Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:41 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
An astute observation.
The Protestant work ethic is an interesting observation. Is this referring to the "idle hands are the devil's workshop" saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 02:24 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I am fine entertaining myself at home. I love to read, there are tons of good shows and movies I can get into, I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes, house projects, or just doing absolutely nothing drinking some wine on the deck with my dogs. I am often reluctant to make plans especially on week nights. I have a 40 minute commute to work each way, so by the time I get home in the evening the thought of going out and being social or being away from the house for a few hours makes me tired! I really need at least a couple hours every night to unwind and prepare for the next day. I like seeing friends or doing activities on the weekend but not nonstop. If I plan a busy Saturday, then I'll try to leave a lot of free time for myself Sunday or vice versa.

I know a lot of people who always have plans, often even going out of town over the weekend, but to me that sounds miserable. I don't like to be on the go so much, but to each his or her own!

Old 06-12-2014, 02:25 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Rarely.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
I am fairly simple, people watching is fun so is reading posts on CD. I like to go out and do things, spend time with family, hit the gym. Most of the people that I know of that are always entertained are also always broke bitching at me for a loan LOL.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I am fairly simple, people watching is fun so is reading posts on CD. I like to go out and do things, spend time with family, hit the gym. Most of the people that I know of that are always entertained are also always broke bitching at me for a loan LOL.
Yes, they do seem to be broke a lot.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:39 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Yes, they do seem to be broke a lot.
Your thread struck a chord because an American I know lived in former Eastern Bloc for several years. He said what a relief you can just date and dinner and a walk are ok. No need to rush from restaurant to movies to after hour clubs.

He also said that while they are extremely tech savvy people still talk and interact not everyone's face is glued to their device.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Your thread struck a chord because an American I know lived in former Eastern Bloc for several years. He said what a relief you can just date and dinner and a walk are ok. No need to rush from restaurant to movies to after hour clubs.

He also said that while they are extremely tech savvy people still talk and interact not everyone's face is glued to their device.
This is how you have to entertain someone in the former Eastern Bloc? Sounds exhausting.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:08 AM

833 posts, read 657,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
In general, on weeknights we have the kids' activities (max of 2 activities per kid), and whoever is not at an activity goes on a family walk/bike ride around the neighborhood after dinner.

Once a week, hubby plays pick-up soccer with the boys. Once a month, I play Bunco with the girls. I have a few friends I may meet up with once a month or so on a weekday - we go get ice cream, or out to lunch, or go to a book signing or even to the ballet.

We generally have one or two things planned on the weekend. That plan might be my kid's soccer game. A birthday party for a good friend's child. One of our board game parties (held every 6-8 weeks). A morning at the zoo or the natural history museum (we're members of both), or, when I'm feeling particularly nuts, a trip to the water park. Hubby and I have season tickets to the local theater, so we see plays 8 or 9 times a year. Occasionally we go to the symphony, or the free concerts the city hosts on Friday nights in April - June.

Every other Saturday, we have a planned trip to the library. The kids have an hour to find new books, explore the games available, etc. On alternate Saturdays, we're doing a park tour. We pick a park we've never been to before, and we all go explore and play for a few hours.

We try to schedule downtime on the weekend too, at least 2 out of the 4 weekends of the month. Time for the kids to play and the grownups to relax. On the weekends we have absolutely nothing (or very little) planned, my 8-year-old goes CRAZY. Since she was born, she has wanted constant stimulation. Now she has a chore chart - if she's bored, she can pick a chore
Wow that is one busy life! I got tired thinking about it. But I live similar life so know the feeling

Old 07-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoast_CA View Post
Wow that is one busy life! I got tired thinking about it. But I live similar life so know the feeling
Makes me tired as well!

Old 09-29-2014, 06:14 AM

I got asked the question on Sunday "What did you do all weekend?" My response was asking if the person who asked me has every hour of every day planned out. They had no response and changed the subject right away. I'm always amazed at asking questions like "What did you do all weekend?", "What did you do all day?", or "What did you do all summer?" I always wonder if the person wants a play by play of everything you did. Yes, I know it's making conversation, it just seems like an odd way to do it if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology