd never heard of the comparison before), but it's fairly obvious/makes sense. I also said it also makes you more short-tempered and quick to anger, as you can hide behind your computer, like a car. It allows people to see your real emotions/feelings come up, some of which aren't pretty at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
I have the friend who is like REALLY friendly but once hes playing Call of Duty he turns into the most racist and mean person ever.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times
I once read something to the effect that there is no "real" I, and that instead of being just one 'person', psychologically we're really a 'collection' of different 'selves', depending on the situation, context and need… the "I" we are at work, the "I" with certain friends, the "I" out in public, the "I" among relatives, and so forth. And Jung added the idea of the "Shadow", yet another part of "self" that usually remains hidden in our unconscious, while always seeking some expession of its own.

But the degree to which we can be aware of, and successfully 'manage' and integrate all those different selves, is actually a measure of our mental health. And if so, then perhaps video games are just a 'safe' outlet for managing our "darker" aspects. It's also probably why Narcissists are so inflexible and control-happy, since they only have one (grandiose) "I" to draw on.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:15 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
I once read something to the effect that there is no "real" I, and that instead of being just one 'person', psychologically we're really a 'collection' of different 'selves', depending on the situation, context and need… the "I" we are at work, the "I" with certain friends, the "I" out in public, the "I" among relatives, and so forth. And Jung added the idea of the "Shadow", yet another part of "self" that usually remains hidden in our unconscious, while always seeking some expession of its own.

But the degree to which we can be aware of, and successfully 'manage' and integrate all those different selves, is actually a measure of our mental health. And if so, then perhaps video games are just a 'safe' outlet for managing our "darker" aspects. It's also probably why Narcissists are so inflexible and control-happy, since they only have one (grandiose) "I" to draw on.
Yes, the idea we 'wear different hats' or we're playing different roles...where then does the essence of identity lie? I also liken us to a PROCESS in a way, or a story. We ARE our story, since our cells are being constantly replaced...does that mean we still who we were 10 years ago? Kind of an interesting thing to ponder.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:47 AM

^ ^ Yeah, there's the notion that what we really are is just a sort of continuously running "narrative identity", that ties all these "hats" together along with our history. It's like the story we tell ourselves, about ourselves!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:24 AM

254 posts, read 318,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post

I didn't read the article (though it seems like an interesting article to read--I'll read it later) but the small thesis in your post seems to reflect me more.

Even the people on this website that dislike me would not know me or recognize me as me if they came across me in real life. Except I maintain the same beliefs. I'm less in argumentative state over them though. Really, I may not argue. They may also perceive my posture as one of confidence, possibly to the point of arrogance, combined with my dress and grooming.

Old 01-25-2014, 03:01 PM

254 posts, read 318,851 times
Okay, I read some of that article. It got to pissing me off a bit because a lot of it was like, "Duh! " I couldn't read the whole thing, not even half. Whoever composed it is a lot dumber than myself and lacks the vast amount of life experience I have.

The article yapped on about comedians or some comedian or person I don't know anyways. Comedians can kiss my a**. Most of them make their livelihood making fun of others tragedies. Period. So, they can cry me a river.

The internet is no source of rage--not in the United States. It just fuels the rage like paper to a fire. And it should be rather evident the internet is belief driven. And people are courage to take a side. To flame the hate and war so some group can accomplish whatever socio-political agenda they have... people are encouraged to be militant and demonize those committing "heresy" on the opposite side.

In most daily interactions with people were people gather to socialize, controversial things are not discussed, or very rarely are they.

When I go over (or went over) some Black-American inner-city friends home to drink beers it briefly goes something roughly like this: we sit on a front porch on a sunny day, crack some beers, and I'll ask, "Hey, you've seen Mike?" and the reply might be something like this, "Man, Mike was over her yesterday, you know what that crazy mutha f***a did...."

Notice, not one of us, nor anyone on the porch, spoke about gay marriage, abortion, Republicans etc.

How you dress in this setting will be more important. How much money you have. If you're ready to physically fight, things like that.

Now, let's look at a comedians "intellectual" representation of a crackhead and discussion of crack addicts.

Chappelles Show-Tyrone Biggums - YouTube

Now, lets look at something that caused me rage long before I ever became familiarized with the internet.

It was not until I got hooked on crack cocaine that young American women began flirting with me. I had actually grown into "looks," my looks improved after I became hooked on crack. Bottom line is that young American women found me attractive not as a responsible, employed, U.S. Marine that wanted an American wife, but as an unemployed crackhead that became financially irresponsible.

But what is dogma (as dogmatic as the Catholic Church's view of the Holy Virgin Mary assumption into heaven) in American society is that: "Aww... sweet, smart, never sinned American women only like men that are just 'good guys' with a job and American women care nothing about a guy's look."

Horse sh*t.

And this dogma is religiously recited on online discussion boards like this. Every dip sh__ in the country believes it.

So, I look nothing like that comedian's crackhead Tyrone. So far removed from him not only did I graduate with honors from community college in the height of my crack addiction, but I had young American women that were alpha females in personality and body types... thinking I was some Goodie Two Shoes square. Little did these infantile women know that I was hooked on crack, doing crack binges, and even having sex with a few men for crack.

I know Americans well. You think I don't know liberal, pro-gay American women aren't repulsed by the idea (and blatantly public statement) that I or another crackhead man had/have sex with men for money or crack? I know this. I graduated with honors while in the worst crack state of mind imaginable.

And I know those same liberal, pro-gay American women (and men too) don't find it any where near as repulsive to read or hear about a male crackhead f*cking some hot looking woman for money or crack.

Now, use you're mind, if you hate fake a** people like me, do you not think I don't know these fake a** pro-gay people deep down in their bellies and subconscious don't regard male homosexual sex as equal to heterosexual sex? I know they don't. Their lies and dishonesty makes me hate them all the more.

And the internet is belief driven.

(Bearing in mind that even social workers and psychologists go into theories of "harm reduction" for drug addicts as opposed to "zero tolerance" theories--similar to homosexuality and it's correlation to HIV. social workers and psychologists have dropped their "zero tolerance" theories for active homosexuality, and humanize the homosexual, and promote societal enabling of homosexuality.)

Old 01-25-2014, 03:02 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
I'm completely insensitive to anyone directing their rage to me personally behind a computer screen.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:26 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post
Okay, I read some of that article. It got to pissing me off a bit because a lot of it was like, "Duh! " I couldn't read the whole thing, not even half. Whoever composed it is a lot dumber than myself and lacks the vast amount of life experience I have.

The article yapped on about comedians or some comedian or person I don't know anyways. Comedians can kiss my a**. Most of them make their livelihood making fun of others tragedies. Period. So, they can cry me a river.

The internet is no source of rage--not in the United States. It just fuels the rage like paper to a fire. And it should be rather evident the internet is belief driven. And people are courage to take a side. To flame the hate and war so some group can accomplish whatever socio-political agenda they have... people are encouraged to be militant and demonize those committing "heresy" on the opposite side.

In most daily interactions with people were people gather to socialize, controversial things are not discussed, or very rarely are they.

When I go over (or went over) some Black-American inner-city friends home to drink beers it briefly goes something roughly like this: we sit on a front porch on a sunny day, crack some beers, and I'll ask, "Hey, you've seen Mike?" and the reply might be something like this, "Man, Mike was over her yesterday, you know what that crazy mutha f***a did...."

Notice, not one of us, nor anyone on the porch, spoke about gay marriage, abortion, Republicans etc.

How you dress in this setting will be more important. How much money you have. If you're ready to physically fight, things like that.

Now, let's look at a comedians "intellectual" representation of a crackhead and discussion of crack addicts.

Chappelles Show-Tyrone Biggums - YouTube

Now, lets look at something that caused me rage long before I ever became familiarized with the internet.

It was not until I got hooked on crack cocaine that young American women began flirting with me. I had actually grown into "looks," my looks improved after I became hooked on crack. Bottom line is that young American women found me attractive not as a responsible, employed, U.S. Marine that wanted an American wife, but as an unemployed crackhead that became financially irresponsible.

But what is dogma (as dogmatic as the Catholic Church's view of the Holy Virgin Mary assumption into heaven) in American society is that: "Aww... sweet, smart, never sinned American women only like men that are just 'good guys' with a job and American women care nothing about a guy's look."

Horse sh*t.

And this dogma is religiously recited on online discussion boards like this. Every dip sh__ in the country believes it.

So, I look nothing like that comedian's crackhead Tyrone. So far removed from him not only did I graduate with honors from community college in the height of my crack addiction, but I had young American women that were alpha females in personality and body types... thinking I was some Goodie Two Shoes square. Little did these infantile women know that I was hooked on crack, doing crack binges, and even having sex with a few men for crack.

I know Americans well. You think I don't know liberal, pro-gay American women aren't repulsed by the idea (and blatantly public statement) that I or another crackhead man had/have sex with men for money or crack? I know this. I graduated with honors while in the worst crack state of mind imaginable.

And I know those same liberal, pro-gay American women (and men too) don't find it any where near as repulsive to read or hear about a male crackhead f*cking some hot looking woman for money or crack.

Now, use you're mind, if you hate fake a** people like me, do you not think I don't know these fake a** pro-gay people deep down in their bellies and subconscious don't regard male homosexual sex as equal to heterosexual sex? I know they don't. Their lies and dishonesty makes me hate them all the more.

(Bearing in mind that even social workers and psychologists go into theories of "harm reduction" for drug addicts as opposed to "zero tolerance" theories--similar to homosexuality and it's correlation to HIV. social workers and psychologists have dropped their "zero tolerance" theories for active homosexuality, and humanize the homosexual, and promote societal enabling of homosexuality.)
Good post. I would relate this a little to what I feel is the rise of shallow "Identity politics", particularly amongst people under 30. People are less connected to their physical communities, and are beginning to relate more to their self-selected interest/ideological groups.

Also, people can't punch you online, so the rhetoric gets much more heated.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post

Yes, interesting post! But OK, if you're hanging with "friends", then doesn't that mean y'all probably already share the same attitudes about most things… including abortion, drugs and politics?

And the reality that a lot of women (black or white) are attracted to "bad boys" isn't new. In fact that's usually a pretty popular subject over in the "relationships" threads!

Although, no offense, but unless I missed the point of the whole "homosexual" rant in your post, why would anybody give a rip about who (or what) folks wanna have sex with to begin with?

But great observation that the internet is often being used now just to re-affirm the beliefs we probably already had!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology