Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 05:54 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Feeling smaller makes people feel paranoid, mistrustful and more likely to think that people are staring or talking about them, a study by Oxford University finds

Short man syndrome really does exist, Oxford University academics have found, after a study showed feeling smaller makes people paranoid, distrustful and scared of others.

Scientists used virtual reality technology to reduce the height of volunteers travelling on a computer-simulated Tube train by 10in (25cm).

Short man syndrome really does exist, Oxford University finds - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:41 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Hmm… humans are pretty adaptable, and I would think there'd be a big difference between how folks feel about themselves once they've adjusted to a real life of being much shorter, way taller, physically handicapped, or otherwise different from the 'norm'… than in a situation like this one where it's been suddenly, unexpectedly (and artificially) imposed on them?!

Old 01-31-2014, 09:15 AM

254 posts, read 318,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Feeling smaller makes people feel paranoid, mistrustful and more likely to think that people are staring or talking about them, a study by Oxford University finds

Short man syndrome really does exist, Oxford University academics have found, after a study showed feeling smaller makes people paranoid, distrustful and scared of others.

Scientists used virtual reality technology to reduce the height of volunteers travelling on a computer-simulated Tube train by 10in (25cm).

Duh. Average or slightly above average height men feel scared, intimidated, and paranoid about their butts when they're in prison with much taller men that have huge muscles from years of lifting weights (when free weights were still allowed).

You need science geeks to produce a study to convey the obvious?

On the flip side of the coin... environment can make "shorter" males (or females) more or less aggressive. Plenty of short aggressive males in the U.S. Marines and Navy SEALs. They're expected to be by the pressures in their cultural environment.

Plus, look what all those tiny men in Southeast Asia (Vietnam) did to taller, heavier Americans in the Vietnam War. You saw incredible endurance and drive in the half million (relatively scantly clad compared to the Americans) Chinese peasant soldiers that crossed over into Korea in the 1950 ad made the big American Army retreat. Dead of winter in subzero temperatures.

The short Mongols--some centuries ago--terrified the much taller and heavier European knights. Not a tall European stopped them. The Muslim Arabs caught hell from the short Mongols too.

That said... in general the larger body frame with larger muscles is not only more intimidating but usually it can cause more destruction to shorter, lighter men. But thankfully we have pistols today. So, at 7 feet tall and 300 lbs you might well murder me with your bare hands but that trusty .45 putting multiple bullets in your stomach will quickly take what fight was in you out of you.

Is there a study called the "Female syndrome" of being a total b*tch is true? Because I'm hazarding a guess life experiences and lessons has taught bought women and shorter men that they have to often (not always) "prove themselves." Just saying.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:23 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
I believe it.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 PM

219 posts, read 436,037 times
Sounds bogus, OP. The study was based on a virtual reality test? How about a real reality study? This study has no cred, zero, zip.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
I believe it because of the movie called Elf.

The Angry Elf - Elf (5/5) Movie CLIP (2003) HD

The Angry Elf - Elf (5/5) Movie CLIP (2003) HD - YouTube

Old 02-01-2014, 03:00 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Yes, I've seen short man syndrome, but what they didn't check out was also short woman syndrome. I've known several women that really did not like being short.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
im 5 ft 9. in CA average. but that does not stop me from being paranoid.
people are harsh when it comes to judging paranoid
my memphis uncle used to say, huck just bek you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get u.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:00 AM

184 posts, read 168,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

This is interesting and not the typical definition of a short man syndrome.

I'm 5'6 and I always thought that short man syndrome was BS because I'm not aggressive at all when it comes to interactions with people (which is how it is usually described) and I'm actually well-liked and thought to be laid back. I have a successful career and make well above the national average in salary at a young age.

However, I have a severe mistrust and paranoia when it comes to women. I believe they are all lying to me about everything (though, I haven't always felt this way...so it might not be due to my height....possibly just my experiences).

I actually barely date now because I figure there's really no point. It's really the most important physical trait to women (except for a rare few) so I'm extremely limited in my options.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:54 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
What about tall man syndrome? Oxygen has to work against gravity to make its way to the brain. Then you end up coming up with proposals like 'info stamps'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology