Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 12:28 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Some people, many actually, maybe even most, come up with their own reason sooner or later, and pretend it was a reason from the outside when in reality they themselves filled that void because most humans really need a reason and purpose. Living like animals is too little for most, which is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 02:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
My Boo!

Old 06-05-2014, 02:33 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I say this is a troll post. OP hasn't been back in three pages.

I'm even more cynical than OP -- ask anyone on the Las Vegas forum and they'll agree. But I get up every day and not just get through it but kick posterior. Every day. Wake up, kick butt, lather, rinse, repeat.

Why? I fervently believe that my generation is either the last, or the second-to-last generation that gets to do basically whatever we want. We get to eat what we want, drink what we want, and do what we want for a living. Upward mobility is still real (although disappearing fast).

Subsequent generations will live in "survival mode." Just wait until Bangladesh and the good parts of Florida slip under the sea, along with the lion's share of the high-dollar real estate around the world. We are looking at a mass diaspora of humanity never seen before. And those people won't get to eat what they want, drink what they want, do what they want -- and there will be no such thing as upward mobility. Just survival.

I try to live a superior life because that isn't going to be an option in a few decades. Not the way things are going at least. But I do hold out hope that we will pull a "deus ex machina" solution out of our posteriors.

You really should see a shrink. What a sad way to go through life.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:50 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
Seriously what is the point of being alive? What motivates you/keeps you going?

Originally for me it was my career, my career = ME but i've come to find out that my career does not even come close to defining who I am as a person or my psyche. Now I am kind of at a loss as to how to find out what keeps me going/motivated.

I just don't know any more, is it having my own family one day, people that care about me or friends?

I'm more interested in how you came to think that. Its incomprehensible to me that the point of one's life can be a career. How did you come to think that way initially?

Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
There is no "reason."

Makes about as much sense as a reason some children are born disabled or struggling to overcome a terrible disease like cancer. Or even stillbirth's.
everybody has different philosophies/beliefs on the meaning of life. i'd appreciate it if you wouldn't belittle mine.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
There is no "reason."

Makes about as much sense as a reason some children are born disabled or struggling to overcome a terrible disease like cancer. Or even stillbirth's.
People seem to demand that there be a reason. There isn't any reason. There is no "meaning of life." I'm just thankful that I live in this time and place -- because I have almost zero confidence in the future. Roughly 40% of the world's population lives only a few feet above sea level. As the seas rise, people will have to move. That places more strain on an already badly-broken system.

As I said upthread, I hope that we can pull a carbon-devouring rabbit out of our technological hat. Barring that, there is little hope.

Old 06-07-2014, 01:09 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You really should see a shrink. What a sad way to go through life.
Funny how people most in touch with reality often elicit reactions like this

Old 06-07-2014, 06:07 AM

324 posts, read 407,151 times
My family keeps me motivated. I live for them.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:23 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
My attitude is "never give up, ever". Maybe I'm just mean, my therapist said that I have a rage in me from my childhood. When I was going through some tough times and I could not see it getting better, some how I would hang on and it got better. This happen several times in my life. It was a valuable lesson that still drives me now.

I just went through several years of medical issues that had me feeling bad. This last 2 months I have been feeling pretty good. See it got better. When the darkest of the dark happens never give up, EVER!

Old 06-07-2014, 09:14 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I'm more interested in how you came to think that. Its incomprehensible to me that the point of one's life can be a career. How did you come to think that way initially?
A career is not the same thing as a job. The way I think of "real" careers is as follows:

First, one has a substantial leaning curve in order to qualify. There is knowledge, skill, competency, and mastery to attain. So just arriving at the starting point brings a certain amount of pride and satisfaction. Then the career is not just putting in one's time for eight hours a day; the hours are probably longer than that, so we spend more time in our career than we spend doing any other single thing. There is continued growth, both intellectually and in other ways. There is immense gratification in meeting the challenges and in being of service to others. Our career is truly what we "do" in life. Doctors come to mind. So do police detectives. And research scientists. And classical musicians - it is hard for me to conceive of the deep, deep satisfaction they must derive from creating transcendent beauty.

We often begin to dream of, and prepare for, our careers as children.

I am aware that many people hate their jobs. Yet I was quite taken aback when you wrote that it's incomprehensible to you that the point of one's life can be a career, so I set myself the task of making it less incomprehensible. Careers can be deeply meaningful and profoundly gratifying. Not everyone hates his or her job. Were you able to relate to anything I wrote above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology