Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 02:45 PM

6,602 posts, read 4,811,898 times

Advertisements

Er, I like many of Cher's songs, but I wouldn't call myself a big fan.

Anyway, to the question, yes, but I think men have regained some freedom in the past 5 years, thanks to the general peacock tread in men's style. Looking boyishly handsome and casually well-dressed 10 years ago probably hurt me more than I want to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 02:50 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,582,853 times
If anything, I think it's the complete opposite: The pre-digital age "macho man" ideal seems to be dying out, and guys seem like they care less and less about seeming "soft".

Old 04-23-2014, 04:16 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,265,092 times
Quite the opposite,I think. I have a bunch of straight male friends and a gay male friend in one of the groups that I hang out with. No topic is out of bounds, and we all know where each other stands on the Kinsey spectrum. Heck, we all went out to a gay bar together (out of solidarity with the gay member of the group) and nobody worried if other people would think they were "gay" when they weren't.

And my straight male co-workers feel perfectly comfortable discussing the attractiveness of other men. There's a guy in our industry whom we all (straight men and women) refer to as "Dreamy." Objectively speaking, he's just tremendously attractive. He's also one of the kindest people you'd ever want to meet, so there have been debates about whether it's his looks or personality that makes him more attractive. Nobody's going around shrieking "OMG, you're gay" to the straight men who acknowledge the fact that this guy is exceptional.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:21 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,265,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
If anything, I think it's the complete opposite: The pre-digital age "macho man" ideal seems to be dying out, and guys seem like they care less and less about seeming "soft".
I've also actually found that the more "genuinely" macho a guy is, the more comfortable he is with discussing such things. (You know, as opposed to guys who posture about their masculinity rather than BEING masculine.) Secure straight men do not really care about how their sexuality is perceived or about the sexuality of others. I've dated an ex-biker, a former military sniper, a construction worker, etc. They were all very gay friendly. As one dude put it "If gay guys want the hairy ass, that just means more women for me to choose from."

I did not have the heart to tell him that a large swathe of gay men wax their hairy asses.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,827,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I'd almost be willing to bet that those men who asked you the "gay question" were essentially straight. Gay men, and many women, have excellent 'gaydar' -- they always seem to intuitively know when a male is gay.
Straight and gay men are actually better at detecting gays. Straight men have always called 'good-looking' men gay and turned out to be right. I mean, many straight women, thanks to their wishful thinking, abstain from calling an attractive man gay and would attack you for doing so. They can only tell when an effeminate guy is gay, but God forbid if you call a hot guy gay in front of them. Back then, men have always thought that Wentworth Miller or Ricky Martin were gay (who were so obvious), but fangirls attacked them with "jealous trolls" and whatnot.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:49 PM

12 posts, read 14,706 times
Honestly??? To me I would say the gay males just don't care who they hit up on, Just like the straight men trying to get some action from any type of female. I have seen it all with folks, they just don't have respect for themselves or others. I don't think it has anything to do with your masculinity. Folks these days in time are just desperate, not considering anything but what they want. That is just the way I have seen it.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:25 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,213,243 times
Men are different... Some are not picky at all whereas others are quite picky. Like eating, some will eat anything whereas others will only eat certain things.

And sex drive / drug* use may have something to do with that. Some men have a stronger sex drive and *must* frequently have sex. Other men can take it or leave it.

*Using marijuana for example will diminish a man's sex drive. I know a heavy smoker of marijuana who frequently tells his wife no to sex! And other men who smoke marijuana and do not seem to be very interested in sex with anyone - rarely mention it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology