Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:11 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times

Advertisements

^ ^ Yeah, and he obviously never heard of the Black Death or the Inquisition (the latter precisely due to arguments over "God")!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunStorm View Post
The rural poverty of the European Middle Ages was far healthier and arguably more psychologically healthier too.

Meaning we are intelligent and the closest creators to the First Creator of all creation: God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 10:27 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well there's a good point, are some "evolving", while a bunch of others are being "dumbed down"?!
So far as evolution goes, the ONLY thing which matters is if a person lives to a point where he/she can reproduce and his/her offspring can do so as well.

So they can be "dumbed down", yet live and reproduce. Then that type will survive. (They can also be too dumb to use birth control and reproduce in vast numbers!)

Old 01-28-2014, 10:38 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
I don't think we humans are as smart as we like to think we are. We have been on this planet for centuries and centuries, but we still haven't learned to simply get along with each other or be able to control our most basic instincts or weaknesses. Fundamentally, people just don't like other people all that much.

It saddens me to think what we could accomplish if we all put aside our differences and stopped killing each other. No child would go to bed hungry, we could defeat our worst diseases, and no Mother would ever have to mourn the loss of one of their children through violence or war ever again.

But it will never happen, we aren't smart enough to ever do any of that. So, no, I don't think we have evolved to any significant degree, and, if anything, we are backsliding.

Don

Old 01-28-2014, 10:56 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
We are in the sense that awareness is spreading around rapidly. That people that we assumed were nice and doing their job really aren't. Senators, Governers, ect, are getting in trouble left and right. We are aware and trying to stop obesity in children with healther eating. We are aware that lowfat foods just add a bunch of sugar to make it taste better. We need longer gym times in schools.The food at schools are getting healthier.We know more and more crazies are in this world between the mental and hackers. We know how to do so much more with medical advances.We also are aware money speaks so the drug companies have a hold on us. Crime is caught more because of DNA.Science is acknowledged as very important and more hands on. While technology is great and I love but it does cause less socialness at times. Less active people because like me, I'm glued to this damn thing too much.Religion is being checked on more with horrible discoveries of abuse and control although this is where our government is good for when one crosses the line.

We are evolving in all kinds of ways. And if you can adapt and realize time doesn't stand still, that life is ever changing. That children will be our teachers and we are theirs.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:26 PM

334 posts, read 585,281 times
This is an interesting question. I am not sure we are evolving, or if we have evolved already. For example, looking at cats and dogs, they seem to have evolved and are static now. I think we people are like that, too. But, it may be we can't see how cats, dogs or ourselves are evolving because our lifespans are too small and even one thousand years is too short a span to notice if we are evolving. I think overall, we are nicer as a group, if not nicer as individuals. I think of how cruel the world seemed to be in olden times.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:17 PM

29 posts, read 33,543 times
We are certainly evolving... it's not like we have any say in the matter. Whether we are evolving in a way that is beneficial to "us" as a group, other species or the earth itself, is another matter altogether

Old 01-28-2014, 06:21 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,455,696 times
BTW, if we are "evolving" as a species, what are we evolving to? BTW, one suggestion is that just as we design and modify our machines to fit our needs…. our technology is also modifying us (culturally, psychologically, and even physically)!

Old 01-29-2014, 12:16 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
What handicaps mankind more than anything is his innate aversion to the truth, being that man is ice to truth, fire to falsehoods. And most of the lying is done to ourselves! Nothing makes us happier than we tell ourselves a lie!

Most people aren't courageous enough to take that trip down the stairs to the basements of our subconscious minds, and until then, is evolution even possible?

When the printed word first came about in the Middle Ages, people were wildly excited about this new invention, as it would lead mankind to the truth and evolution.

And, now, we have the Internet! Same hopes, same excitement! We shall see!

Old 01-29-2014, 02:47 AM

543 posts, read 943,562 times
I have stated this before somewhere and I will say it again.
Western culture is declining on a daily basis. Culturally they reached the zenith in the 1960s. Art(music, cinema), science(space age passion), politics(barring the cold war it was all smooth) and just day to day living was much evolved. A 20 something person was more driven and much more responsible.

This is regression- The reality television craze, the sad state of cinema(rehash, remake, money, money, money), absolutely no progress in the science area(Is any child today interested in Mars the way they must have been in the 60s, Does any kid want to be an astronaut- how many can you name), and I won;t even go into politics and day to day life.

Popping pills like candy to control ADHD is the norm for a 20 something today. Spending hours in front of some LED screen(computer, Ipad, T.V) is the standard of a relaxed happy life. Boxing day sales anyone?

Old 01-29-2014, 04:45 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,044,791 times
I sort of agree with you Rishi...These feminists though will be the total end of western culture. Good thing I am a dual national and can leave the country at anytime. Not sure I would want to raise my kids if it keeps getting worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology