Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:42 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times

Advertisements

Many years ago I worked on an inpatient psychiatric ward. One of the patients was a guy in his late 20s that was a true sociopath. I can still remember his mother saying that from the moment he was born, he never wanted to be held, cuddled, or have emotional/physical contact with her or others. She and her husband had 2 other children who seemed very happy and looked like a close family, except for him. All of his interactions with his parents, siblings, and virtually everyone he came in contact with had one purpose - manipulation. He was a handsome and well educated guy so people would initially gravitate to him but, it didn't take long to figure out he lived to enjoy other people's suffering. Most often I think character is formed by early childhood attachments and learning but I do think there might be the occasional "bad seed" who is born with a predisposition to be less than wholesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 12:48 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
What if the brains of sociopaths could be fixed? | Fox News

I think we're just in our infancy when it comes to understanding the complexities of the human brain. I do believe that some people are just bad seed in the genetic gene pool and with others it's learned bad behavior.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 PM

544 posts, read 610,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Many years ago I worked on an inpatient psychiatric ward. One of the patients was a guy in his late 20s that was a true sociopath. I can still remember his mother saying that from the moment he was born, he never wanted to be held, cuddled, or have emotional/physical contact with her or others. She and her husband had 2 other children who seemed very happy and looked like a close family, except for him. All of his interactions with his parents, siblings, and virtually everyone he came in contact with had one purpose - manipulation. He was a handsome and well educated guy so people would initially gravitate to him but, it didn't take long to figure out he lived to enjoy other people's suffering. Most often I think character is formed by early childhood attachments and learning but I do think there might be the occasional "bad seed" who is born with a predisposition to be less than wholesome.
It sounds to me like the mom/dad tried to hug/cuddle the kid against his will. They didn't let the kid live his own life. They probably emotionally abused the heck out of their kid, b.c they expected the kid to meet the needs of the parents instead of the parents meeting the needs of the kids.

Often times, when a kid ends up being a sociopath/severe pych issues, and the parents seem "perfectly normal".. there is a lot of evil lurking in the secrets of the parents.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I'm not convinced that evil exists. I suspect that what we call evil is just something that we don't yet understand.

An extreme example, people with epilepsy were at one time considered to be possessed by the devil. That seems ridiculous now, but now we understand at least the basics of epilepsy.

For all I know, the people who behave badly and in an anti-social way were born with a brain defect and they don't process information the way the rest of us do. It's not evil; it is just faulty wiring.

Things like volcanoes blowing up and killing populations, that is not evil, either. That is just Mother Nature doing what she does.

Not that I don't think people who can't behave without harming others should not be locked up or executed. If they can't be loose in society without causing harm, they need to be removed from society. But just because we don't understand why they do what they do, does not mean that they are evil.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:16 AM

393 posts, read 409,413 times
Lord of the Flies. I believe, as we see less and less restraint on society for people "doin what they feel like", and less consequences, bad behavior, not necessarily evil will increase. Then with increased bad, evil will win out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology