Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:14 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I fell victim to some trolls today on another forum yet again. It just annoys me that I post a legit thread and then certain people start with personal attacks and make assumptions. What makes these keyboard warriors want to do this? Honestly I truly believe the people who start trouble online have a rap sheet in real life. There is definitly something psychologically wrong with these people to want to come on line simply looking to start trouble. And when you strike back at these trolls fellow members that like them attack you too and back them up. It's bs all around.

I read an article about it and a study has said internet trolls have traits of psychopathy,narcissism, and sadism. I totally believe that. The internet brings out sooooooo many weird people because of the anonymity.

I'm sure I'll get some trolls to comment on this too it's a given
It's just a game for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:37 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
We got a winner!!!!

Old 04-12-2014, 09:27 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
After posting on CD for a number of years I'd have to say that the last year has been a banner year for jerks posting on various CD forums, one overtly vitriolic poster has recently posted more than sixty posts in less than nine hours, (900 + posts in less than three months) bashing his way through a multitude of threads like the "mayhem" guy on the Allstate ads. Why the emphatic political attitude seems to be at bottom of most of these types of posters contributions is anyones guess, paid shills perhaps?

Trolling is certainly an internet phenomenon, it is that web anonymity that has created the puffed up chest types, internet tough guys, loud talkers, opinionated bar room brawlers, behind their protective screens. I'm guessing that the majority of them are actually small in physical stature, emotionally insecure men who for the most part couldn't and certainly wouldn't speak in person as they do on the web. I thought the idea was to post your own thoughts and allow others the same opportunity, but I've come to the conclusion that we have so many people here in America that can't/won't begin to see the others views as just another view among many.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:51 AM

182 posts, read 377,210 times
I think a lot of people have the definition of trolling wrong. When you troll, you make an overtly offensive post and then watch people make really angry responses. You rile them up by responding to them with even more offensive crap that makes them angrier. It's mostly done on forums, specifically gaming and Mac/PC/Android/iPhone ones. A typical troll post looks something like this:

"The iPhone 5s is just an iPhone 5 with a newer camera and a smaller bezel for idiots around the world to gawk at."

Now, at least 7-10 angry Apple fans will respond to the thread, mostly with facts and personal attacks against the troll. Most of the time, the troll doesn't even bother to respond to the thread he made, although sometimes the insults will be so steep the troll's feelings (yes, they have them), and then he'll respond, usually making an example out of everyone else that responded to him. Some trolls even set up multiple accounts and write in different styles to make it look like "random" people around the forum are agreeing with him, when in fact, only maybe one-two other people are.

In real life, most trolls spend hours and hours on their computers (like me) each day, making posts, getting people angry on PSN/Xbox Live, and eating hot pockets because they're too lazy to actually cook a meal for themselves (like me).

Anyway, usually trolls tend to be nerdy people who have been beat down by society, so the internet is like their escape where they take all their angry out on random people behind the anonymity of the internet.

Troll posts ARE NOT ones that are funny, they are ALWAYS cruel, mean, or just plain old annoying/offensive.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:19 AM

524 posts, read 521,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Trolls - usually insignificant individuals who are constantly overlooked and dismissed IRL, so they become monsters online where they can hide behind anonymity and strike back at the society that has treated them so badly.
Online trolls are like road rage drivers. They feel angry and helpless because they have no control over their lives. So they disrupt online communities hoping to make others feel as miserable and helpless as they do. Of course, disrupting threads doesn't bring them the immediate relief they seek, so the intensity of their "trolling" increases.

I have empathy for online trolls, just as I do for road rage drivers. We don't know what's causing their emotional pain.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:46 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
Online trolls are like road rage drivers. They feel angry and helpless because they have no control over their lives. So they disrupt online communities hoping to make others feel as miserable and helpless as they do. Of course, disrupting threads doesn't bring them the immediate relief they seek, so the intensity of their "trolling" increases.

I have empathy for online trolls, just as I do for road rage drivers. We don't know what's causing their emotional pain.
Yeah, the person I referenced in my other post is unemployed, younger, (thirties) and obviously alienated from those he sees as people to blame for his plight. Anyone posting all day long int their thirties is bound to be a bit pathetic and possibly angry and feeling helpless. The post here that sought give an explanation of the word "troll" or the term, "trolling" seems to be one that gives us all some insight to the fact of so much alienation..

Old 04-12-2014, 02:44 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
We got a winner!!!!
I don't think all trolls have the same motivation. For many, it is just a game, I agree. But for others, I get the impression that their anger and hostility is genuine, and that their attacks on others are a deadly serious expression of the anger and hostility.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:02 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Trolls are a bit like jerks, so, does that mean that males are more likely than females to be jerks?
I will say that males tend to be more aggressive in their postings on the internet than females are on average. Males are much more likely to be "internet thugs" online.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:24 PM

774 posts, read 906,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I will say that males tend to be more aggressive in their postings on the internet than females are on average. Males are much more likely to be "internet thugs" online.
Nobody knows who you are when you are posting on the internet so how can you say?

Old 04-12-2014, 04:01 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Nobody knows who you are when you are posting on the internet so how can you say?
Usernames can help though they are not always reliable. It's largely personal experience having been on the internet for a long time and coming across many forums you start to notice the differences in how male and female post things. From my understanding, women don't seem to be as interested in trolling like men are. Sorry if it goes against your political correctness but men are much more likely to be aggressive on the internet which translates to them being much more likely to be trolls. Male posters are much more likely to be aggressive towards female posters especially if they know she is a female. Unless they're hardcore feminist, you'll rarely see a group of females posters aggressively attacking male posters online just because he is a male. Just look at the demographics for online child predators. Do you think it's a coincidence that the overwhelming majority of online child predators are male? Yet you and others would be surprise that the majority of trolls are most likely males.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology