Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 03:27 PM

483 posts, read 691,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
Exactly this.

I personally think that men and women can be attracted to a variety of types, types that might turn others off.

It was said earlier that if a man isn't attracted to a woman, he won't be able to perform, and of course that's true. But many men may have a less attractive woman as "friends with benefits," or they'll occasionally pick up a more homely woman for a one night stand, but they are ashamed to be seen with her in a relationship. She looks 'good enough' to have sex with, apparently, but she's not suitable arm candy to show off to his friends. This doesn't put such men in a good light and I don't think many women feel sorry for these men's sad plight when they complain that there are not enough women out there who are "good enough" for them.
I also forgot to mention earlier, I've also seen people question this theory that a man simply cannot, cannot perform unless he is blazingly attracted to the woman (what happened to "men will [expletive deleted] mud?"), and to add along the way, that it's not women who made up the likes of "butterface" and "double/triple bagger", to discuss 'hot bodied women whom I'd do, but whose faces I find bring the fug in a major way' Nope, that's all on some man/men.

And I'd also be interested in knowing, now that it's also been acceptable to admit that women think about sex as often as men do, what would be the female-to-male equivalent term. It can't possibly be seen as a given that women never get horny enough to jump on some man they think is so homely they don't want to give the time of day to otherwise, but we don't have any cutesy pejoratives to describe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 06:00 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
Your point is seriously that many women will happily marry a homely man, but a man would be grossed out by a homely wife? Why? Is she supposed to grow to love him like Ol' Faithful, because she's so glad to be rescued off the shelf by anything with male reproductive parts? Because that strikes me as the general point that elvira310 is trying to make in the first place.

Women have more choices because they can support themselves. If they don't find unattached doughy, homely, whatever, men attractive, they don't find them attractive. There's also no study or statistic I know of that says it's the sleek throngs of women taking care of themselves, who are the majority OR minority of women who are running around single in order to be chosen in the first place.

And it's no surprise to women that men don't consider that if they force some relationship with a woman who's not attracted to them and finally wear her down into marriage, their wife might have to hold her nose and think of Brad Pitt or James Purefoy to get it done in bed. None at all. A man's ego wouldn't allow for it. I snagged her, ergo, she thinks I'm attractive, and thus she's satisfied with this marriage and our sex life. Women have been told that old saw for centuries by Mama and Papa, until they joined the workforce. "We have arranged this marriage. You will grow to love him. We don't care if he's sixty with rotting teeth [outsized example], that is the way things are and will be for you." This is not radical and new.

As for me, I've dated some scrawny intellectuals in my time and found them sexually viable, I don't long for mesomorphs, but I'm not marrying some dude with womanly hips or an apple belly because I'm "tired of being alone". I'm just not. If a man doesn't think that he's got some flaw or collection of flaws (depending upon man) that would gross me out, simply because women don't get grossed out about anything about men's faces or bodies, that man has been sold a bill of goods. Women are capable of being turned off at the exact same rate as men.
He probably doesn't think women have affairs. They don't need to hold their nose, some will just cut off sex while getting it on the side from a hot guy.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:26 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
He probably doesn't think women have affairs. They don't need to hold their nose, some will just cut off sex while getting it on the side from a hot guy.
I'll take the guy who knows female anatomy over the hot guy. You can always turn off the lights.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:56 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'll take the guy who knows female anatomy over the hot guy. You can always turn off the lights.
I would take the hot guy over any man with goodheathen's attitude and judgements toward women. The hot guy can learn anatomy and turn off the lights.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:56 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times
Moderator cut: off topic

I'm speaking truth, with which many men here agree. It's fairly clear that personal attacks are meant to divert from the truth and what should be done about it (yeah, let's all pretend we're blameless and things are great). And, for the record, I'm not the utter failure with women that Elliot Rodger was.

By the way, another reason that today's men are so upset with women is that the Internet has allowed guys to know things like the quiet epidemic of female cheating, that in the past many men would have been unaware of and which also weren't as common back then.

Last edited by Marka; 06-11-2014 at 03:14 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 11:14 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

I'm speaking truth, with which many men here agree. It's fairly clear that personal attacks are meant to divert from the truth and what should be done about it (yeah, let's all pretend we're blameless and things are great). And, for the record, I'm not the utter failure with women that Elliot Rodger was.

By the way, another reason that today's men are so upset with women is that the Internet has allowed guys to know things like the quiet epidemic of female cheating, that in the past many men would have been unaware of and which also weren't as common back then.
Oh good grief. Cheating is not an epidemic, nor is it gender-specific. The problem is some people spend too much time on the internet, can't discern fact from opinion, believe everything written on the internet is Truth, don't question sources, and quite frankly, worry far too much about what other people are doing in their personal lives.

Last edited by Marka; 06-11-2014 at 03:15 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 11:32 AM

People can quibble on what "epidemic" means, but this is "opinion"?
Women Cheating About As Often As Men, Says Study - ABC News

The entertainment media has long depicted cheating as mostly done by men. Young males from respectable backgrounds who don't have much interaction with females might grow up thinking that's true. Then, largely from the Internet, find out that it isn't, contributing to their general anger and perhaps pushing them to overgeneralize that all women are bad.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:38 AM

774 posts, read 906,151 times
At 1,097 replies this is the hottest thread in the history of the Psychology forum.

Why? What does that say about the members of this forum? About people or society in general?

Old 06-08-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simtropico View Post
At 1,097 replies this is the hottest thread in the history of the Psychology forum.

Why? What does that say about the members of this forum? About people or society in general?
Unhappiness and misunderstanding are widespread, here and in society at large.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:54 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

I'm speaking truth, with which many men here agree.
What "truth"?

That women "owe" it to men to be pretty, and when women fail to be as pretty or as thin as they ought to be, men are angry (and have a right to be)? After all, it's her job.

That men are entitled to a pretty girlfriend or wife? Even if they aren't that great-looking, they expect a pretty wife/gf, because the media has taught them that, and they're angry if they're not getting it?

That if a woman doesn't cough up the required prettiness or thinness to mankind, she's taking something away from them and letting them down?

These are all attitudes that you have expressed (you've backpedaled on some of them, but they are there for all to see). I don't think many men agree with that, nope.

Last edited by Marka; 06-11-2014 at 03:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology