Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 02:49 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
No.
Good looking people still get terminal cancer
Good looking people are victims of crime
Good looking people lose their children to accidents, disease and suicide
Good looking people get cheated on and divorced
Good looking people suffer crippling mental illness
Good looking people lose their jobs and homes in a financial crisis
Good looking people have ungrateful, spoiled children
Good looking people are killed or maimed in warzones.
Good looking people lose their faith in God.

The only people who have it "easier in life" are those who appreciate the blessings they receive in life, take nothing for granted and find happiness in what they have been given and what they can share with others.
But don't less attractive people suffer all of those ills? I agree that dwelling on other people's advantages is a mistake for the one dwelling, and can be annoying to everyone else. But in saying "no", aren't you denying something because you're concerned that people will dwell on it and harm themselves or be annoying?

I think accepting that looking good is often some sort of advantage, and that deviating considerably from what's considered attractive can often be a bit of an obstacle to overcome, is more realistic. Bring it out in the open and deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:05 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Yes - being good looking makes certain things easier. It doesn't solve all your problems and it is no guarantee of happiness - but it certainly has its advantages.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 PM

409 posts, read 484,297 times
Good looking women experience a lot of unwanted attention from men. I think they have to be very careful. There are a lot of negatives to being good looking and I think that it grows tiresome and the pluses are outweighed by the negatives.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
My friend read an article on this topic and asked for my feedback:

Reasons Why Good-looking People Have It Easier in Life

I agree with certain points and disagree with others. It's true that when you've never met someone, you tend to characterize him or her based on physical appearance, as that's all you have to go by. But I firmly disagree with the argument that attractive people are sometimes deemed more intelligent than the ostensibly nerdy kids. That would mean that even attractive cheerleaders and jocks on the football team are thought of as Einsteins, which seems far-fetched.

What do you think?
Studies show that when it comes to FIRST IMPRESSIONS (i.e. before you find out someone's a cheerleader, or whatever), people assume intelligence on the part of good-looking people. They tend to assume lower intelligence on the part of plain-looking people and people who lack facial maturity (i.e. baby-faced people). It means that those whose appearance doesn't make the grade need to work harder to prove themselves and be taken seriously. Thus life is more challenging for them in that way.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:03 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default On a superficial level, yes

Below the surface, no.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,460,587 times
It seems to me that good-looking people have it easier in life. My opinion is biased because I'm extremely unfortunate looking, and I've had a hard life. I don't attribute that to my looks per se, but they certainly don't help matters. Being good looking seems to make getting a date easier. It seems to make getting a job easier. You don't see any handsome or hot homeless. It seems to make it easier to make friends because people naturally want to associate with attractive people. It seems like good-looking people can behave any way they please and be accepted. That might not be entirely true, but that's what I've observed in my world.

On the other hand, good-looking people probably receive more unwanted attention than their uglier counterparts. Attractive women have to constantly keep their guard up against creepy guys. Additionally, attractive guys and women have a lot of options for relationship partners, which could make choosing a partner and fidelity more difficult than for an average to less than average looking dude or woman. For example, there are hot women that I'd give my right arm to be with getting cheated on all the time by good-looking guys because those guys always have other options. If I ever could attract a woman that I like and develop a relationship with her, I'd have to hold on to her for dear life because that opportunity might not come back around again for me.

Therefore, I suppose attractiveness makes life harder in a way because good-looking people have a lot more options than us homely folks when it comes to relationships and possibly career moves as well. With more options comes stress. There are probably issues for good-looking people that I'll never have to deal with. Even so, being good looking is held in high esteem in society. That's just how it is, and I have no problem with it.

Last edited by maniac77; 04-15-2014 at 09:40 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 09:52 PM

36 posts, read 38,519 times
Default good looking peopel

Unfortunately , YES!
They are the people that, in an instant, attract others.
But realistically, no.
People know people, I just think people in general strive to be the best they can, and when they see an attractive person, they want to know what makes them attractive either by aura or beauty secrets.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:56 PM

624 posts, read 762,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
No.
Good looking people still get terminal cancer
Good looking people are victims of crime
Good looking people lose their children to accidents, disease and suicide
Good looking people get cheated on and divorced
Good looking people suffer crippling mental illness
Good looking people lose their jobs and homes in a financial crisis
Good looking people have ungrateful, spoiled children
Good looking people are killed or maimed in warzones.
Good looking people lose their faith in God.

The only people who have it "easier in life" are those who appreciate the blessings they receive in life, take nothing for granted and find happiness in what they have been given and what they can share with others.
So, you're good looking. No need to rub it in.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:29 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Maybe we need to define what the OP means by an "easier" life vs a "harder" life.

I would say the three major things that make life "harder" is

Born into poverty/abuse
Mental, psychological or physical disability.
Lack of education

If you are not affected by those things, your life can be incredibly "easy" by comparison.

Whether you are good looking or not is a tiny piece of what makes life truly hard or easy.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Yes and no.

Good looking women do well if they're dealing with men. Dealing with other women can be tricky.

Good looking men, same.

Good looking people also have to deal with being approached by total strangers, who think they might have a shot, for no other reason than their own ego. That can get annoying as **** if it happens often. It's like your a lamppost and every dog that comes along thinks it can have a sniff.

If you're good looking and egotistical about it, prepare to be hated like no one else on earth.

If you're good looking and modest about it, prepare to be hit on by all sorts of folk including your own sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology