Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I don't know. He had emotional problems as a kid but he did not seem to have the rage/hate that he appeared to have as a late teen. It seemed to build within him with each passing year. When he wrote in his manifesto that he had started target practice with one of the guns he purchased, he stated something to the effect that he couldn't believe it had finally come to that (practicing for the massacre). I think he became more and more miserable, angry and hopeless as time went by.
I think he had a lot of help to encourage that idea.... he actually felt power (less) but carried himself quite differently.
-----------------------------
I had an argument with Soumaya while I was visiting father’s house. It started when she began to
boast that my brother Jazz was recently signed by an agent to act in T.V. commercials. She said that by
the time he is my age, he will
be a successful actor. I talked about how Jazz was already so socially savvy
for his age, and how I’ve always envied him for it. She told me he will never have any problems with
girls, and will lose his virginity while he’s young. I had to sit there and listen to the ***** tell me that my little brother will grow up enjoying the life I’ve always craved for, but missed out on.

http://abclocal.go.com/three/kabc/ka...sted-World.pdf

His step-mother was royal b""' too. She might as well have pulled the trigger herself.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
^^ You're right about his stepmother. How tragic.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:03 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
His inability to self correct mental mistakes and emotional tangents is notable. Resistant to therapy, able to deceive any person he met including trained police officers and his own parents. This individual was sociopathic, unable to see himself in the world unless he controlled it. Women, peers and other people progressing into the lives become despised for their simplicity and his own not fitting in to this model was such a contrast to him that he, over time, felt that going out was better. He could not fit in to the model which was in front of him daily. Intelligent yet flawed..."I can't believe it has come to this..." could read (I have a right to fit it, to be like others, I am told that I am normal but I am not). He was as surprised as anyone that his internal wiring could not support the person he deeply yearned to be. Add to this the aberrant fascination with killing others and the homicidal ideation which had been deep within him led to a horrendous attack on his roommates ( mean...really!) and a rambo like vision, all well within his peramiters of OK'ness. He never thought, "I need help". He never surmised "maybe it will get better". He proceeded down his path of envy, and destabilization until he could not any longer bear the burden he knew about himself. And wen he exploded, the "other" person so well concealed arrived full force, briefly to maim kill and destroy. It is a tragedy in the truest sense...that despite knowledgable caring parents he could not be stopped.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:14 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I think he had a lot of help to encourage that idea.... he actually felt power (less) but carried himself quite differently.
-----------------------------
I had an argument with Soumaya while I was visiting father’s house. It started when she began to
boast that my brother Jazz was recently signed by an agent to act in T.V. commercials. She said that by
the time he is my age, he will
be a successful actor. I talked about how Jazz was already so socially savvy
for his age, and how I’ve always envied him for it. She told me he will never have any problems with
girls, and will lose his virginity while he’s young. I had to sit there and listen to the ***** tell me that my little brother will grow up enjoying the life I’ve always craved for, but missed out on.

http://abclocal.go.com/three/kabc/ka...sted-World.pdf

His step-mother was royal b""' too. She might as well have pulled the trigger herself.
Social intelligence is like anything else - attractiveness, memory, book intelligence, etc. Some of us have more than others. We can improve upon those traits, but we cannot change them completely. There was a time when people accepted these things in themselves. People were who they were. Taller, shorter, prettier, not so pretty, etc. Who cared? You just went on and lived your life as best as you could, and you know what? You were okay with that. So your boyfriend was not in the popular crowd. So what? So you weren't the most beautiful girl. So what? Other things mattered a hell of a lot more.

Nowadays though, people want to be a "10" in all things - to be considered gorgeous, brilliant, funny, to have money, to be popular, or they become unhappy, with people who have issues taking it more seriously than anyone else.

My view is that there's a sense of entitlement which I think starts because those who DO have those things are flashing what they have in front of the rest. "Look! I have this and this and that. I'm amazing!" And the media does that for all of us with the famous. The media reports things that scream out ostentatiousness: "Look at Kim Kardashian! Look how gorgeous! Look how rich! Look how popular! Look how she dresses better than others! Look what a fabulous home she has!" "Look at Jay-Z! Look at the many homes he has! Look at his clothes! Look at his interviews! Look at his wife!" Yada yada yada. The media repeats this over and over in programs, news, and thousands of other ways, and we hear this ***t over and over. I try to stay away from all kinds of crap like that, but even I am subjected to it because I live here, use technology like anybody else, and have conversations with people.

As a result, people have become more ostentatious than ever. It makes me gag, really. People want to have the best of everything, be the best of everything, and those that are more narcissistic than others, or have issues, take it very seriously, get angry when they can't have those things, and blame others.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:50 PM

398 posts, read 471,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Social intelligence is like anything else - attractiveness, memory, book intelligence, etc. Some of us have more than others. We can improve upon those traits, but we cannot change them completely. There was a time when people accepted these things in themselves. People were who they were. Taller, shorter, prettier, not so pretty, etc. Who cared? You just went on and lived your life as best as you could, and you know what? You were okay with that. So your boyfriend was not in the popular crowd. So what? So you weren't the most beautiful girl. So what? Other things mattered a hell of a lot more.

Nowadays though, people want to be a "10" in all things - to be considered gorgeous, brilliant, funny, to have money, to be popular, or they become unhappy, with people who have issues taking it more seriously than anyone else.

My view is that there's a sense of entitlement which I think starts because those who DO have those things are flashing what they have in front of the rest. "Look! I have this and this and that. I'm amazing!" And the media does that for all of us with the famous. The media reports things that scream out ostentatiousness: "Look at Kim Kardashian! Look how gorgeous! Look how rich! Look how popular! Look how she dresses better than others! Look what a fabulous home she has!" "Look at Jay-Z! Look at the many homes he has! Look at his clothes! Look at his interviews! Look at his wife!" Yada yada yada. The media repeats this over and over in programs, news, and thousands of other ways, and we hear this ***t over and over. I try to stay away from all kinds of crap like that, but even I am subjected to it because I live here, use technology like anybody else, and have conversations with people.

As a result, people have become more ostentatious than ever. It makes me gag, really. People want to have the best of everything, be the best of everything, and those that are more narcissistic than others, or have issues, take it very seriously, get angry when they can't have those things, and blame others.
I actually don't think much of Kim K, although I would like to have her money.

People want to be the best in life, this is part of human nature. I remember back when I was 17, I thought I'd be signed to a record label and be rich and famous by this time. Well, I've put out some music, but no record label, and I haven't made much more than 20 bucks from my music.

I wish I could have told myself this at 17, because I would have invested in a backup career. Now I'm in college and finally getting my act together, but it's something that I had to learn, by failing at what I love, to realize that you can't always do what you love.

Elliot Rodger should have been satisfied with any girl. Rich, poor, old, young, fat, thin, brunette, blonde, whatever. The fact that he aimed so high, when he had literally NOTHING to offer, was the reason why he failed. He didn't deserve what he was aiming for, because he didn't provide anything to prove that he deserved it. The typical guy struggles in dating, and the typical guy makes an effort.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:

I repped you for bringing me up-to-speed on those issues.Thanks. I suppose if people actually live that lifestyle, it might be appealing.. but I never cared for the Atlanta or Miami ( or whomever) Housewives or the Kardashians. They don't pay my bills, unfortunately. And then there is Kim--whom NEVER sent me a birthday card last year either! She didn't even text me last week. That's right-- I am pissed for life and absolutely crushed!

I really don't have the patience to listen to the drama of a selected few-- T.V. shows ( unless I am really bored) but I have been around the mindset. It's here too.. and most of the time, really doesn't have anything to with money. It's making a BIG DEAL of every single little thing... so yeah, I do see it. People's lives would be somewhat boring if everything was not a huge deal, anyway..

That mindset was definitely in ER but in a different way. He just didn't talk, but he had some of that attitude.. By the way, there are sunglasses that cost more than 300 bucks... but he did go on and on about those sunglasses. I wonder how many gift cards the sunglasses actually were, from his dad? Three, one hundred dollar gift cards is my guess.. That puts him completely dependent on his dad.. correct?

He was dependent on his father and probably had to go through his step-mother, to get to his dad ( when it came to money). I can see a few heated arguments there, anyway.

I still think the 'community school' was a slap in the face and I do not understand why they put him there. It doesn't make any sense. They didn't need to save money.. he viewed it very poorly I think. ( I know it's a good school, so that is not what I am saying)

Old 07-12-2014, 07:34 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
I don't recall him saying anything in his book about feeling inferior for attending a community college. That surprised me as I thought he would have seen a CC as being low class.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:39 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,732,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
I still think the 'community school' was a slap in the face and I do not understand why they put him there. It doesn't make any sense. They didn't need to save money.. he viewed it very poorly I think. ( I know it's a good school, so that is not what I am saying)
But what's wrong with a community college? The best and most lucrative bridge builder in the U.S. (someone I know) studied in community college before he transferred to a college. This incredible pickiness and entitled mentality of people nowadays is simply too much.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I don't recall him saying anything in his book about feeling inferior for attending a community college. That surprised me as I thought he would have seen a CC as being low class.
I am not saying that he verbally said anything about the school, but his actions proved to be different when attending that school. How was he going to attract a private owner of plane at a community college ( such as the Katy Perry crowd, he was used to) at a community college? I would think that his BMW 328i Coupé that was valued between 38-40 grand and his three hundred sunglasses and the community school was on the modest side for what he was supposedly seeking. Or thought he was seeking.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
But what's wrong with a community college? The best and most lucrative bridge builder in the U.S. (someone I know) studied in community college before he transferred to a college. This incredible pickiness and entitled mentality of people nowadays is simply too much.
I see what you are saying.. but I did try to elaborate that there was nothing wrong the school in my original post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology