Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 11:38 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,816,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

My advice would be to forget it and earn your living like the rest of us, and make sure you put away a decent retirement so that as soon as possible you can get to where you want to be. Retirement does seem wasted on the elderly, it would be nice if we could retire at 30, then go back to work at 50, but no one is offering that yet.

Love this idea!

Mind you, even if we had this benefit in place, I'd have to return to work in a few years. Bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 12:44 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,017,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Advice? Other than go to a shrink and swallow a bunch of happy pills? This is no life at all.
Go to a nice, warm, third world country and proceed to live your preferred lifestyle like everyone else there.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:30 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,872,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Go to a nice, warm, third world country and proceed to live your preferred lifestyle like everyone else there.
Until you find out that life isn't so peachy living poor in a 3rd world country and that those poor people are fighting for their life to get by.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:26 PM

757 posts, read 1,100,998 times
Oh man, I feel like this every single day, but I got to do what I got to do. Human existence is the most useless form of existence. We have jobs just for the sake of calling it a job, and employers make us believe we should be "fortunate" to do something that's complete reluctant to mental growth.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:50 PM

231 posts, read 263,872 times
why do you have to work??

because you haven't won the lottery yet. (get on that)
because you are not independantly wealthy.

You think you are wasting your life going to work.. well, if you keep this mentality, you'll waste your lifetime perhaps crying on the way to work (as u stated)..

otherwise, sit home and think about a cure for cancer..or anything else you like.. try it as long as you can. If you end up making money that way, more power to you!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:02 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,441,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Oh man, I feel like this every single day, but I got to do what I got to do. Human existence is the most useless form of existence. We have jobs just for the sake of calling it a job, and employers make us believe we should be "fortunate" to do something that's complete reluctant to mental growth.
I have a job so i can pay rent, i pay rent because i don't want to live on the street.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:08 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,424,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I'm really confused as to why I must give up my time to another in order to be able to eat, live, and clothe myself. I'm on this giant ball with a bunch of other monkeys...and one day I will not be here at all...my time is slowly passing me by, leading me to inevitable nothingness...and you think for one second I'm going to allow any person or any group of people dictate what I must do with my time? It doesn't make sense to me that I have to spend half of my waking life doing something I don't want to do...in a routine...or else I'll be relegated to the streets...hungry, dirty and cold.

Don't get me wrong...I can be a hard worker..but it's on my terms, doing what I want, and getting money because of it has never been the goal. I rather wake up and read...or visit friends and family...or spend time with my wife...or write...or try to solve a problem...or anticipate one...or come to a realization, learn something..or meditate. I even like to think on how to cure cancer, or eradicate homelessness, or eliminate poverty. That's what I like to do, but I like to do those things when and how I want to, and not have them as responsibilities tied to me not eating if I don't.

So explain it to me why I don't get to live the life I want to live.

I've almost killed myself because of this...being told how I must live my life, or else end up homeless, up hungry and cold. I just can't bring myself to not live every second of my life exactly how I want to and when backed into a corner, I've nearly ended it.

I'm 24. Degreed. Have a business. Internship experience. And working experience. So, I'm not lazy. Or maybe I am...

I just don't want to do something I don't want to do for the next 40 years of my life. I mean, I'm dying here...I need to live my life. It's the only chance I'll get to, and someone dare make it so that I can't?

I hate it. I've shown up to work with tears streaming from my face, I hate it so much.

Advice? Other than go to a shrink and swallow a bunch of happy pills? This is no life at all.
There are other opportunities for employment than the one you have chosen that apparently does not make you happy. You may not always love your job, and many don't, but you should at least be able to tolerate the tradeoff you're making with it. If you can't do that (sounds like you can't), then find your own way - plan out a different path in life, quit your job, and go follow that new path. Maybe that new path involves going back to school. Maybe it involves moving to a different country. Maybe it involves taking a pay cut. Whatever it is, you need to have some strategy and then the courage to implement it. It won't go perfectly, and it won't be easy, and you won't get to some nirvana where you have no obstacles or problems. But it can be worth it, and you can be happy.

You can have whatever life you want to lead. There are other paths than the one you're on. You just have to be willing to go get it.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:57 PM

624 posts, read 761,295 times
Become a Buddhist monk

How to Become a Buddhist Monk: 7 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Become a Freegan

: freegan.info

Inspiring dude

The Man Who Lives Without Money

Why work?

http://www.whywork.org/action/lifestyle/jobfree.html

Read up on Anarchist philosophy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchism_and_capitalism

Living without a job can be done, it just seems easier (to me, but I'm a chickensh*t) to just knuckle down and work. Live as frugally as you can and retire early.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:33 PM

624 posts, read 761,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Guy Debord approves of your mindset, OP. As do I, honestly.
I also agree.

Sadly, Guy shot himself in 1994

The suicide of Guy Debord | Books | The Guardian

Here's another link, with lots of other links against working your life away

http://www.whywork.org/about/features/books/books.html

Old 02-24-2014, 03:01 AM

251 posts, read 340,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
Become a Buddhist monk

How to Become a Buddhist Monk: 7 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Become a Freegan

: freegan.info

Inspiring dude

The Man Who Lives Without Money

Why work?

http://www.whywork.org/action/lifestyle/jobfree.html

Read up on Anarchist philosophy

Anarchism and capitalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Living without a job can be done, it just seems easier (to me, but I'm a chickensh*t) to just knuckle down and work. Live as frugally as you can and retire early.
thanks for the links. The "why work?" page mentions Citizen Income as a possible way to accommodate those alternative lifestyles. I'm increasingly convinced that this should be the way forward for progressive democracies. Think of it this way:
- the idea that a growing economy can sustain full employment consistently is highly questionable, and is clearly being challenged by today's economic conditions. Even smart educated people are jobless and "go to school, work hard" is no longer the solution to all of live's problems.
- jobs were traditionally seen as a way for people to make a positive contribution to society, but in today's world many jobs are toxic. From cold callers to lawyers and congressmen, many of today's jobs probably do more damage than good. There should be other ways for people to feed themselves while contributing as citizens, outside of the classic workforce.
- millions of people already rely on a complex web of government support programs. Huge economies of scale could be achieved by consolidating all programs into one "citizen income" scheme.

many people could carve out a very acceptable frugal lifestyle for themselves on a thousand dollars a month. Instead of pumping billions every month into asset purchase programs, give money to people and let interest rate rise to control inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology