Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:48 PM

331 posts, read 381,706 times

Advertisements

Came across an intriguing article that argues in favor of avoiding people altogether: Mental Health News: Reasons Why It’s Best to Avoid Other People

The article claims that avoiding people is ultimately good for our health. I guess this all depends on who we're talking about. Not ALL people are annoying and troublesome; we all have friends and relatives who are there for us when we need them and play a positive role in our lives. It seems the author is jaded about unfavorable experiences/relationships with different people and is now generalizing that everyone in the human population should be avoided like the plague.

If only things were really that cut-and-dried...

There are certain people (especially at work) whom you should avoid, but human beings can't go very long without human contact -- that's simply how we're wired.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:15 AM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
Came across an intriguing article that argues in favor of avoiding people altogether: Mental Health News: Reasons Why It’s Best to Avoid Other People

The article claims that avoiding people is ultimately good for our health. I guess this all depends on who we're talking about. Not ALL people are annoying and troublesome; we all have friends and relatives who are there for us when we need them and play a positive role in our lives. It seems the author is jaded about unfavorable experiences/relationships with different people and is now generalizing that everyone in the human population should be avoided like the plague.

If only things were really that cut-and-dried...

There are certain people (especially at work) whom you should avoid, but human beings can't go very long without human contact -- that's simply how we're wired.

What are your thoughts?
I don't think we should avoid other people. Certain people, yes. But not all.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:51 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
i agree

being alone is stimulating. one of the best times ive had was going for a long hike by myself and getting lost in my thoughts/geographically at the same time while throwing back some brews. it seems as the population density of my location decreases, my happiness increases.

being around too many people makes me nervous. also, the vast majority of people are annoying and troublesome in my experience.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:08 AM

3 posts, read 4,692 times
I read a book years ago written by M. Scott Peck, M.D. (psychiatrist), "People of the Lie", in which he describes seeing patients that he KNOWS are so mean/evil/toxic that he feels an immediate urge to "get as far away from them as fast as possible", which he goes on to explain is a HUGE indicator of good mental health...you absolutely SHOULD want to avoid/get away from those who give you this vibe, should you be fortunate enough to be open to it...(another great book, "The Gift of Fear")...as ANY association is ALWAYS destructive to you!

Old 05-23-2014, 11:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,801 times
Just based on my own life I tend to avoid most people and am quite content with my own company. Most external stimulation is happily met with books, meaningful conversation with certain people and peace by dealing with animals and gardens. So far, I've found people to be very draining on my peace, contentment and pursuit of happiness(not to mention my bank accounts).

And who says you have to like people or socialize with them? Political correctness can drain your soul. Either you genuinely want to be around certain people or you don't. Period. And yes it is that simple. I probably haven't wanted to engage with 98% of the people I've met and thus I don't. Not rocket science, but if someone doesn't fare well??? Dismiss them. Simple.

Last edited by swanstone1; 05-23-2014 at 11:35 AM..

Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
It won't work for everyone. Some people need to be around people a lot, others don't. The best thing for our health is to discover which we are and go with it. Unfortunately there are people that should be alone working in retail or waiting tables at a restaurant. It's hard, because we can't all be a drawbridge operator or night security guard, so they have to balance it with more alone time reading, going on hikes, or just staying home and watching TV.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:09 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
I think its best to Want to be with people rather than Need to be with people.

sometimes being alone is great, other times, its more fun having someone.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times
I don't really like people all that much. Most of them are arrogant, weak, annoying, ignorant, close-minded, naive, and troublesome. There are some good ones though.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,065 times
I probably don't like most people, but avoiding all people seems contrary to human nature to me. I start going crazy if I am alone for too long (more than a few days). I think people are wired to need others, but we all have different amounts of that need. I am an extrovert, but my husband is an introvert. We both have friends and want to see them, I just tend to see them a little more often or for more extended periods of time.

Of course after a particularly annoying experience I will say that "people suck" and may not want to be around anyone for awhile, but that doesn't last forever.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:58 PM

45 posts, read 79,794 times
Some cases depend on where one is living, in my opinion. An extrovert, has lived in multiple towns-regions, LOVE to be around people generally, but returning to a place where being introvert is necessary, it's best to avoid people as much as humanly possible, again. Depends on your makeup and personality, and the makeup of the area, may see one's self in a square peg in a circle kind of thing. One town could be the polar opposite of the one RIGHT next to it, i never realized this until moving and experiencing other regions. the old cliche "just need change in scenery" i have found to be the truth although this certainly may not apply to every individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology