Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

I sometimes feel life is too intense - emotions overwhelm me - especially fear, and i just feel that pain is too painful, and it dulls pleasure sometimes. I sort of wish things were a bit 'muted', and I was a bit more relaxed, I think it's largely my anxiety. I also feel things affect me too much sometimes. Like I get emotional easily and stuff.

Also being a biological being - the need to urinate, for instance, or eat or anything else, reminds us we are just animals. Sometimes I feel it'd be nice to transcend that, yet then you remember that's all you seem to be (unless you have another essence if you like). I used to think it might be nice to be a robot but it would seem a bit cold/soulless and my existence my feel rather empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 10:31 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I sometimes feel life is too intense - emotions overwhelm me - especially fear, and i just feel that pain is too painful, and it dulls pleasure sometimes. I sort of wish things were a bit 'muted', and I was a bit more relaxed, I think it's largely my anxiety. I also feel things affect me too much sometimes. Like I get emotional easily and stuff.
Perhaps it's related to "Intense World Theory"-
Asperger syndrome and neuroscience - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If the idea intrigues you, you can find more on it.
I just wanted to offer the briefest summary with the above link (and not give you too much info).

Sensory processing disorder might be relevant for what you're experiencing, too.
Sensory processing disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Also being a biological being - the need to urinate, for instance, or eat or anything else, reminds us we are just animals. Sometimes I feel it'd be nice to transcend that, yet then you remember that's all you seem to be (unless you have another essence if you like). I used to think it might be nice to be a robot but it would seem a bit cold/soulless and my existence my feel rather empty.
The corporeality (bodily functions) of being an embodied phenomenon can be challenging to some folks, for various reasons.
This is merely a short abstract, but sounds somewhat like what I'm trying to address-
feeling uncomfortable being stuck inside a body, with the maintenance processes and eventual decay that precedes death.
Fleeing the Body: A Terror Management Perspective on the Problem of Human Corporeality
Quote:
Originally Posted by article summary
This analysis is applied to questions concerning why people are embarrassed and disgusted by their bodies' functions;
The body gives rise to the mind, so we require this undignified wet bag of meat (body) to allow our brains to interface with the world outside our skin.
Having a finite and easily frazzled body is the price we pay for having perception of our environment and being able to act upon it/interact with it.
I have to use these intellectual justifications (from reading neurology & psychology books) to help me tolerate the aggravations of sensory hypersensitivities.
I understand it can be a hassle and bothersome existing in a body (and I seek out strategies to make it less stressful), yet I realize there really is no alternative.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:19 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Perhaps it's related to "Intense World Theory"-
Asperger syndrome and neuroscience - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If the idea intrigues you, you can find more on it.
I just wanted to offer the briefest summary with the above link (and not give you too much info).

Sensory processing disorder might be relevant for what you're experiencing, too.
Sensory processing disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The corporeality (bodily functions) of being an embodied phenomenon can be challenging to some folks, for various reasons.
This is merely a short abstract, but sounds somewhat like what I'm trying to address-
feeling uncomfortable being stuck inside a body, with the maintenance processes and eventual decay that precedes death.
Fleeing the Body: A Terror Management Perspective on the Problem of Human Corporeality
The body gives rise to the mind, so we require this undignified wet bag of meat (body) to allow our brains to interface with the world outside our skin.
Having a finite and easily frazzled body is the price we pay for having perception of our environment and being able to act upon it/interact with it.
I have to use these intellectual justifications (from reading neurology & psychology books) to help me tolerate the aggravations of sensory hypersensitivities.
I understand it can be a hassle and bothersome existing in a body (and I seek out strategies to make it less stressful), yet I realize there really is no alternative.
Yes, exactly. While there are moments of pleasure in life, I feel that the saying 'my only relief is happiness' (which I thought of to describe my situation) might actually be the case for most, the human condition. I feel hedonism and the pursuit of pleasure is really sort of like trying to 'self-medicate' from the pain and suffering that is life. Various religious traditions and schools of thoughts have lamented that life seems to be primarily about suffering: it's not really just being pessimistic, IMO, life is generally short and brutish for most people, even now, in relative terms. It also seems sometimes the worst pain is way worse than the best pleasure/joy is good. But again, perhaps we need to be cognisant of the big picture?

Old 02-20-2014, 06:26 PM

166 posts, read 278,293 times
Yeah I can actually feel my emotions in my chest. Like right now I'm in my intellectual/thinking mode, so I have this kind of musty/hard feeling in my chest. If I feel happy my chest feels lighter, if I feel really sad my chest feels really hard and sends a burning sensation almost. The thing I learned is that I can control it, but my depression gets in the way so I can't feel happy all of the time. If I were to try and feel happy right now (I feel a little depressed-like a 4) my brain would send a signal to my chest and give me a painful feeling to override my lighter feeling. Usually it comes into the form of a thought.

"You are so ugly..." and my chest will start to feel painful and the happy light feeling I had will start to go away. I'll try and stay happy, but with every word I say the pain will get worse and worse until I stop.

It's kinda weird.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:42 AM

3 posts, read 6,273 times
Quote:

It's ok there is nothing wrong with you, I feel the same at times, many people do. Life is up and down all of the time. We prefer to feel good and positive. The darkness always passes, and clearer skies always come. You just have to ride out the storm and try to be kinder to yourself when things get tough. Talk to people who you trust who care about you and love you and ALWAYS remember you are not all alone in this world no matter how completely alone you feel. I understand. Read this when you are down it might help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology