Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 05:23 PM

279 posts, read 459,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
They lived like dirty, hungry animals and died violent or disease filled deaths, usually as children. Go for it.

Exactly! Sorry, but I like having modern sanitation systems (i.e. using toilets as opposed to digging holes in the ground), hot, running water and a bar of soap, electricity...............all sorts of modern conveniences. Whenever some hippie says they want to "go natural" and live in the woods, I say go! But don't expect me to come with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:05 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,832,178 times
Most people hate working, so join the club. Unless you are independently wealthy, it is a necessary evil.

My advice? Keep jumping from job to job until you find one you are happy with, even if it means multiple career changes. Then once you find what you enjoy doing, do it for a few years and then develop a plan to start your own business.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:17 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Debatable.
That's why I called it a "story."

Way to completely miss the point, by the way.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,520,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That's why I called it a "story."

Way to completely miss the point, by the way.
It would be a story even if it were real.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:53 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,400,164 times
OP, probably the last thing that you should worry about right now is having a wife and kids. If you think it's tough going through the daily grind NOW, imagine having a wife and a couple of kids depending on you. You could possibly grow to resent them for being yet another reason for you to go out every day and do something that you don't like.

There's no saying that you can't take time and write a novel or do what you want to do. You just need to find some type of work that will accommodate that. You mentioned having a business - do you feel that you are pouring too much time into the business at the expense of your other needs? What specifically do you not like about what you do?

Other people have mentioned things like bartering, communal living, living off of the land - why not explore other options and other subcultures? None of these other options are necessarily going to be easy, but seek like-minded people. And counseling couldn't hurt; you don't necessarily need to take "happy pills".

Old 02-05-2014, 07:37 AM

41 posts, read 53,177 times
I agree with OP completely and its a great idea. The tough part is that you probably need to work harder and not lesser to make your dreams come true. If you are like most people, they would fret all their lives and do nothing about it. You on the other hand - being just 24 have a great chance of living your dream.

My advice would be:
- Define clearly what your life should be - not broad terms like " I want to cure cancer or eradicate poverty" but each query- Where would I live, what would I eat, what would the first thing be when I wake up, where would I sleep, what resources do I need on a daily basis, what is my back up plan? and so on.

- Set a timeline. It could be a year from now, 5 years from now or even 10 years from now. This is very important.
- Try living your ideal life - maybe for a day to start with, then a week, then a month and so on...you may realize that your ideal life is also not very interesting ( maybe).

I think overall, you would be surprised on how little we need to survive.

Personally, my goal is to become debt free - almost 75% towards that goal - I run a relatively successful business, have a credit score of 800 plus and enjoy running my business so much that its not work anymore. My freedom is knowing that I can work when I want to. I can be anywhere in the world that has an internet/phone connection and can still be in touch with my clients. I can spend 80% of my time doing what I want, when I want and how I want. The remaining 20% is dependent on business, family and social considerations. Becoming debt free with a valuable skill with which I can turn on the money spigot on will is a truly liberating feeling. It took me nearly 12 years to be where I am - though I know it can be done in a much shorter time.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:42 AM

250 posts, read 399,104 times
It's completely expected to be still trying to sort yourself out in your mid 20s. Many people never get sorted at all!

FWIW as is most likely the case with your college degree, employers pay close attention to people who stay on task and don't get shaken when assigned duties they're not in love with doing. Much of life is also like this unfortunately, and it's that refusal to accept the fact that the rest of your life will remain the same that should motivate you to make changes and maintain upward momentum in your career!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Well, I wouldn't mind...I want to think differently than I do. It's led me to bad places.

Also, I don't think I'm ready for marriage. If I find a wife, I think it would help...but yeah, I have nothing to offer her.

It's just an ideal....but practically speaking, I'm just not in that place yet. Still trying to sort myself out.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,572,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
It would be a story even if it were real.
Well, I am not going to debate theology with you.

Since apparently you aren't grasping the point of the story I relayed, I'll spell it out for you:

Since history began being recorded by mankind, work has been considered rather a curse.

Get it now? I hope so.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:36 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,520,563 times
Quote:
Well, I am not going to debate theology with you.

Since apparently you aren't grasping the point of the story I relayed, I'll spell it out for you:

Since history began being recorded by mankind, work has been considered rather a curse.

Get it now? I hope so.
No, I got the point of the story. It's just weird to use a religious example for supposedly no reason.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 AM

29,700 posts, read 34,240,753 times
Quote:
I'll spell it out for you:

That's why we call it "work" and not "super happy fun times."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology