Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 06:34 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
It was so clear that he was sick that people on Reddit were calling him out. Why didn't someone say something to the authorities?
Exactly.

"On the night of the killings, members of Mr. Rodger’s online world instantly drew the connection between the violence in Isla Vista and the man they had been jousting with online.
“Could someone tip off the police just in case?” one wrote, even as six people had already died at Mr. Rodger’s hand.
“Why?” another asked.
“Don’t,” someone else posted. “Whatever happens. We didn’t do anything so just let it happen if it does.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/02/us...awal.html?_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 06:51 AM

398 posts, read 470,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I suppose people say all kinds of shocking things online it would take a lot for someone to alert the authorities over it. His videos were obvious red flags, and his parents were at least aware of that. Could they have done more? Maybe, but he was also a determined young man on a mission, so I wonder what exactly they could have done.
I know of a few forums that are full of guys like this. I would be afraid that there would be tons of copycat shooters, but yet they haven't done anything.

Rodger seems to have been more than a troll. He was mentally sick.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
It was so clear that he was sick that people on Reddit were calling him out. Why didn't someone say something to the authorities?

The internet is only so private. If you're having sick thoughts, you don't have the privacy to not have those checked out, to prevent a crime.
There was a celebrity stalker on a forum (not the celeb's forum) that some of us reported. Most posters turned a blind eye and some thought it was "mean" to pick on him for this, but he became more fixated, then posted that he would be following her at a particular place with the intent to meet her and get her away from her abusive? boyfriend. He was offended by her choice of boyfriend (or maybe he was fiancé) and agitated about how she would be with him. Yeah, like this psycho knew anything about this stranger's boyfriend and what he is like. The posts were long, disjointed, obsessive and finally had an objective. This guy was screaming for help and most of the forum members did not want to intervene.

We sent the link and all his posts to the celeb's management. They did not know about this guy, thanked us for the info, and we felt better knowing that we did the right thing.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:46 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Being borderline Asperger's myself, and knowing tons of people who were diagnosed (many as close friends), he does seem like he is on the spectrum, and that might have led to a rigid way of thinking, but of course he had many other things, and aspies are no more likely to commit murder than anyone else.
No the media was wrong...it later came out that he didn't have it....

Old 06-09-2014, 06:27 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
Quote:
I know of a few forums that are full of guys like this. I would be afraid that there would be tons of copycat shooters, but yet they haven't done anything.

Rodger seems to have been more than a troll. He was mentally sick.
Yeah some thought his videos were staged/faked (there are conspiracy theories, not surprisingly). I mean the cheesy movie villain laugh did seem kinda fake, but I think he was the real deal.

Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
No the media was wrong...it later came out that he didn't have it....
He wasn't officially diagnosed, but it doesn't mean he didn't have it. It's just my opinion, though, from reading his manifesto, about his life, and watching his videos. I known many people diagnosed with it.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:02 PM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Elliot Rodger's former roommate, who said he had an idea that something was seriously wrong.
Former Roommate of Santa Barbara Killer Elliot Rodger Had 'Bad Feeling' About Him - ABC News

Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
He wasn't officially diagnosed, but it doesn't mean he didn't have it. It's just my opinion, though, from reading his manifesto, about his life, and watching his videos. I known many people diagnosed with it.
He fits Narcissistic personality disorder...more then Aspergers...

Old 06-09-2014, 10:26 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
Quote:
I'd like to know who he was yelling at on the phone. ( according to his first roommate in the interview, that over heard his yelling matches on the phone) It had to be family... there was no one else. So, someone knows about these screaming matches that was on the other end of the phone. I somehow think he made "girls" an excuse for school issues, in his head. I am not sure how they exactly fit together but his life at school wasn't the greatest as in maybe test scores? and I somehow think he manipulated whomever he was talking to on the phone.. and made it more about "fitting into school better if he had a girlfriend".. and then monopolized that issue and made it full blown.. and then carried it out.

I am not trying to justify his actions. but the girl thing and the school issue are related ( somehow) I think. Maybe it was not taking enough courses or taking more courses and he needed time to play.. I don't know. But there is some kind of connection, I think.

Edit: What I just outlined would be "Aspergers"

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 06-09-2014 at 10:48 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah, or maybe he had both...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology