Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:05 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

I could see someone hanging on, in this situation, if they were delivered false promises, along the way.

"You will be released in 3 months!"

3 months come, then? "We made an error, we meant 6 months!"

6 months come: "You're going to get a new trial in 4 months, just hang on!"

But, even for me, the temptation to leave this poor-excuse-for-a-planet might be too great to resist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:08 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
I could not do it. I cannot stand being confined and being enclosed in places like with no windows or view! My worst experience was being in the recovery room overnight in a hospital in the basement, and that was torture!!! being hooked up to machines with tubes and wires and not being able to move and the bed was not long enough so i kept sliding forward, and i couldn't move. I think that being confined like that is akin to being buried alive and that might be what makes situations like that so claustrophobic. and also losing sense of time of day, time of year, and other things such like that. and being bored !!! time goes very very slowly in a situation like that.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:59 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
NPR did a series on solitary confinement.

At Pelican Bay Prison, a Life in Solitary : NPR

Sounds like hell to me. I'm sure it would eventually break just a out everyone. Imagine being wrongly imprisoned a made to endure such treatment, for something you did not do. Horrible.

Another story of the effects of solitary, though in this case it was voluntary:
Voluntary Confinement | Mother Jones

A fifty minute documentary.
ALONE: The Brain, Sensory Deprivation and Isolation - Watch Free Documentary Online

To take it further, imagine being trapped in your own body, isolated from the world. Hellish! A book was written on this premise:
Johnny Got His Gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Finally, check out locked-in syndrome, the ultimate confinement.
Locked-in syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-23-2014, 07:06 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
No whats even scarier, and this has to do with confinement -

being buried alive - long time ago before they started emballming dead people, some people were like in a coma, they thought they were dead, buried them, and then the person woke up and tried to scratch their way out.

The other scary thing about being confined - is (this is a true medical fact!) where you are in surgery and they give you the anesthesia, one of which is paralyzing you, and you wake up, but you cant move, scream, nothing, but YOU FEEL EVERY SLICE OF THE KNIFE and EVERY THING THEY DO TO YOU AND YOU CANT LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE FEELING IT! One lady managed to get a tear out of her eye and an observant nurse realized the patient was feeling EVERYTHING.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:02 PM

723 posts, read 868,659 times
I think I could handle it. I'm on my own the majority of the time anyway.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:26 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
physically, as long as the nutrition was adequate, and protection from temp/weather extremes I think I could survive.

However, after a year or two I'm sure I would be stark raving nuts, living in a hallucinatory dream world. You know, like screaming incoherently at "Wilson" my volleyball Tiki God.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:19 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
The blaring loud speaker would be the worst part, besides the boredom of having nothing to do.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:47 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Solitary confinement in general, like in an American prison? I could survive it for my entire life. I know that for many people, non-introverts, the idea of being alone is terrifying and they consider solitary confinement extreme or even "cruel & unusual" punishment. But if I were in prison for whatever reason, and I had a choice between being in the general population, with horrible dishonest violent people, or being alone, in my own cell, with my own alone-time outdoors, I definitely choose solitary.

Again, I'm talking about a US prison where I'd have 3 meals a day, a bed, plumbing, clean drinking water, and books to read. Plus I'd have wonderful healthcare at taxpayer expense.

But what you describe in the original post is much more than just "solitary confinement." I could handle the cold over the extreme heat. The heat would be like torture to me, especially without a lot of clean water to drink. The meager food offerings would be very trying, but I think I could adapt, with difficulty. The being alone would be fine with me; that's not the part of what you describe that seems hard to me. I would have to have something to read, and not having books would be a form of torture to me. Just having Mao's book and propaganda would be very small comfort. I guess I would read it over and over and formulate and strengthen my responses to everything I disagree with, memorizing my points and positions so that if I ever got out I could write them down. I would pray a lot. I would live in my fantasies a lot. I would survive, if I could survive the physical dangers.

The title of the thread and the original post are not really speaking about the same thing.

How long could I survive in solitary confinement? With the basic requirements of life and access to a big prison library: I could survive indefinitely.

How long could I survive in a Red Chinese prison, with no heat or A/C, a lack of food and water, no health care, and nothing to read? I wouldn't survive long, as I'd probably die of disease or dehydration.

But being alone would not make me want to kill myself.
Heh, I'm with you on that. I would definitely not survive the physical hardships, but just the isolation? Easy.
In fact, what really scares me about prison is being around all those other inmates and the violence of it. Being afraid of getting beaten daily is much much worse than being confined on your own.
The idea of sitting in a quiet room with a book to read day in and day out doesn't sound terrible at all.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:11 PM

80 posts, read 108,784 times
I could do the solitary bit easily but absolutely not the confinement.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:37 PM

20,763 posts, read 19,968,204 times
I could spend the rest of my life just sleeping and eating. So I think I would survive as well. I don't need humans.

My mom on the other hand, she wouldn't make it for a week without her friends and chitchatting. She can't even be quiet when my dad wants to read the newspaper or watching a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology