Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 11:48 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Best described as "survivor guilt" which has no place in your life.

We commence the process of adulthood through the puberty frame of time of accepting the fact that our lives take the course we plot through our decision making process.

You only need to ask yourself one question to determine to what effect and severity your role played:

Is it your belief that had you not been anything more than a casual observer in your husband's life the end result would have been markedly different.

Can you honestly say, without attaching qualifiers and what ifs, that had you simply been a casual bystander instead of taking a nurturing role, his demise would have been patterned measurably different?

Thx for that, really. No... "measurably different" ...no. Therapy has convinced me he would have died anyway...some of my friends say he would have died sooner. But every now & then, a dumbass voice deep down inside me says, " maybe if you'd left & stayed gone instead of coming back 3 times....maybe he would have straightened his life out. Maybe he would have met a stronger woman who would've brow beat him into sobriety". It's an irrational maybe I know...but it shows up unannounced once in a while anyway.

It doesn't surprise me that the OP hasn't come back to this thread...didn't seem like he was ready to face the truth. Certainly an understandable part of human nature I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 03:33 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
That is really sad...and sadly really common.
My heart goes out to you. I'm so glad you mentioned having PTSD. I was diagnosed with it as well, and I never share that with anyone in my family or circle of friends. For starters most of them couldn't handle having to know that - way too uncomfortable given our family dynamics. But I also don't bring it up because so many people I know think only military vets can get PTSD, for everyone else it's just psycho-babble. But I've been there too - I get you, stormynh. I know I should have my sh*t together by now - it's been 8 years since he died. But it was 18 years of a slow downward spiral that led up to his death. It's those moments, in all those years, those memories that come out of nowhere & force me to relive a little bit of hell I thought I'd forgotten. That's the stuff I wish alcoholics could see - what it's doing to those they love.

Thanks....amazing how it changes you. It has made me a kinder caring person I grant that. I just can't get sometimes that he is dead just so weird and how he was so good and sooooo bad sometimes.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 PM

16 posts, read 17,841 times
I am an ex-wife of an alcoholic and the MIL of an alcoholic, who is currently not drinking.

You are both adults. You met when you were adults. As adults you have to make your own decisions about how and what you do. You cannot change the other person. It simply will not work. No matter how much you want it to.

You need to stop and think. Are you willing to live with her, as she is, for another 10 years? 15 years? For the rest of your life? What you decide about that is what you should do. Nobody can tell you what is the right thing for you to do.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:34 PM

16 posts, read 17,841 times
Don't forget that the alcoholic has to want to stop drinking. My DIL has stopped but she has missed 3 of her counseling appointments, quit her job so she could look for an "in-house" treatment and she's been around one of the people who used to bring her bottles of alcohol in return for modeling.

My son is ready to leave. He has been to all of his counseling appointments and has a good job and pays his bills. He is, also, worried that without something to occupy her when he is working that she will start drinking again. He is 32, she is 27.

My DIL would drink so much that she would not be able to eat.

Several years ago she had a miscarriage and all I could think was "Thank God". Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is not something I would wish on anyone. She hadn't stopped drinking yet at all.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:53 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgeer View Post
I am an ex-wife of an alcoholic and the MIL of an alcoholic, who is currently not drinking.

You are both adults. You met when you were adults. As adults you have to make your own decisions about how and what you do. You cannot change the other person. It simply will not work. No matter how much you want it to.

You need to stop and think. Are you willing to live with her, as she is, for another 10 years? 15 years? For the rest of your life? What you decide about that is what you should do. Nobody can tell you what is the right thing for you to do.
The worst possible scenario you can imagine is loving someone to the extent you will sacrifice what you know as a normal loving and nurturing relationship with someone who is capable of reciprocating in a like manner to instead, live a life with someone who requires your constant compromise.

Ultimately you may end up hating this person and it's better said now; that is not the way you would or should enter any long term relationship with that distinct possibility being already apparent.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:33 AM

17 posts, read 15,468 times
Default Worst Drug on Earth

I'm serious. I've been witness to alcohol literally taking over and destroying several of my friends. I hate everything about it - yes, it IS a drug.

Addicts do not change unless THEY HAVE TO. They have to decide and commit to doing it. IF you threaten them, intimidate them, or criticize them, they drink even more - behind your back.

You say you love her. OK!!! SHE IS AN ALCOHOL ADDICT. That's a HUGE part of her entire personality.
Love means all - total - complete - everything. You best open your eyes and make dang sure you want to have your heart invested in a woman who lives alcohol too. Trust me, you do not want to stay with her. It gets worse - much worse, and it always does.

I assume you don't know much about addicts. Tisk tisk.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
The subject of alcoholism is boring to me although I do like Carl Jung better than Sigmond Freud.
Freud would have suggested to the subject that they were repressing sexual feelings of their mother and prescribe them a generous dose of cocaine. Jung would have told the subject, "I cannot help you. You may rest your hope on the pursuit of a rare but effective religious experience that might effect a needed psychic change." Today, a treatment facility might convince the subject that they suffer from a disease that requires a prescription to some pharmaceutical wonder drug, but that aftercare should include attendance to A.A. meetings, which does NOT adhere to the "disease model", but will give the caregiver an out when the subject fails, stating that the subject may not be helped by A.A. afterall, but should continue taking the meds and seeking psychiatric evaluation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Not everyone will listen to this crap. Or, I really should be more understanding and sometimes I am but there is nothing wrong with eliminating the gene pool of alcoholics by their own elimination, is there?
But alcoholism is not a new phenomena. They've existed in our midst since perhaps before the times of Noah.

Yet... the rare alcoholic transcends millennia, cultures, etc. Some do in fact die off, but extinction has not taken place.

We've done nothing to answer the questions... why do some become alcoholics to begin with... how does it propagate, how can it be eradicated?

A.A. had the forsight to look at mistakes from the past and steer clear, namely the fallacy of the Washingtonians, who tried to reach too far and solve problems beyond its own experience. A.A. is for alcoholics, period. No one else.

A.A. does not believe that alcoholism is a disease.

Let me repeat that.

A.A. does not believe that alcoholism is a disease... nor an addiction.

Anybody can become an addict. Anybody can become a non-addict, thusly.

Alcoholism is a very selective malady. A non-alcoholic cannot drink themselves alcoholic.

Anyone who does not understand this should read The Chapter to Wives from the A.A. book. It describes the chronic alcoholic... the one with the most hope of recovery ironically, the garden variety alccoholic, the potential alky, and the hard drinker.

Many don't agree with the A.A. definition of alcoholism. That's of no consequence to me. I know that it's the best description of the thing to date. You're alcoholic if you find that A) you cannot control the amount once you start and B) you cannot keep from the 1st drink for long on your own willpower. If you can do A or B when given a sufficient reason, you ain't alky.

If you can get and stay sober without A.A., do it.

Then come back in here and tell us your success story.

I'm sober 11+ years now. I have a great marriage, a good relationship with much of my family, a host of friends, opportunity to help my community, recreation, health, a healthy diet, etc.

I am responsible for my sober life. My wife expects me to remain spiritually fit. I can offer help to a distraught drunk with no answers. I cannot get them sober. I can show them what I did. If they want to get and stay sober, I can practically do no wrong to them. If they don't, I can do no right.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 829 times
Thank you for all these posts. I'm dating an alcoholic and I'm slowly accepting that I need to let him go. my love will not heal him and his disease won't let me lead a life of peace that I'm searching for. God bless you all.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:20 PM

360 posts, read 712,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
It doesn't surprise me that the OP hasn't come back to this thread...didn't seem like he was ready to face the truth. Certainly an understandable part of human nature I guess.
I still come back to read. I just haven't wanted to share any more. I appreciate all of the insight.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:11 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
I still come back to read. I just haven't wanted to share any more. I appreciate all of the insight.

The people who have posted here are truly interested I believe in helping you solve your dilemna with your partner. That's because most of us have had to deal with an alcoholic partner, spouse, family member, or close friend. Even if you don't want to go into details, can you give us some sort of an update? Has the situation improved or stayed the same -- or gotten worse? Both for her, but especially for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology