Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2014, 07:29 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
There's really nothing more arrogant or obnoxious than a person who has never suffered from or been personally exposed to clinical depression stating they don't think it exists. I'd say count your blessing, do some serious research, and keep quiet on the topic until you are better educated on the subject.
Well said.

I'm personally sick of posts like this. It's always the people who think depression is "being sad" and whom have never truly experienced what it's like to live with it for months on end....or even years on end.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:59 PM

541 posts, read 861,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
Loved this!
I do worry that big pharma is creating drugs and not testing them enough for safety or efficiency. Don't like that some Doctors prescribe them even though there are many possible side effects and may not help or make things worse. On the other hand, if someone is suffering badly and cannot properly cope with their life unless they get some pharmaceutical help, is it right to say they should just "suck it up and deal"?

Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
We often think of people with depression as being morose or sullen, both the depressed and those he comes into contact with may notice one emotion in this illness, anger.

So it is pretty "normal" (for lack of a better word) for these depressed people to lash out at loved ones or even strangers, and seem uncharacteristically consumed with rage.
You're right; it isn't at all that unusual for someone with depression to express irritability or anger.

Interestingly enough, also, there are many people out there that are perceived as very funny that struggle with anxiety, depression, and other illnesses. I find that many people use humor as a coping mechanism.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:52 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
The people who tend to buy into current conventional "wisdom" about depression, tend not to look very deeply at potential causes . . . I just recently read that after several studies, there is no convincing evidence for the "chemical imbalance" theories that the drug companies hoodwinked most of the non-thinking public into swallowing whole.

If you have a history of "bad feelings" (to deconstruct "depression"), it could be due to many, many factors - most of which you have control over.

To not look into actual root causes (which could be diet, habitual negative loop thinking, spiritual/emotional angst, etc.) is typical surface-y thinking - the "just pop a pill and all will be well" variety . . .

If your life is unhappy - change your circumstances, change your thinking, change your habits, change your diet, etc. Try EFT, try Flower Essences, try meditation, dabble in creative expression . . . do something different . . . get curious about your "malady" - to pop a pill and call it a day is sheer laziness.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Do more research to understand depression. It has a lot more to do with circumstances.

I have a good marriage, job, am financially stable, wonderful kids. Yet I find myself strangely sad. I exercise regularly, yoga 3-4 times a week and running 4-5 times a week. It isn't something you snap out of for crying on the mud.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Do more research to understand depression. It has a lot more to do with circumstances.

I have a good marriage, job, am financially stable, wonderful kids. Yet I find myself strangely sad. I exercise regularly, yoga 3-4 times a week and running 4-5 times a week. It isn't something you snap out of for crying on the mud.
There is a reason, though. You have just not discovered it. It could be a core wound that has not been processed, negative thinking loops that you are unconscious of that perpetuate negative feeling states, etc. There is some REASON . . . and it is up to you to find out what it is.

Depression is not a primary condition. It is usually rage turned inward . . . or it could be unprocessed grief.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:04 PM

"Crying on the mud?"

At least "act as if" there might be a reason and try some new, holistic remedies. You might be surprised.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
I have known several people over the years who claim they have a mental illness and take medication to treat their depression. Problem is, all of these people are still depressed and never seem to nail down that perfect drug or perfect combination of drugs to cure themselves or treat the illness to the point they can say they are less depressed. This is because there is no cure for a mythological illness, I think depression is simply a copout and making people into legal drug addicts on meds that can many times make matters worse up to and including suicide. Get clean, its not working. There isn't a cure because its a state of mind for those who believe a pill can make them cope with life, the answer is within and requires belief in oneself and the power of their minds.

I don't believe in the myth of depression, the biggest mental health problem of our time. The problem is a lack of initiative, looking for an easy way out and buying into the 'chemical imbalance' BS. I call BS.

Discuss...
I know people who have heart disease; take pills ;yet they still have heart disease and limits in life. So what is Ops point? Take their pills away and likely the either revert to worse or die as many do everyday not treated.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
The people who tend to buy into current conventional "wisdom" about depression, tend not to look very deeply at potential causes . . . I just recently read that after several studies, there is no convincing evidence for the "chemical imbalance" theories that the drug companies hoodwinked most of the non-thinking public into swallowing whole.

If you have a history of "bad feelings" (to deconstruct "depression"), it could be due to many, many factors - most of which you have control over.

To not look into actual root causes (which could be diet, habitual negative loop thinking, spiritual/emotional angst, etc.) is typical surface-y thinking - the "just pop a pill and all will be well" variety . . .

If your life is unhappy - change your circumstances, change your thinking, change your habits, change your diet, etc. Try EFT, try Flower Essences, try meditation, dabble in creative expression . . . do something different . . . get curious about your "malady" - to pop a pill and call it a day is sheer laziness.
I agree with this on a general level. Louise Hayes has a great book about "illnesses" and the real root causes, which goes against the grain. On the other hand, your solutions may work for some, just like a pill might work for some. It's all in the person's beliefs. If they truly believe the pill is the only solution, then eventually they will find a pill that works for them. IF they try poppin pills, while harboring skepticism about the PILL(or anything really ever solving the issue), then most likely the pill would not be the best solution. The same goes for meditation--if a person believes that meditating can actually benefit their lives, reduce stress, and clear their mind, then eventually that is what they will experience. If they don't believe they can "calm" their thoughts down and deep down believe meditating is silly, then even if they "attempted it" and told themselves they were really trying, due to their beliefs about meditation it probably won't fix that root issue. Ultimately a pill, meditation, flower essences, etc are all are the same things to me--just devices that are taken to fix the problem. The basis in which these devices work, depend on the individual.. What makes one device better than the other, is whether the client can believes(truly believes) that it will work for them. It's not "lazy" to pop a pill, no more than it is silly to pretend to meditate and "calm" your mind, and then you still feel depressed about your life the moment you snap out of it. The whole "pills are bad/drugs are bad" but XYZ is better for you, is silly--they ALL are different means to an end. The mean chosen is best evaluated by the person who selects it and whether that person believes it can work...

Old 02-28-2014, 11:53 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I know how I feel with SAMe and without SAMe. It's OTC here and prescribed in Europe for depression. I've been on it for years and won't quit. It also has other benefits, liver health, joint health...

Walk a mile in another person's moccasins. Be thankful you don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology