Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 05:16 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Ridiculous. My children are half Chinese, they have never had any issues with this. The entire Chinese part of the family adores them. My oldest daughter lives in South Korea, they love her there as well. I know a lot of Eurasians, your statements are completely false.
How can you state that as a fact when this person clearly has had a different experience than you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 05:21 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
You're saying that "nice guys" are like this guy? That is an insult. This was a psychopath. I'm a nice guy who finishes last, and I will NOT be compared to this murderer.
You will be compared to whoever the poster wants to compare you to. NBD.

Old 05-28-2014, 05:39 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
While I think women should be able to date whoever they want to date if they choose to do so, I do think this huge emphasis on sex in our society and country (particularly the idea that if men don't regularly have sex then they are total losers) is stupid, considering that many men in the past (ie Ed Koch, John Frusciante, Thomas Edward Lawrence, Edward Gorey, Benjamin Cardozo, Bradford Cox, etc) have in the present and the past have made a powerful impact on our society in various ways despite presumably never having sex and/or being in a relationship. Truthfully I am beginning to think the whole idea of sex and even relationships in general is overrated anyways.

Last edited by diablo234; 05-28-2014 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 06:04 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I'm surprised more fat ugly women don't go crazy and go violent. Maybe women's sex drive is just less??

You can't blame "women" for not being attracted to a strange loner...it's natural that they wouldn't be. If you're a loser with women, you need to learn how to make yourself attractive to women...only solution I see.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:19 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
There are many reasons our society is over-sexed:

1) Primal nature: Far too many people still act on their hormones vs. using any higher part of their brains when it comes to relationships. One need only look at day-time TV, full of shows trying to ID the "baby-daddy" to see where this leads and how common it is... heck, it's become a sick form of entertainment in its own right. Sure, most people would prefer having a sex life to not having one at all - which is fine - but the idiocy people will commit to just be in a relationship is astounding.

2) Profit: Sex sells, so selling more sex makes more money. If you can convince people that they will get the girls/guys by buying whatever crud you're selling: a new car, new wardrobe, cosmetic surgery - you'll probably make a ton of money.

3) Enforced social conformity / be part of the herd: Humans are herd creatures and more eagerly condemn somebody who is overall a decent person, but "different" than a total jerk who is "the same as everyone else." One need only look into office politics, schoolyard bullying, and so on to see examples of this. It's okay to be a total jerk or sociopath if you're "the same as everyone else / part of the herd," but it is NOT okay to be different in any way (religion, race, gender ID, sexual preference, etc.) even if you're otherwise a fine person.

The over-selling of sex and the need for people to have sex as a big part of their life is just another manifestation of this herd mindset. That guy is... a virgin?! He doesn't go trolling for loose women every Friday night at the bar?! He doesn't brag to his coworkers about his latest sexual conquests?! Clearly, something is "wrong" with him, and thus he must be ostracized, humiliated, and treated like a lesser human for his "failings."

Summary: The killer in question was clearly mentally unbalanced and nothing short of dedicated mental health treatment could have solved his problems, but society in general does bare part of the blame for pushing people who are "different" in any way off the edge. The only ones that usually make the news are the ones who, when they snap, go on a killing spree. Nobody cares about the ones who simply suffer for years or who kill themselves in despair. I'm not saying that the killer was not responsible for his actions - and it was far more than society's sexual obsession that was involved - but we do live in a cruel culture that enjoys punishing and ostracizing anyone who is "different" in any way... even while rewarding total crooks and idiots who play the game and blend in with the herd.
I couldn't have said it any better....I completely agree.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:40 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
In an earlier comment you asked a poster if he or she had considered the logical consequences of some action or lack of action. Well, back atcha. How exactly do you enforce "fair" in relationship choices? What sort of dystopian nightmare do you want to create?
That's the thing about the "If you don't start rewarding us sexless betas we're gonna take our ball and go home, so start ponying up ladies or else" folks. They never stop to consider whether anyone but them cares if they did. Hell, society might be better off if these people dropped out of the relationship game completely

Old 05-28-2014, 06:59 PM

774 posts, read 906,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
You can't blame "women" for not being attracted to a strange loner...it's natural that they wouldn't be. If you're a loser with women, you need to learn how to make yourself attractive to women...only solution I see.
That makes sense.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:31 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,943,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I just read the chilling transcripts from a video posted by the Santa Barbara killer. I was struck by how eerily similar his rhetoric is to some of the young guys who post here. I understand he also posted at bodybuilding.com like many of the guys that come here lamenting the fact that they can't "get a female."

Of course my post title is facetious. But I wonder if getting enmeshed in an Internet community where such ideas are supported may be perpetuating the isolation and disconnection to reality. What can we in our own lives do? If anything?
This guy could not get a girl because he was a head case. He was a spoiled brat in a BMW, wore $300 sunglasses, hated his mother for not marrying into money, etc. If anyone was "spoiled" and had an elevated sense of entitlement it was him.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:33 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Elliot Roger - diagnosis questioned (don't ignore because the author misspelled his name )

Perhaps we're talking about introversion mixed with anxiety and depression and (low-status male) PTSD from bullying/teasing misdiagnosed as Asperger's and that diagnosis perpetuated by a string of mental health professionals who didn't bother to rethink things. Apparently the father at one point didn't believe the Asperger's label. Also, since when are people on the autistic spectrum good at actively fooling others?

Old 05-28-2014, 07:54 PM

867 posts, read 909,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Elliot Roger - diagnosis questioned (don't ignore because the author misspelled his name )

Perhaps we're talking about introversion mixed with anxiety and depression and PTSD from bullying/teasing misdiagnosed as Asperger's and that diagnosis perpetuated by a string of mental health professionals who didn't bother to rethink things. Apparently the father at one point didn't believe the Asperger's label. Also, since when are people on the autistic spectrum good at actively fooling others?
ON CNN they have had some pretty reputable psychologist indirectly diagnose him Paranoid Schizophrenia. While the vast majority of Schizophrenics don't harm people, if left untreated as in this case it could lead to violence. Part of the condition of Schizophrenia is feelings of persecution, delusions of grandeur, delusional thought disorder, social withdrawal and isolation among other symptoms.

From my studies of Schizophrenia, the feelings of persecution and paranoia attach to something. In this case because of the sites he frequented his condition attached to certain sentiments of misogyny. Because there is a manifesto and videos that emphasize that misogyny the discussion has been aimed at whether misogyny caused him to do this. My argument, is no. Knowing the way Schizophrenia works had he been frequenting hate sites--anti-semitism, racism, or what have you--his mind would have attached to that. Then his manifesto and videos would just parrot what he read on those sites. And the general response would be whether hate sites caused him to kill. The point being that it isn't sex, lack of sex, misogyny, society (whatever that mean) that caused him to kill. If anything it was having a serious but treatable psychological condition that went untreated.

The problem I have with this particular case--to be honest I don't think this has happened before--is the killer has decided that he is not only going to kill others and himself but he is going to control the dialogue that results from it. I refuse to read the manifesto or watch his videos because none of it will give me insight into the nature of why he killed. If anything it's just a straw man. Keep in mind he killed his three roommates as well, where does that fit into the manifesto or his excuses?

That's why if there is a discussion to be had from this it has to be surrounding mental health and not perceived social norms. To have an argument about perceived social norms is almost to entrench yourself in his delusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology