U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:58 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,061,744 times

Advertisements

A good therapist did help me a lot with my anger, but I got fed up with paying $100 a week for one 45 minute session. I am tired of western psychology. I'm tired of my therapist relating every single issue back to my horrible parents and upbringing. Granted, I have learned a lot, but I'm ready to explore Buddhism. I think they may have something to teach me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 04:08 PM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
GreenMachine wrote:
A good therapist did help me a lot with my anger, but I got fed up with paying $100 a week for one 45 minute session. I am tired of western psychology.
Maybe this is the actual root of your anger. It appears that you are making great forward strides. And your dog still loves you too!

blessings....Franco

Old 12-05-2007, 05:14 PM

919 posts, read 2,858,314 times
Thank you Kat...it was alot of work, tears and talking, not to mention reading and sharing with others...I still suffer from the aftereffects but at least I do not hurt myself anymore or those around me...so yea, thanks!

Old 12-06-2007, 04:50 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,542,664 times
Also, the Dalai Lama co-authored a book titled Destructive Emotions, which is a neuroscience book, a difficult read but worth it. He also has a book on Anger. He may not be the co-author though.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:01 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,542,664 times
In my youth I used to get very angry and sometimes I would throw or break things. I worked on it a lot. I began working on it more when I was in my 50s and maybe it followed me into my 50s. I found that being in various religious organizations didn't help in the least, not Christianity and not Hinduism. It was when I got into Buddhism that I was helping the most, and I think it was do to Loving Kindness teachings and and Loving Kindness meditation. Those books also helped a lot in that I don't find myself angry at people; instead I look at them and realize that they are suffering, if not they wouldn't be mean or angry, etc. I moved away from Buddhist teachings mainly because I am so tired of religion, the cruelity that goes on in many sects, even Hinduism, and Tibetan Buddism, whereas the Zen group that I was in was only kind towards me and others, and I would be there still just for the peacefulness of being around them, but I moved away and there are no Buddhist groups where I live, but I am organization shy at the moment and probably wouldn't try again. Plus, many of their teachings are beyond my mind of understanding and are so boring. I tend to like Jack Kornfield's books as well as the Dalai Lama's and Thich Nhat Hanh's. I think people have to find what appeals to them. Ruiz really appeals to me too, so I want to get that book you mentioned Redneck and gave you a rep for it.

I never found therapy to be beneficial either GreenMachine. The ones I went to never changed a thing in my life, not my depression nor my anger; instead it increased. I began doing positive thinking and my depression when away. And I was told I was a "tough case to crack." I really never wanted to admit all of this on here, but since others are.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:11 AM

21,902 posts, read 20,899,510 times
I was very fortunate with therapy. I think finding a good therapist and one that can work well with a certain individual is very difficult. I was dealing with "other" problems and not so much depression although that did play a part! It is not for everyone. For me it was a positive part in my life. I have friends, from my group therapy, that could not "connect" with their therapist for one reason or another. Many told me that their therapist also tried to put much of the blame on their parents, family etc. I guess if my therapist had done that we would not have been able to work together either because I had a wonderful childhood. I think I was just lucky to find a therapist I could work with.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:44 AM

7,754 posts, read 16,452,867 times
My favorite Buddhist author is Pema Chodron. She has written a wide variety of really great books. Click this link to see a list of her books available via amazon.com. You can't go wrong with any of her books. They're all good!

blessings....Franco

Old 12-06-2007, 09:12 AM

2,493 posts, read 3,061,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I never found therapy to be beneficial either GreenMachine. The ones I went to never changed a thing in my life, not my depression nor my anger; instead it increased. I began doing positive thinking and my depression when away. And I was told I was a "tough case to crack." I really never wanted to admit all of this on here, but since others are.
Actually my last therapist did help me, but he helped me because he was a caring, loving, understanding individual who offered me support, not because he analyzed my dreams properly. (His big thing was dream analysis.) What was healing was the relationship --- it's the relationship that heals. Support from other people is always important. And yes the positive thinking really does help with depressions. Sounds so simple, but it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology