Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 12:13 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
It can be done, but some never do. And many are able to fight it for a while, but then fall back into the fear and spiral back into isolation and depression.
Yes, that's true. But then the choice one has is to start over, and try again. I'm not saying it's easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 12:14 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The STD that is prevalent among this age group (and all age groups, really) is HPV. It is estimated that it affects up to 90% of sexually active people. You cannot protect against it, with the exception of the gardisil injection.

Have you had yours?
No, so I probably have HPV. Great Luckily I am not one of these people who goes around spreading my genes so evolution will continue. Isn't HPV the same as genital warts, sound like a blast. I think I would rather be a virgin then have genital warts. Yeah I would be good with that.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:15 AM

589 posts, read 638,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
No, so I probably have HPV. Great Luckily I am not one of these people who goes around spreading my genes so evolution will continue. Isn't HPV the same as genital warts, sound like a blast. I think I would rather be a virgin then have genital warts. Yeah I would be good with that.

Genital warts is one of the HPV strains. But warts is low risk HPV. And most strains are harmless anyway. But there are a few that can cause a lot of damage.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:16 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
Funny how every time I say something, you reply with a question. I'm not required to provide proof. You can either accept what I say or not. Unless you can provide some type of empirical proof that I'm wrong, I'm not.
If what you say is true, then you might as well just accept it. Cause you sure as hell can't change it, if it is true.

What you can change is how attractive you personally are to women.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:16 AM

331 posts, read 547,700 times
Quote:
That would be like an average looking guy with an average job and thinning hair, and him expecting a hot blonde. Not going to happen. Leagues exist whether we admit it or not and we all know on a subconscious level where we stand.
Yea, but the problem is that people in the Minor League aren't magically attracted to people in the Minor League. Ugly people, average people and pretty people, are all attracted to pretty people. Hence, not everyone can be paired up with someone they're attracted to. Their are only so many attractive people to go around. It's one big competition.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 AM

589 posts, read 638,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
Yea, but the problem is that people in the Minor League aren't magically attracted to people in the Minor League. Ugly people, average people and pretty people, are all attracted to pretty people. Hence, not everyone can be paired up with someone they're attracted to. Their are only so many attractive people to go around. It's one big competition.

Most people are settling to some extent. Someone who's a 5 most likely knows they're certainly not getting an 8. Again, this gets back to leagues. Leagues exist and if you know where you rank, you'll be more successful. If I'm average looking at best, I'm not gunning for the model. It's not going to happen.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:21 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I don't believe having a girlfriend would've helped this guy. He hated women.
I didn't bother to read all the pages, but based on the OP and the article I think there are a couple of important things.

One, this guy was responsible for what he did and for what he didn't do in his life. The world is not owed to anyone. Secondly, the mentality behind this guy's rationale, along with this whole "alpha male/PUA/manospherian" teaching is full of entitlement. No one is entitled to a hot bf or gf or spouse. If you want to attract a hot person, look at yourself first before going on a rampage. Your mom buying you a BMW, doesn't count either.

I'm not entirely sure on the information, but it appears his parents knew he was not mentally sound. I think they could have done something.

No sex should be obligated to date people they don't want to for the "protection" of society. People like this guy need mental help and there is nothing wrong with stating others should stay away from them, for protection.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:21 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post

Right, so that's why most people ultimately end up in a relationship with someone who is roughly approximate to them in attractiveness. It is obviously perfectly possible for millions of average-looking people to be attracted to other average-looking people.

Unless you're someone like Donald Sterling or Donald Trump who buys his way to have a woman who far exceed his own attractiveness level, and even then, what do they end up with? A gold-digger, so an empty triumph.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:22 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How about some actual data? More female virgins than male in the 15-24 age group, and virginity on the rise for both.

Sex Stats: Virgins On the Rise | LiveScience

This is what I mean about damaging messages men in the echo chamber share with each other--based on lies.
"Virgins on the rise" - valuable info, but used misleadingly here. It's fairly clear that most young male virgins are involuntarily so (incel). It's also quite plausible that the percentage thereof is increasing because young women are becoming more superficial. That leads back to the only attention my previous good post received. Which is that, yes, some women are invisible, but among young women fewer than their male counterparts and almost all of them could be visible if they tried to meet men (even just online) and put a little effort into their looks. Elliot Rodgers was a member of a site where they often compared what men and women need to do to be desirable, and for women it was not be fat (and, really, the minimum is non-obesity with a decent face) and for men it was much more. Even among the lonely young people, I think males are much more frustrated than the women.

By the way, another problem in this is the media, painting the social scene as much friendlier to men than it actually is. If "beautiful" boy hadn't expected to score (see the envy-fueled comments he made), maybe he would not have snapped.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:22 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,937,019 times
Quote:
Most people are settling to some extent. Someone who's a 5 most likely knows they're certainly not getting an 8. Again, this gets back to leagues. Leagues exist and if you know where you rank, you'll be more successful. If I'm average looking at best, I'm not gunning for the model. It's not going to happen.
You don't know that. You ever heard the phrase "he/she sure married up/down" ?

Some men/women don't have the same taste as what's "average".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology