Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 10:25 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I think they let bad thoughts stay in their mind, dwell on them until they are so big it becomes intensely painful for the person.
Teach your children to kick those thoughts out of their minds as soon as they realize they are trying to get in. Treat them like the poison they are. Bad thoughts are exactly that, BAD.
We teach them to wash there hands to protect from germs and keep them from getting sick, teach them that bad thoughts will literally kill them.
I think that's why there are sometimes clusters -- especially with younger adults or teens. They hear of someone else ending their life and they start to wonder. At certain points in their lives, the idea can grab home, they begin to consider it -- and it becomes less abhorrent.

There are certain ages for which death might almost fascinate -- it's often younger people that get into the goth dark view of things. That's why I think teens and college age are more vulnerable.

For older people, I think suicide may be completely other issues, and of course for the terminally ill, it maybe just be about hastening the inevitable, choosing the time and place themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 10:45 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
A Buick would be my choice, but its only a small detail really. Almost inconsequential to the big picture.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:52 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
I think they let bad thoughts stay in their mind, dwell on them until they are so big it becomes intensely painful for the person.
Teach your children to kick those thoughts out of their minds as soon as they realize they are trying to get in. Treat them like the poison they are. Bad thoughts are exactly that, BAD.
We teach them to wash there hands to protect from germs and keep them from getting sick, teach them that bad thoughts will literally kill them.
I've been thinking about this all day. For some I think this is exactly what happens. So how does one teach our kids to "kick those thoughts out of their minds"? It's not easy with a negative child but I think there is a way. But another question is how does someone other than a parent teach kids and young people how to "kick those thoughts"? Someone like me for example. I have someone in mind who tends to get very negative and quite selfish when things aren't quite to his liking. His parents are working on him but I can help - I'm his beloved Great Uncle!

Thanks for that insight, mag32gie.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:40 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
I was just reading an article and found this interesting:

Quote:
However, low serotonin levels are simply another symtom of depression, not a cause. The more negative introspection you carry out, and the fewer pleasure-giving activities you participate in, the lower your serotonin levels become.
Medical Causes of Depression

In the same article, is this astounding statistic:

Quote:
People born since 1945 are 10 times more likely to suffer from depression than those born before.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 AM

5,483 posts, read 3,923,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I was just reading an article and found this interesting:

Medical Causes of Depression

In the same article, is this astounding statistic:
regarding that last stat, how do they arrive at that, um, conjecture IMO? How do they know past rates of "melancholy" as it used to be sometimes called?

Pretty sure the answer is, "they don't", but I'd be interested in being proven wrong

Old 05-30-2014, 12:35 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,297 times
I've struggled with suicidal ideation periodically in my life, and when I was a teenager I attempted to kill myself, but was "saved" at the hospital after my mother unexpectedly came home early from work for lunch and found me.

The reasons that were running through my head at the time was incredible sense of loneliness and intuition about a bleak future. I had been dealing with a breakup from long-time friends, and I had a health problem at that age where the embarrassment in school and in public in general was too overwhelming. I didn't want to live the rest of my life lonely, rejected, ridiculed and having to isolate myself because of it. So essentially I saw no value of living in the future. Of course, though, I didn't want to die. I wanted to live! But I didn't want to live my life the way it was and had no control over what I saw that life turning out to be, which was painful. And I cried harder than I ever had before at this realization, but all I felt was acceptance in finally having peace and ending the suffering.

My experience had nothing to do with a cry for help or a stunt for attention. I just saw that dying would finally end the suffering and misery. I did think about it for a long time beforehand and did take the time to write a note.

I'm not sure how helpful this post is, but I thought I would share reasons and the experience of my own, giving a perspective of someone who has attempted suicide. I was in the hospital recovering for two weeks, and was sent to a behavioral institution for over a month after that.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:29 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The question arises from my own son's suicide. Not all suicides are driven by the same force I should think. Some suffer depression, some suffer extreme anxiety. But is there a common driving force or are there several unrelated or perhaps related driving forces?

It has always struck me as extreme when someone jumps of a high building. What anguish did they suffer to make them take that step? Why not just take an easy and painless measure? Would someone choose to end their life simply because life sucks and they see no hope for improvement? I'm still trying to understand the enormity of it. I think I understand my son's case but not what triggered it at the critical time (not fully anyway).

I think (for me it would be) the fear factor. If you're afraid of things and you can't have assurances that bad things won't happen to you, you live in a state of waiting for the other shoe to drop and at some point you get tired of this state and you just want to feel peace. (Which a suicide could bring (at least from some people's perspectives))

Also, to me, the reason for living is being happy. Otherwise, what are the benefits of being alive? Why should you stay alive if there are no benefits?

Old 06-01-2014, 04:43 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_marto View Post
Culture. I bet there are no amazonian tribesmen topping themselves.
I have been thinking about this for a couple days now.

When you are not concerned with basic survival, what else do you have to think about?

Yourself.

It's unsettling to think of it so simply. But I think it may be true. All forms of suicide are in fact, pure selfishness. Even accidental suicide of drug overdose. The whole thing of being addicted to drugs is nothing but giving into your own desires until your own gluttony kills you. You are only thinking of yourself, your pain and your wants.

Very unsettling indeed.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskay662000 View Post
I have been thinking about this for a couple days now.

When you are not concerned with basic survival, what else do you have to think about?

Yourself.

It's unsettling to think of it so simply. But I think it may be true. All forms of suicide are in fact, pure selfishness. Even accidental suicide of drug overdose. The whole thing of being addicted to drugs is nothing but giving into your own desires until your own gluttony kills you. You are only thinking of yourself, your pain and your wants.

Very unsettling indeed.
Isn't that what basic survival is? Worrying about your own self preservation? How you are going to survive from day to day? If you are concerned with basic survival you are still concern about yourself.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:32 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Hopelessness, yes. Clinical depression, yes.

I lost my daughter last year. I have gone through all the stages. Interestingly, acceptance came first but it was a false comfort. Now I am angry. I have bouts of bargaining. I circle back to disbelief regularly and depression is a carnival tent overarching all of it.

Who can ever understand the why? The people who loved her are forever changed. I wonder sometimes if she has regrets.

For me, the life I have left seems very long and bleak. But that is no way to live. In her last, loving note to me she seemed to understand the terrible effect her choice would have on her loved ones but she still chose it, so I have to respect that. Her last desperate hope was that I would be ok so I have to be.
First, I am sorry for your and the OP's loss.

The bolded is a reason why I don't think I can do it. I am not enjoying life right now and a lot has to do with me getting older. I truly hate it and feel life is very overrated. I have not had a good life which started with my abusive childhood. I'm glad I didn't have children as there is no way I want to put anyone else throuigh this.

I was dumped suddenly by a woman I was seeing for the past year in an LDR this past weekend (doubt I will ever get closure but I know for a fact my age had something to do with that) and I'm losing my job on September 30. Hardly anyone is hiring older workers anymore. The competition is fierce and I do not feel like going through it. A pending high level security clearance may save me. However with the recent decision I just learned about a week and a half ago I am afraid they are going to stop the process.

So I can easily see what makes someone go over the edge.
I had a good friend try and take his life this past December over issues with a woman he was seeing for 10 years. He had second thoughts and called 911 after he swallowed a lot of pills. He's a mess and not the same person. I offered to take care of him but I was turned down. It's like I lost a friend and he hurt a lot of people just by attempting it. It could have been worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology