Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 09:38 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackmaxx View Post
Thanks for the good, no, great discussion. I didn't expect it and no I am not trolling but did thought this could devolve into a firestorm of negativity but it has not.

I probably make this assumption due to a to be brother in law who all I am aware of takes Xanax but probably is on other meds too really, really goes crazy when anyone disagrees. Topics such as disagreeing with Obama results in a barrage of personal attacks on how stupid the person is and ends up in face book unfriending and actual real world unfriending...over politics. Oddly enough, at one point he told me its all friendly, nothing personal and he enjoys the debate?
3/10

FACE PALM - YouTube

Old 02-28-2014, 09:51 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,623 times
I agree with the OP that depression is not an illness, but for an entirely different reason.

Illness comes when the body is invaded by outside influences. Usually by bacteria, etc. Then you have illness caused when the body is ovverrun (colds and flus are not actually illnesses, they are the body's natural reaction to disorder and overwork). Likewise you have, mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia and weird body image hangups. And then you have emotions like happiness (mania), sadness (depression), fear (phobias), and so on that are simply extended past their normal point.

So no, depression is not an illness. You are not "sick" or "disturbed" but normal. You still need to be helped, but you don't "need help."

Old 02-28-2014, 09:57 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I agree with the OP that depression is not an illness, but for an entirely different reason.

Illness comes when the body is invaded by outside influences. Usually by bacteria, etc. Then you have illness caused when the body is ovverrun (colds and flus are not actually illnesses, they are the body's natural reaction to disorder and overwork). Likewise you have, mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia and weird body image hangups. And then you have emotions like happiness (mania), sadness (depression), fear (phobias), and so on that are simply extended past their normal point.

So no, depression is not an illness. You are not "sick" or "disturbed" but normal. You still need to be helped, but you don't "need help."
Can you elaborate on this?

I suppose you meant to say depression is not craziness or a character flaw. If that is the case, then I agree with you.

There is a stigma associated with mental condition or mental illnesses.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:18 AM

417 posts, read 867,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post

Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
So then what happened to your depression and severe panic attacks?
As you age, you learn better ways of coping.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:30 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,179,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post

You haven't the slightest clue of what you're talking about. One of the biggest misconceptions that people have in regards to depression, is that they think it's a state of mind. They hear the word depression and think that it means someone is sad/depressed. Sadness is only a small part of clinical depression, as true depression and anxiety disorders are caused by chemical imbalances in the body. Someone with a legit anxiety disorder is not anxious because they choose to be anxious about something. They are anxious because they're sympathetic nervous system doesn't work correctly. This isn't caused by a state of mind; it causes the state of mind.

And just because the body is not being invaded by outside influences does not me illness doesn't take place. By that logic cancer, ALS, or Parkinson's wouldn't be considered illnesses.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:40 AM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
You haven't the slightest clue of what you're talking about. One of the biggest misconceptions that people have in regards to depression, is that they think it's a state of mind. They hear the word depression and think that it means someone is sad/depressed. Sadness is only a small part of clinical depression, as true depression and anxiety disorders are caused by chemical imbalances in the body. Someone with a legit anxiety disorder is not anxious because they choose to be anxious about something. They are anxious because they're sympathetic nervous system doesn't work correctly. This isn't caused by a state of mind; it causes the state of mind.

And just because the body is not being invaded by outside influences does not me illness doesn't take place. By that logic cancer, ALS, or Parkinson's wouldn't be considered illnesses.
Exactly, I agree.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:45 AM

251 posts, read 341,124 times
What Should We Call Depression? | New Republic

you should check out this articles. Not all depressions are the same.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:29 PM

527 posts, read 686,409 times
The OP has got to be a troll, plain and simple. As someone stated above, depression is not synonymous with sadness, and is a clinical condition, and plenty of people find a lot of help with therapy and meds. This was a stupid threat to start.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:49 PM

417 posts, read 867,272 times
Well I find it funny than how trolling sparks a productive discussion of 7 pages in less than 24 hours. I'm not much into internet labeling but I can assure you I am not a plastic toy with colored hair and a jewel on my belly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology