Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 09:41 PM

356 posts, read 1,268,905 times

Advertisements

My kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 10:03 PM

732 posts, read 968,445 times
I'm already alive and have nothing better to do, so I might as well continue living.

Just kidding... I'd like to accomplish some things before I wake up and this weird, imaginary world ends. The dream of life is actually too short and has me always wondering where the time went. Even if I'm bored and watch the second hand of a clock moving I see time is passing by too fast. The second that passed is gone forever.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:52 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofball83 View Post
Seriously what is the point of being alive? What motivates you/keeps you going?

Originally for me it was my career, my career = ME but i've come to find out that my career does not even come close to defining who I am as a person or my psyche. Now I am kind of at a loss as to how to find out what keeps me going/motivated.

I just don't know any more, is it having my own family one day, people that care about me or friends?
I don't find life as a general proposition particularly compelling in the overwrought ways a lot of people seem to want to / need to. However, ignoring past suffering as a sunk cost, and my fairly substantial disappointments with some aspects of how my life has turned out (not to be confused with regrets, which I have virtually none of), there are some things I enjoy enough to make me keep putting on my pants each day and keeping on. I enjoy my profession, the opportunity to travel to interesting places, reading and learning about things, and to an extent, I enjoy my loved ones, and they me. It's nothing earth-shattering, but it's enough. Some days find me enjoying nothing more than ticking things off on my to-do list and the minor sense of accomplishment that goes with it.

Sometimes we think we have to set the world on fire, be famous, or in some way metaphorically blow the barn doors off this thing called life. But those are just ideas in between our ears. In truth life is most often about paying attention to the mundane and prosaic and staying with the minor positives found therein -- and not trying to be some epic action hero in a play of your own making. Just show up, do your best, and enjoy what you can.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:24 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't find life as a general proposition particularly compelling in the overwrought ways a lot of people seem to want to / need to. However, ignoring past suffering as a sunk cost, and my fairly substantial disappointments with some aspects of how my life has turned out (not to be confused with regrets, which I have virtually none of), there are some things I enjoy enough to make me keep putting on my pants each day and keeping on. I enjoy my profession, the opportunity to travel to interesting places, reading and learning about things, and to an extent, I enjoy my loved ones, and they me. It's nothing earth-shattering, but it's enough. Some days find me enjoying nothing more than ticking things off on my to-do list and the minor sense of accomplishment that goes with it.

Sometimes we think we have to set the world on fire, be famous, or in some way metaphorically blow the barn doors off this thing called life. But those are just ideas in between our ears. In truth life is most often about paying attention to the mundane and prosaic and staying with the minor positives found therein -- and not trying to be some epic action hero in a play of your own making. Just show up, do your best, and enjoy what you can.
That's right. The vast majority of us are not going to invent a longer-lasting light bulb or find a cure for some disease or lead a new nation in its first eight years as George Washington did or help a nation rise from the literal ashes to prosperity as Konrad Adenauer did. To think we are supposed to rise to that level is to set ourselves up for major disappointment.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:49 PM

37 posts, read 80,850 times
My Son. He is who keeps me going.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:11 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,909,526 times
Quote:

My belief that what I experience as a person in this life is just a staging ground for another level. Sensing on some level that when it is all over here, that I will transcend to another level of consciousness based on my time in this terrestrial realm.

While I am here. . . .

My dog is a constant source of spiritual inspiration and source of life energy.

Skydiving: risking life, challenging death and coming out ahead every time, at least for now.

And - brunettes (that lack a soul) with dark eyes and dynamic curves that seek out redefining the meaning of the word orgasm with the Sky-O.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:53 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
I am motivated by the fact that I seriously hope to maximize my pleasures, experiences, and lifespan at a cost-benefit ratio. Basically, I want to live as long as possible (which includes the desire to have myself get cryogenically preserved after I die in the hope of eventually getting revived in the future) and to have a large amount of pleasure and different experiences while I am living.

I am also an enormous fan of history and of the future, and thus, it would be extremely disappointing (from my current perspective/worldwide/mindset) for me to permanently die (as in, without ever getting revived) and thus never to know about various events which will occur in the future.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:17 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Heck - I gotta see how the story ends.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:17 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Heck - I gotta see how the story ends.
Whose story, exactly?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:

Originally for me it was my career, my career = ME but i've come to find out that my career does not even come close to defining who I am as a person or my psyche. Now I am kind of at a loss as to how to find out what keeps me going/motivated.

I just don't know any more, is it having my own family one day, people that care about me or friends?
Primarily? Family, present and past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology