Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 11:21 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyT View Post
On the contrary... it's meant to be taken completely seriously. Attractiveness makes women creep-blind. ;-)
Just keep telling yourself that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyT View Post
Brad Pitt naked, covered in blood, with a machete in one hand and a dead cat in the other = hottest thing you've seen all year.
What you honestly do not understand is that you'd never see Brad Pitt (the actual Brad Pitt) in that situation. You just really do not get it. You think physical looks are everything, and you seem to think that good looking people are not allowed to be actually good blokes too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 11:27 PM

1,314 posts, read 1,424,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Not necessarily. A lot of women were creeped out by Ted Bundy, which saved their lives, while others were fooled by his boyish good looks and they payed the ultimate price. Many women know that good looking men can be dangerous, and even more so these days than in the 70s. Bundy wouldn't have made it so long nowadays. He would have been caught much sooner because women now are aware of the charming psychopath.
Do you comprehend what you are saying? You are saying that Ted Bundy was successful in murdering dozens of women because the WOMEN weren't aware that good looking men can be dangerous.

The hell is wrong with you? Seriously! Seek counseling.

It is so chilling to me that so many men with this attitude are running around the world.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:33 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have to disagree with you. First I don't think Davros sounds like him and second, nice guys who are on the shy side can indeed finish last because they get started late. I used to double date with my brother's best friend because my brother's girlfriend couldn't single date. I was head over heels by the time my brother got married but he never even hinted that he liked me in return. 8 years later at my nephews christening (he was the God father and I was the God mother) he looked at me and said "I would have married you if you'd waited for me.". I would have liked to have known that back then because I would have waited. He was my best friend. Someone I could talk to about anything. I really missed him after my brother got married and we didn't double date anymore. I've never had that in a relationship again and at this point in my life, that sounds like heaven. Sometimes nice guys never let on that they like you because they're too shy and you think they don't because they never said anything. I convinced myself that his silence meant he didn't feel the same way when the problem was he didn't know how to tell me he did.

If I could go back in time and tap myself on the shoulder our lives would have been very different. He's one of the nicest guys I know. Honest, hard working and caring. He could always make me laugh no matter how hard a day I had. He never did marry. He says I was the only girl he ever wanted to marry but he was just too shy to tell me. Too afraid I'd say no and he'd have to see me all the time because I was his best friend's sister. I guess I could have confided in my brother. I never did because I thought he didn't like me. Yes, nice guys can finish last. All it takes is miscommunication and assumptions that are wrong.
Wow, that is too sad. Shy guys need to speak up. You'd think the potential for their future happiness would be a good motivator.

Old 06-02-2014, 01:08 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzile View Post
Do you comprehend what you are saying? You are saying that Ted Bundy was successful in murdering dozens of women because the WOMEN weren't aware that good looking men can be dangerous.

It is so chilling to me that so many men with this attitude are running around the world.
I am saying precisely that, and in so doing I am paraphrasing Ann Rule.

But you wouldn't tell her to seek counseling cause she's a woman.

You unfairly hate men that don't fit your mode of what a man should be. Seek counseling.

Last edited by Davros; 06-02-2014 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: removed inappropriate comments

Old 06-02-2014, 01:12 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow, that is too sad. Shy guys need to speak up. You'd think the potential for their future happiness would be a good motivator.

Some of us wonder if we really want a girlfriend. I fear being judged, and I imagine a relationship as one long stretch of being judged constantly.

I'm really not sure I ever want to date. I enjoy the freedom of being unattached, although it is hard to ignore biological desires.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:50 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:

Some people play the game very well and looks help in this department. We tend to assume good looking people are good intentioned so the red flags don't go up quite as fast (look at movies and cartoons. The bad guys are ugly. The good guys are handsome. We've been sold a line.). I have a step son who could have posed for the Adonis. Blond haired, blue eyed, drop dead gorgeous. The stuff he got away with was amazing (he's classified as a non violent sociopath BTW (he lacks a conscience). Not that he can't get violent to get his way but he derives no pleasure out of hurting others. He just doesn't care about them.). I remember contacting a GUY (just to show they can charm guys too) whose drivers license I found in his room. SS had broken the window of his car and stolen his wallet and stereo. He agreed to press charges (we wanted to send him to a boot camp but needed him to be sentenced through the juvenile system so he had to be prosecuted) but then ss went to talk to him and he dropped them. He told us that he "didn't want to see such a nice young man go to juvenile detention". Since when do "nice young men" break into your car and steal your wallet and stereo? In his younger days, he could charm the garter off or your grandmother. He could convince you he cared deeply about you when he didn't give a crap about you. There is more to this than just looks but looks certainly help. We've been conditioned by the entertainment industry to expect bad guys to wear black hats and be homely while good guys wear a white hat and are handsome.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:34 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

But shy guys find it hard, if not impossible, to speak up...........because they're shy. OP said she was really smitten with him - she could have let him know just as much as he could have let her know how he felt about her. Both parties messed up.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:16 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Huh. You sound almost exactly like him to me.

Men who whine "No one will date me cuz I'm such a nice guy! Nice guys finish last!" made me run for the hills during my dating days. Ech.

This is one of my favorite web sites spelling it all out for these Nice Guys.
If you read more of Davros's posts, you'll see that he doesn't sound anything like Elliot Rodger. Rather, he recognizes that he's shy and has social anxiety and it keeps him from dating. He's not blaming women for his lack of dates or implying that there's a societal cause.

And it often is true that "nice guys finish last," at least when they are young. I think that things tend to even out as people mature. Nice guys often become more sure of themselves and women get over their "bad boy" phase and start looking for a nice guy.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:20 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:

I think what he's saying is that Ted Bundy charmed women into trusting him and it helped that he was handsome.

Why is it chilling to acknowledge that?

BTW, I'm not a man, but a middle-aged woman.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 AM

189 posts, read 275,809 times
Quote:
Why do you think you get to decide who she gets to "weed out"?
I don't think that at all; I'm just remarking on the fact that her "creep radar" seems to weed out unattractive and socially awkward guys -- most of whom are NOT dangerous -- but doesn't pick up on criminals, sex offenders and abusers. Calls into question what ladies really value in a man, wouldn't you say?

As for Bundy, he's really the poster-child for why socially inept men are not the ones you need to worry about. The true predators are expert mimics and manipulators of human behavior. Ann Rule herself (a female friend who was fooled by Bundy for many years) said that he never missed a thank-you note, a friendly call on her birthday, an offer to walk her to her car while they were working together in a shady part of town, etc. He was good-looking, charming, and at least presented a facade of being successful and upwardly-mobile (he actually flunked out of school several times and had trouble holding a stable job). Yet women are scared of the guy who stammers or has trouble making eye contact.

As for the guy in the grocery "not respecting your relationship" -- I worked in a grocery, and knew many nice little small-town Christian girls who gave out their numbers to random dudes who flagged them down in the store, then "hung out as friends" for a while, then broke up with their current significant other when he (or the other guy) found out and gave them an ultimatum. So I think that little caveat is mostly about looks and social desirability as well.

And who says you'd "never find Brad Pitt" in that position? He's good-looking and rich, so he can't possibly be a psycho? Kinda proving my point for me, there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology