Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:29 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times

Advertisements

I skimmed the responses but I do agree that for some there is a chemical imbalance where meds can help. Finding the right meds and dosage or combo can take time. Also for many meds can assist but the person also has to do self work. Often working on the underlying issues one may have in life that contribute, healthy coping skills, therapy can also help in treating depression. Sometimes just taking meds is not enough and one has to change their behaviors and life if that makes sense.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:22 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I am so happy you have learned how to manage your depression. Bravo to you. You are one of the lucky ones.
It's not as if it's all gone and I never have bad times. I do, more frequently than I would like. But somehow I'm able to keep going. Acceptance of certain things is difficult but I try and will likely have to make the effort to try until I die. Sometimes I think I would like to go back on the meds, but other times if I do things like exercise regularly, I begin to feel better. It doesn't bring the clarity of thought, but it calms the sense of doom.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 PM

88,570 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
That pills alleviate your symptoms of depression still doesn't mean that depression constitutes a disease.
I didn't say it was. As someone else said, I'll leave it to the educated people who study and research depression to determine how to classify it. All I can say is that something has been terribly wrong since I was about six years old that has gotten worse at times throughout my life, and the first time I felt it alleviated was when I was on an SSRI in my forties.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:25 PM

43 posts, read 45,555 times
depression is extremely delibiltating. to say it's not an illness is offensive, IMO.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryManback View Post
What's wrong with forming opinions from personal experience? That's called science. I've collected data and made valid inferences from it. Concepts like the mind, free will, etc., are far from being understood because the human brain is far more complex than any other physical system we know of; thus, there's even more room for me to base my opinions off personal experience. I'm telling you, anyone can beat depression on their own. If you force yourself to change your behavior in the right way, your emotional state will change accordingly.
Hurry...publish your doctoral thesis on your findings before someone else beats you to it....

If only it WERE this simple.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't say it was. As someone else said, I'll leave it to the educated people who study and research depression to determine how to classify it. All I can say is that something has been terribly wrong since I was about six years old that has gotten worse at times throughout my life, and the first time I felt it alleviated was when I was on an SSRI in my forties.
I've struggled with depression on and off since I was a child. Before SSRI's, I'd get physically ill during depressive bouts.

I have no idea how to classify depression but I know it is real and it is something I have no control over. It just happens. For me some of it is seasonal as I will always have a bout of depression in the winter but I get them in the summer too. Just not predictably. I think some of it may have been hormonal because I have fewer issues since going through menopause.

What I find interesting is the times I wasn't depressed. When my dad died and after giving birth. They watched me like a hawk after I had my girls but I was fine. Those are times you would think would be typical for depression and I weathered them fine. I was depressed after my mom died but she died in the winter and I always struggle in February. Lack of sunlight seems to be a trigger for me but sunlight is no guarantee. Lack of it however is. Without SSRI's, I'd gain 50 pounds every winter and hibernate. They get me through the rough patches.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:32 PM

5 posts, read 4,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
We all know CEOs with top tier 6 figure incomes in the pharma industry are impartial, truth telling angels who are only looking out for YOUR best interest.
Pharma top tier CEOs with 6 figure incomes? You grossly underestimate their income! But that's a topic for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology