Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,607,703 times

Advertisements

Instead of drinking what? River water? Runoff from the roof? Beer?

I don't trust bottled water any more than water from the faucet, which is what most of it is anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 PM

1 posts, read 742 times
Why would a city treat its water if it wasn't intended for consumption? And most bottled water in North America is from city treated tap water, from the 2 companies that have a monopoly on bottled water: Coke and Pepsi (I.e. The conglomerates that own Coke & Pepsi).

I wonder if the original post was done by someone with an Axe to grind?

Old 04-18-2014, 10:44 PM

15,501 posts, read 16,987,195 times
If you google "Dangers of Bottled water" you will find some interesting stuff.

Quote:
7 Reasons To Never Drink Bottled Water Again

2. Most bottled water is glorified tap water at 10,000 times the cost.

The label on your bottled water may depict a peaceful mountain stream, but that doesn't mean the water inside is pure and pristine.

Only some bottled water comes from springs or groundwater sources. It turns out that approximately 25% of bottled water is sourced from ... the tap. Sure, some companies filter or radiate the tap water with ultraviolet light before selling it to you at several thousand times the cost of municipal tap water. (Examples include Aquafina, Dasani, and many other brands.)

Moreover, studies show that bottled water samples can contain phthalates, mold, microbes, benzene, trihalomethanes, even arsenic. And only recently did the FDA start regulating bottled water for E. Coli, thanks to advocacy by the Natural Resources Defense Council.
SOURCE

Old 04-18-2014, 10:52 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,220,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Instead of drinking what? River water? Runoff from the roof? Beer?

I don't trust bottled water any more than water from the faucet, which is what most of it is anyway.
Many cities do get there water from rivers and lakes.

The same rivers the treated sewage goes in.....unless there has been a heavy rainfall.....then the untreated sewage goes in the rivers.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:16 AM

368 posts, read 575,846 times
It isn't killing people in bulk so we see no harm in drinking it.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,263 times
Where I live, Davenport Ia, the city gets it's water from the Mississippi River. Days ago, about 10 miles upstream, Leclaire, IA, home to those American Picker garbage picker guys, accidentally released 17,000 gallons of untreated raw sewage into the Mississippi river. I'll drink my bottled water, and fill up every single landfill on earth before I subject my kids to raw sewage water. And on top of that, the local news said if you smell chlorine in your tap water it's ok, it's just because blah blah blah blah. No, I won't drink water with the tap, EVER. Nor will I drink or give my kids stuff laced with fluoride, from the tap, look at the Harvard study and others. Tap water s no good, and I select my bottled water carefully. I haven't drank out of tap since 2005. And I also made my children's bottles with fluoride free bottled water. Why do you care so much who drinks bottled water? If you want to drink out of a nasty azz faucet then do it, good for you. I'll drink out of my bottles, they all up in the 5 gyres anyway.

Tap/fluoride free since 2007

Old 04-19-2014, 09:20 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,637,395 times
Public tap water coming out of your faucet is tested, and required to meet state and federal safety regulations and standards. Bottled water is not, water bottlers can put anything they want in those bottles and it is not subject to any health or safety regulations or inspections, or even labeling standards.

When you turn on your faucet, you know what you are getting, When you open a bottle, you do not.

By the way, the purest water you can get is rain water, that has never touched the ground nor been collected in a container. It tastes awful, because that nice refreshing flavor that we associate with water comes from its impurities.

By the way, I've drunk tapwater in about 120 countries, and only been sick a couple of times, possibly but not necessarily from the water. The only places I do not drink tapwater are in small low-lying third-world towns subject to frequent flooding or high water, where public water can be subjected to waste backup. It is safe to drink water straight out of the Amazon River

Last edited by jtur88; 04-19-2014 at 10:16 AM..

Old 04-19-2014, 09:46 AM

44,993 posts, read 59,979,707 times
What I've learned from this thread is that too many people don't know the square root of **** concerning the mechanics of today's water treatment protocols, regulations and requirements or what's considered safe drinking water. Or why we have an infinitesimal number of water borne diseases in this country.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:50 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,220,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Public tap water coming out of your faucet is tested, and required to meet state and federal safety regulations and standards. Bottled water is not, water bottlers can put anything they want in those bottles and it is not subject to any health or safety regulations or inspections, or even labeling standards.

When you turn on your faucet, you know what you are getting, When you open a bottle, you do not.

By the way, the purest water you can get is rain water, that has never touched the ground nor been collected in a container. It tastes awful, because that nice refreshing flavor that we associate with water comes from its impurities.
I have to disagree.

We get our cleanest water tests when the water comes from water bearing sand.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:01 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,228,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

In all due respect, considering the pollutants floating around in our air, can rain water actually be pure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology