U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:20 PM

15,861 posts, read 32,893,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
While there's never any shortage of violence or "doom and gloom" in the world (climate change, the economy, politics, energy, pollution, etc.), others point to improving trends in areas like health, democracy, technology, and even poverty.

So on the whole, do you think we are "evolving" and gradually improving as a species (psychologically, culturally, physically, spiritually, whatever), or is it basically just "the same old sh*t, different day"?

Evolutionary Psychology
Your question is very confusing. Technically, using the term "evolution" refers to physical, although people do use it in a generic capacity to cover other aspects such as cultural, society, etc.

I do believe that except for the physical, that all aspects of humanity is CONSTANTLY CHANGING, which could be defined, I suppose as evolution. As far as the physical, humanity has not changed significantly for more than 40,000 years, so if we are evolving, it is happening more slowly than we can detect.

20yrsinBranson
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 02:32 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,864 posts, read 9,507,623 times
^ "Confusing" only if you live in Missouri, where apparently "evolution" is still a very scary subject!

Missouri Legislator Introduces Bill To Teach Creationism As A Scientific Theory And To Teach Evolution As A Philosophy

Old 01-29-2014, 03:14 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,292,101 times
No.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooplaman View Post
Intelligence has no correlation to texting and driving. We are society on the go and everyone is multi tasking.
Texting while driving is not multi-tasking, it driving with your head up your butthole. It is called no-tasking.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post
.....I'd be far happier in Dubai or Qatar than United States. I don't like "fake" things and any claim of the USA being better than the quality of life in Qatar is "fake." ....
Both of the places you mention are absolute monarchies with an ultra-conservative form of the Sunni Muslim religion running the society, which covers every aspect of life with strict rules. Furthermore, both are grotesque urban ecological nightmares. The fresh water problem in Qatar is a major crisis for the dinky country bloated by overbuilding and over-population and tourism. Meanwhile, Dubai pours a fortune into processing potable water from the sea for its current needs, and then throws huge amounts of it onto the lawns of golf courses and parks burning in the desert sun. International conferences have repeatedly warned that Dubai cannot sustain this, but the royal family is drunk with grandiosity and forges toward destruction.

You don't like "fake," well, your favourite places are both totally fake.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:03 AM

7,759 posts, read 9,815,649 times
Physically people are taller, faster and stronger. At least those who get in shape are faster and stronger

Old 01-30-2014, 07:23 AM

371 posts, read 635,120 times
I think we are......

Physically, we are living longer than ever before, and we actually look younger than our counterparts from previous generations at our same age.

Socially, at least in this country, I do see a change driven by technology in the way we think. Our kids are receiving way more knowledge than we ever did, thanks to overly ambitious curriculums and the Internet. (I also think their brains are rewiring in new ways from iPad usage and I blame MineCraft! :-)

....and I think history will look at what is happening in the middle east as the last vestiges of middle age barbarism, which I hope, thanks to the Internet and education, will recede in time.

.....and yes, I am an optimist.....

Old 01-30-2014, 07:59 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,864 posts, read 9,507,623 times
^ Great point re: even looking younger. For example from only a hundred years ago, here's a shot of 18 year old Babe Ruth in 1913, with his teammates at St. Mary's Industrial School in Baltimore. And BTW, apparently we're even maturing later, with 20-something becoming the new "teens" (which might explain a lot of things…lol)!

credit: Library of Congress, BRBF

Last edited by mateo45; 01-30-2014 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: link

Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 AM

254 posts, read 285,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Both of the places you mention are absolute monarchies with an ultra-conservative form of the Sunni Muslim religion running the society, which covers every aspect of life with strict rules. Furthermore, both are grotesque urban ecological nightmares. The fresh water problem in Qatar is a major crisis for the dinky country bloated by overbuilding and over-population and tourism. Meanwhile, Dubai pours a fortune into processing potable water from the sea for its current needs, and then throws huge amounts of it onto the lawns of golf courses and parks burning in the desert sun. International conferences have repeatedly warned that Dubai cannot sustain this, but the royal family is drunk with grandiosity and forges toward destruction.

You don't like "fake," well, your favourite places are both totally fake.
I have no problem with them being monarchies. I've been to Dubai and I liked it far more than the United States. I found the people to be far more civilized. I also felt far safer in Dubai than I did in the neighborhood I grew up in America.

Actually, my trip to the UAE was the beginning of my first realization of the lies told in the United States.

I'd go live in either Qatar or Dubai if I could afford it.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:34 AM

1,846 posts, read 1,878,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post
I have no problem with them being monarchies. I've been to Dubai and I liked it far more than the United States. I found the people to be far more civilized. I also felt far safer in Dubai than I did in the neighborhood I grew up in America.

Actually, my trip to the UAE was the beginning of my first realization of the lies told in the United States.

I'd go live in either Qatar or Dubai if I could afford it.
Go ask the migrant workers how much they like Dubai and those ME countries. They take their passports away literally stranding them in the country with no way out. Basically, they are slaves living in subhuman conditions. You don't see them though because they are hidden from plain site. Dubai is nothing but a myth...a mirage in the desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology