Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 10:08 AM

2,430 posts, read 2,762,980 times

Advertisements

OH we know it when we see it, but we don't all understand what is causing it.

If the PRESIDENT came of TV and started balling and saying we are doomed.....It might be depression. It might be the final BOOMERANG from meddling in other peoples affairs around the WORLD.

If a Baby is balling it could be hungry, something might hurt or it may need diapers changed.

These are all guesses and any fool can guess.

The good SHRINKS study the brain... by looking at it and recording it and taking pictures.

Depression can come from disappointment...but hard core clinical depression.... can come from a bad diet, bad behavior, chemical toxicity--- Malnourishment, Tumor, lesions, sports, lack of sleep or sunshine, oxygen.

Life is not that simple, WORK ON IT.......and get a second opinion from an expert at a good teaching hospital.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:00 PM

25,440 posts, read 17,128,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Comparing depression to diabetes is ridiculous. As has been posted, the claims that were made by the drug industry in the 90's to promote their products (i.e., the "chemical imbalance" theory) have been debunked.

The brain doesn't just "go bad" for no reason (no injury or pathogen).
You can write it in purple have jets write it in the sky.

But no one has debunked the chemical imbalance theory. In fact, it is not even a theory. Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors work on clinical depression. There are many thousands of people who live better and more productive lives because of them.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:53 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,058,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanantoniomike View Post
what do you think did it?
I'd like to hear what imcurious thinks first, since they feel I didn't have a mental break for no reason as there was no injury or pathogen.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was on a/d's for a while. I was amazed at how clearly I could think and how I was able to get up and get things done. I was also in therapy and taking it seriously because I wanted to get better and change my life. The therapist described it as learning to ride a bike--the therapy is learning to ride the bike and the a/d's help you get started by giving you a push. In other words, having the clarity of thought and the ability to get up, get dressed, and get moving that the meds provided enabled me to do the work required by therapy. I no longer take the anti-depressants because I've learned to manage the depression and other issues I had, but I do sometimes miss having that quiet mind that the a/d's provided.

Note that this is my experience only. Someone with much more severe depression may have to rely on the a/d's to survive. I didn't care much if I lived or died, but I wasn't suicidal.

Re the bolded--the doctor who prescribed the anti-depressants said to me one day, "You do realize that you are all guinea pigs, right? There is so much we don't know about the brain. Fifty years from now, psychiatrists will say, 'what the HELL were they doing?' But research is going on and for now, this is the best we have."

So, I took meds that made me feel more normal mentally, but they also made my toes twitch and move on their own.

I am so happy you have learned how to manage your depression. Bravo to you. You are one of the lucky ones.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:07 PM

260 posts, read 604,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I was on a/d's for a while. I was amazed at how clearly I could think and how I was able to get up and get things done.
That pills alleviate your symptoms of depression still doesn't mean that depression constitutes a disease.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:13 PM

20 posts, read 25,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Comparing depression to diabetes is ridiculous. As has been posted, the claims that were made by the drug industry in the 90's to promote their products (i.e., the "chemical imbalance" theory) have been debunked.

The brain doesn't just "go bad" for no reason (no injury or pathogen).
Ok. Let me first state that depression and diabetes can be likened as both can be either mild or major and at times even uncontrollable. You can be predisposed to both through genetics. Both impact your ability to live life like you did prior to its onset. Depression is a real disease that no one wants. I hate knowing something is wrong but not being able to put my finger on it. I hate the fact that it takes away my ability to enjoy things. Why would anyone want that? If chemical imbalance and hormones do not trigger depression then why is it a major symptom in menopausal women? The brain is a complicated thing that we can study until we're blue in the face and still not truly understand. Heaven forbid any of you who profess it's non-existence ever find yourselves in a major depression. As someone who has reached a point of attempted suicide (and thankfully survived), it is a slap in the face to hear "oh, it's made up " or "just snap out of it". Please remove yourselves from your high horses and quit reading bargain basement books meant to put nonsensical ideas in your heads.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:19 PM

31,949 posts, read 14,955,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
That pills alleviate your symptoms of depression still doesn't mean that depression constitutes a disease.
Depression is a mental illness and considered a disease. It's also a stigma against those that are affected by this which is so sad.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:40 PM

20 posts, read 25,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You can write it in purple have jets write it in the sky.

But no one has debunked the chemical imbalance theory. In fact, it is not even a theory. Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors work on clinical depression. There are many thousands of people who live better and more productive lives because of them.
Thank you! It is still accepted in the medical field that chemical imbalance as well as "misfiring" connections in the brain cause depression and other mental illnesses. I don't know who supposedly debunked it. Myth busters, perhaps?

Old 03-09-2014, 03:31 AM

5,363 posts, read 3,857,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Chemical imbalance is very real. I've done so much research on this and I have never run across any article where it was debunked. And mental illness can happen anytime in your lifetime. No one really knows what triggers it because no one is an expert on the brain.
Chemical imbalance is real; no one actually knows at the moment how to properly describe/explain/predict the chemical imbalance that constitutes "depression" or the many other mental health maladies that we may or may not agree upon as "existing"--including all psychiatrists and all pharmaceutical companies (critically). End of thread? (I won't actually mean to impose an end to the discussion here...although the agreement that this comment should command would in fact "end the thread", given that no one here is in the position to conduct massive groundbreaking neuroscientific research anytime soon (I assume))

Old 03-09-2014, 06:25 AM

198 posts, read 273,238 times
Wink Re: Depression is Not an Illness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
I have known several people over the years who claim they have a mental illness and take medication to treat their depression. Problem is, all of these people are still depressed and never seem to nail down that perfect drug or perfect combination of drugs to cure themselves or treat the illness to the point they can say they are less depressed. This is because there is no cure for a mythological illness, I think depression is simply a copout and making people into legal drug addicts on meds that can many times make matters worse up to and including suicide. Get clean, its not working. There isn't a cure because its a state of mind for those who believe a pill can make them cope with life, the answer is within and requires belief in oneself and the power of their minds.

I don't believe in the myth of depression, the biggest mental health problem of our time. The problem is a lack of initiative, looking for an easy way out and buying into the 'chemical imbalance' BS. I call BS.

Discuss...
You are so wrong. Depression is a not-well-understood illness yet, but it is an illness. There are actual ways to measure chemical imbalances...and there are ways through DNA analysis to figure out which antidepressant is the one that will work best for you. Unfortunately, insurance companies won't pay for these things yet.

I know that you are just looking to pick a fight with this thread, but I won't get into it with you. Depression is an illness; stupidity is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.