Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 03:17 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

Things are relative.

To some people, I don't drive a truck.

Some people don't see my F-250 as a truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 10:42 AM

148 posts, read 141,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I had a good friend back in California, when I lived in Paradise up in Butte County who ended his life, and I was working in my garage when I heard the shot. He had been in a great deal of emotional pain and was clearly deep in suicidal ideation before he did it. None of us could talk to him, he would just rant on and on why he needed to end it. He'd lost his job as a fire captain and just could not imagine himself as anything else. He wasn't capable of re-inventing himself and was committed to ending it. Aside from his professional loss he'd endured great relationship troubles, and from his view there was no point to life and far too much pain in going on. He even tried to get me to loan him a gun, and of course I refused, but he got one anyway elsewhere.

I think he just lacked the strength to go on, and the ability to start over, and re-invent his life. He was a deeply emotional man, and deeply wounded by life. Years later I can only think he was more susceptible to the lure of suicide than the rest of us, and saw it as the only escape from the pain he was living with. I don't think it's so much what drives people to suicide, as how susceptible they are to it. My friend lacked the inner strength to bear up and endure, and caved in to despair. So very sad, he was such a great guy, and that was the very worst way to lose a friend.
that's a reason we dont have guns in ENGLAND, on the spot suicide . I would have been dead long ago if a gun present, no thinking straight pick it up BANG . SUICIDE in England is under a train , hanging, jumping off high place, pills are way down the list

Old 08-10-2014, 03:51 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,274,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspotfox View Post
that's a reason we dont have guns in ENGLAND, on the spot suicide . I would have been dead long ago if a gun present, no thinking straight pick it up BANG . SUICIDE in England is under a train , hanging, jumping off high place, pills are way down the list
Oh but you DO have guns in England, they are just illegal guns, and criminals don't care about the laws.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:29 AM

398 posts, read 471,175 times
Feeling like things will never get better.

They do, but I've been in that mindset before, and I know it.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Oh but you DO have guns in England, they are just illegal guns, and criminals don't care about the laws.
criminals have guns yes, and special force police have guns, farmers have a licence for a shot gun. But every mentally ill person has not go access to a gun by walking in a gun shop and buying one. NO ONE IN ENGLAND CAN JUST BUY A GUN like buying a bag of sweets. Caught wit a gun doing nothing would get you 10 years in prison. What a silly post, America has hundreds of gunshot suicide you can count them on 1 hand in ENGLAND

Old 08-11-2014, 03:13 AM

Quote:
criminals have guns yes, and special force police have guns, farmers have a licence for a shot gun. But every mentally ill person has not go access to a gun by walking in a gun shop and buying one. NO ONE IN ENGLAND CAN JUST BUY A GUN like buying a bag of sweets. Caught wit a gun doing nothing would get you 10 years in prison. What a silly post, America has hundreds of gunshot suicide you can count them on 1 hand in ENGLAND
Yes, well don't you think you are getting a bit off-topic? Perhaps your anti-gun rant would be more appropriate in another thread and forum.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, well don't you think you are getting a bit off-topic? Perhaps your anti-gun rant would be more appropriate in another thread and forum.
The truth not gun rant . you can do has you like its your country just stating suicide facts . I just thought of you best one. DEATH BY COP

Old 08-11-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
The truth not gun rant . you can do has you like its your country just stating suicide facts . I just thought of you best one. DEATH BY COP
Check your spelling and grammar, and yes, your posts do have the quality of a rant. Perhaps you would care to contribute to the thread instead of airing your political issues here.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:16 PM

128 posts, read 201,761 times
end less unhappiness, no hope, people need positive friends, role models to support them so this doesn't happen

Old 08-11-2014, 04:19 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,417 times
I've heard there are 3 major issues:

a. Financial debts

b. Divorce

c. Loss of a loved one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology