Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times

Advertisements

There is no such thing as "autism." It is a made up "malady" - a bunch of symptoms that have been labeled as a "disease" or "condition." It's not really a discreet "thing." People who like labels tend to think that what the labels describe is "real" - but it's not.

Human beings are complicated. Everyone is different. Some people labeled with "autism" have definite symptoms - most tend to be anti-social at best and non-functioning at worst and everything in between the two extremes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:39 PM

142 posts, read 219,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Asperger's Syndrome is qualitatively different from "pure" autism. You probably know this, cloven.

I speak from a position of relative authority on Autism, AND a considerable personal experience with Asperger's -- including a much-loved nephew who has Asperger's Syndrome.
Asperger's syndrome was eliminated from the DSM and doesn't even exist in a technical sense. As Asperger's is just high functioning autism not some separate condition. All Autism no matter the severity is severely disabling socially and developmentally, nearly 90% of autistics are unemployed regardless of functioning.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
There is no such thing as "autism." It is a made up "malady" - a bunch of symptoms that have been labeled as a "disease" or "condition." It's not really a discreet "thing." People who like labels tend to think that what the labels describe is "real" - but it's not.

Human beings are complicated. Everyone is different. Some people labeled with "autism" have definite symptoms - most tend to be anti-social at best and non-functioning at worst and everything in between the two extremes.
Are you out of your mind? I've seen autism in it's most severe form and it's an absolute devastating disability. I think it's a tragedy.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
It most definitely is. To say otherwise is to in complete denial about what this condition is. I know it is hard to accept for those of you who have loved ones afflicted with the condition, but it is the truth.
It's closer along the lines of mental retardation truthfully.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:49 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie89 View Post
Are you out of your mind? I've seen autism in it's most severe form and it's an absolute devastating disability. I think it's a tragedy.
I didn't say it was not a "devastating disability." It's definitely not someone one would aspire to have or for one's child to have - my point was only that it is not what people have been told it is. If you do just a little bit of research, you will see that there is not agreement on what exactly it "is."

It's kind of a subtle point and if you are invested in labels and think they describe particular things, then you won't understand what I am saying. No one is trying to take your "disease" away from you if that is how you prefer to think of it.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I didn't say it was not a "devastating disability." It's definitely not someone one would aspire to have or for one's child to have - my point was only that it is not what people have been told it is. If you do just a little bit of research, you will see that there is not agreement on what exactly it "is."

It's kind of a subtle point and if you are invested in labels and think they describe particular things, then you won't understand what I am saying. No one is trying to take your "disease" away from you if that is how you prefer to think of it.
As I said in my other post above, what I believe it really to be is a form of mental retardation with some atypical aspects. Mental illness? no.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:04 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
It's closer along the lines of mental retardation truthfully.
This word I find to be extremely offensive though.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
As I said in my other post above, what I believe it really to be is a form of mental retardation with some atypical aspects. Mental illness? no.
I guess it makes sense that one could think of autism or Asperger's as a form of partial "mental retardation", partial being in terms of social development. I just read that 3/4th's of autistic (not Asperger's) children have some degree of intellectual disability. This talk of "mental retardation" leaves me wondering what the difference between severely autistic people and mental retardation really is, if there is one, as well as what "mentally retarded" really means and if there's an official, newer, and more polite name for it.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I guess it makes sense that one could think of autism or Asperger's as a form of partial "mental retardation", partial being in terms of social development. I just read that 3/4th's of autistic (not Asperger's) children have some degree of intellectual disability. This talk of "mental retardation" leaves me wondering what the difference between severely autistic people and mental retardation really is, if there is one, as well as what "mentally retarded" really means and if there's an official, newer, and more polite name for it.
The newest PC term is developmental delay.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:31 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
The newest PC term is developmental delay.
Google reroutes "mental retardation" to "intellectual disability", and WebMD provides a good explanation.

Intellectual Disability (Mental Retardation): Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology