Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 08:51 AM

260 posts, read 605,291 times

Advertisements

Most parents are obsessed with measuring their sons. They have them measured as a part of regular doctor visits, even though height is a very neutral health predicter (There's a minor positive correlation between height and intelligence, but then again there's a negative correlation between height and heart disease). Reaching a taller height is considered an achivement. A young boy always gets applauded for showing vertical growth. It's firmly engrained in our minds that tall=good and short=bad.

Why, then, is it any wonder that a Short Man Syndrome exists? We're raised to feel genetically defective. It continues later in life when women get to the birthing age and talk about how they don't want to get knocked up by a short guy because they "Don't want short sons." Basically , shortness, for men, is considered a genetic disorder. Sperm banks don't accept short sperm. Imagine if I vocalized that I don't want to have kids with an ugly woman because "I don't want ugly daughters." That wouldn't go over well!

Old 04-11-2014, 09:06 AM

774 posts, read 906,151 times
Why do people blame their genes or others genes for perceived social "disadvantages" like physical unattractiveness or lack of height?

We are not our genes.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:16 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
as long as i am not considered short below the belt, i don't give a damn what my height is.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:25 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Oh good, another "short man" thread.
Yes, every negative thing that ever happens in your life, and every negative reaction you ever get from anyone is because you are short. All women hate short men, and you'll never get a good job or promotion because of discrimination against short men. Does that cover it all?

Old 04-11-2014, 11:20 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
I don't want to assist you if you're trying to sink into the pit, and I suspect you are trying, but you have a point that there is a disadvantage to being relatively short. I can't empathize, but I do sympathize. All the ways, subtle and not so subtle, that a man's height is used to define him are at least a distraction shorter men need to be aware of and deal with. I'll give you all of that.

But what good does dwelling on any of that do you? Really, what can possibly happen besides you getting more stuck? Don't do that to yourself. Whatever impact your height has on any aspect of your life, you won't change that by asking these sorts of questions.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:22 AM

561 posts, read 1,179,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
Why do people blame their genes or others genes for perceived social "disadvantages" like physical unattractiveness or lack of height?

We are not our genes.
Complete BS. To a great extent our genes make us who we are. Individual height is about 80% determined by genes. Geneticists know this for a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
But what good does dwelling on any of that do you? Really, what can possibly happen besides you getting more stuck? Don't do that to yourself. Whatever impact your height has on any aspect of your life, you won't change that by asking these sorts of questions.
+1

I'm fairly short myself (5'9"). Early in my adult life I accepted that there's nothing I can do about it, so I just live my life without dwelling on it. Why concern yourself with things that can't be changed?

Besides, Jon Stewart is even shorter than I am, and he's one of my favorite living persons.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:21 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
I'm not entirely sure why you're so concerned or bothered over this. I am also a short-ish guy. In elementary school I was always the short kid in the corner of the classroom photo and now at 28 I'm 5'9 and have never had any issues with it other than basketball and the occasional teasing by friends about my height (or lack of), but honestly - if you can't handle teasing life is going to be rough.

In college I was the shortest of my roommates almost every year, but typically dated more than any of them. At one point I had a girlfriend who was 5'11 and she had no problem with this. My height had no affect on my ability to uh.. "practice" passing on my genetics. I'm sure there are women who thought "Eh, he's not 6', not going to happen." but that's okay. There have been many times I've though "Eh, she's (ugly, fat, stupid, etc..), no way."

My wife is 5'10, and I actually told her one of the reasons I wanted to marry her was because she is attractive, so we'd likely have attractive kids. Essentially saying if she was ugly I wouldn't go for it because we'd have ugly kids. Sorry, I digress.

In summary some (very shallow) chicks don't like short dudes. No big deal. If you're confident, most chicks don't care if you're short, pudgy, bald, gray, whatever. It certainly won't hurt your ability to progress in life. The President of my company is like 5'5 and while I agree that growing has way too much emphasis placed on it in our childhood, we're not children anymore. Place emphasis on whatever you want.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:24 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
OP, maybe you should ask your Dad the physician why babies and children (both male and female) are weighed and measured and the correlation graphed at their annual checkups until they reach puberty.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:42 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
How are short women not supposed to feel inferior? All those tall, leggy models in magazines, tall actresses on screen, even the short ones wear 4 inch heels. I've had people *literally* pat me on the head.

Or, you could just accept that life is what you make it and be the best person you can be regardless of height.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:43 PM

750 posts, read 1,434,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post

In summary some (very shallow) chicks don't like short dudes. No big deal. If you're confident, most chicks don't care if you're short, pudgy, bald, gray, whatever. It certainly won't hurt your ability to progress in life.
Yes. This. I don't care if the guy is short, unless HE makes s big deal about it. Sometimes you see a guy who gets into all that overcompensating behavior like driving a gigantic F350 pickup or acting like his you-know-what won't allow him to sit normally. Strutting around with his chest stuck out just makes a short guy look like he's trying too hard. It really doesn't matter to most non-shallow, smart women. At least the ones I know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology