Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2014, 11:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I watched the entire video. Watching it was very eye-opening. I really questioned whether I was just glorifying his actions by watching but I really wanted to gain a perspective into his mind.

I can relate to the fact that he felt loneliness at times. Who among us hasn't been envious of someone else's life at a time or two? Being rejected for love is a feeling that stings hard. Tonight, I wonder how many of us can say we have felt like he had at a time in our lives. A even more important question to ponder is why those of us who have felt like he had have not crossed that point of no return to the point of taking our frustrations out on the world and ripping lives apart?
I don't want to say that my experiences are anything like that nutjob. He was truly mentally ill. But I can understand how a college-age virgin with a raging sex drive could feel lonely, frustrated, angry, envious and even physically aggressive, because I've been there. I think the difference in my case was that I had a grip on reality; I was not rich or entitled and didn't consider any human being to be below me. I also thought about what would happen if I hurt an innocent man or woman for whatever reason, and I came to the logical conclusion that I would not be able to live with myself. So I did the smart thing and got into activities that allowed me to beat the daylights out of other men legally (martial arts, fighting, football), but also had friends and more highbrow loves and pursuits, such as music, that kept me somewhat sane. It didn't kill the desire or make the lonely nights any more bearable, but at least I still felt like a viable, normal human being most of the time. The situation did lead to more despair and desperation and into a miserable marriage with the wrong person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 11:58 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,302,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage_girl View Post
Doesn't it bother anyone looks and sex aside, this guy was clearly entitled? People who have a grandiose sense of entitlement are prone to mental disorders. When they don't get their way, they make the lives of others miserable. Isn't that the real problem here?
He also stabbed 3 men before he embarked on his murderous crusade. I agree he had an entitlement complex.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:00 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
I think part of the problem here is that all the lonely people not in relationships think they are the only ones in that situation, and that makes them feel even worse.

But in reality there are millions of young people or people of any age in that situation at any given time.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Elliott Rodger's Manifesto: Scribd

After reading Elliott Rodger's manifesto about being a hopeless virgin who could only have his "blonde & beautiful" girlfriend if he had accumulated millions of dollars of wealth by winning the lottery, it made me think. Is there a certain type of man which can not mix well or have a relationship with a women?

I have a question to all of the males of this board:

Have any of you ever felt like Elliott Rodger, in the terms of hopelessness of finding a girlfriend?

Also two general questions to all members of the board:

What mistakes did Elliott Rodger make in trying to find a girlfriend (other than shooting up a school)?
Why do you think he was unable to make a female relation, or a girlfriend?

-- FROM FORMER THREAD CLOSED by MODERATION TEAM --
Yes, I have felt hopeless like Rodger, but there the similarities end. Judging from what I've seen and read of him, if he were more sane I think he would have had no problem meeting women and forming relationships. As he was, though, nothing short of involuntary commitment and massive amounts of drugs could have helped that dude. He was way too far gone to be saved.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That's just not true, or else women's magazines and forum and chats wouldn't be full of lonely women who bewail the fact that they are decent-looking and nice, and no man will look at them, that men are just looking for the 8s and 7's and won't look at a 5 or a 4. While most people ARE fives and fours --- it's the law of averages.

That's just a myth.
You may be right, but I have seen on this very forum women who claim this same thing, but when you really delve deep down, they're just picky and angry that the men who like them don't fit their rather lofty standards.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:04 PM

589 posts, read 638,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You may be right, but I have seen on this very forum women who claim this same thing, but when you really delve deep down, they're just picky and angry that the men who like them don't fit their rather lofty standards.

This. I get no male attention = I get no male attention from the guys I'm attracted to

Old 05-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
Sorry to break this to you, but 1)Magazines are created to make money and 2)Forums like this one are not representative of the general population. Unless a woman is hideous looking, there's going to be at least a few guys interested. The guys you're not interested in still count as options. Any average looking woman can go to a bar and get laid if she wanted. Whenever I hear a woman say guys won't look at her, it means the guys SHE IS INTERESTED IN won't look at her. There's a difference.
I've seen this with my own eyes.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:09 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,646,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
This. I get no male attention = I get no male attention from the guys I'm attracted to
So, if this were the case, how is that any different than guys who claim they can't get a girl, but they're not hitting on the plain or less attractive girls, but only setting their sights on the hot girls? It goes both ways.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:09 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
How about some actual data? More female virgins than male in the 15-24 age group, and virginity on the rise for both.

Sex Stats: Virgins On the Rise | LiveScience

This is what I mean about damaging messages men in the echo chamber share with each other--based on lies.
You need to widen your google search a bit. If you check with the Kinsey Institute that has been tracking sexual habits for decades, you will find that there are more male virgins than female throughout the teen years, and only at age 20-21 do men have their first sexual experience more often than women.

The Kinsey Institute - Sexuality Information Links - FAQ [Related Resources]

Old 05-25-2014, 12:11 PM

589 posts, read 638,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
So, if this were the case, how is that any different than guys who claim they can't get a girl, but they're not hitting on the plain or less attractive girls, but only setting their sights on the hot girls? It goes both ways.

Neither set of girls are approaching him anyway. Granted you're partially correct, but an average woman is getting approached. The guy(unless he's very good looking or has some other form of status) is not. So it's not quite the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology