Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 05:02 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,726 times

Advertisements

E.R. was borderline autistic.. I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 05:06 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
So the difference between John Wayne Gacy (and other serial killers) and the nut jobs that kill people nowadays is that he killed people (his victims were innocent too by the way) one at a time and these guys take them out all at once? That doesn't even make sense.
Exactly. It seems as if there are some posters here are trying to villify the current generation as a bunch spoiled brats who become homicidal when they don't get what they want or are trying to villify modern times and pop culture for creating the psychos. Regardless of the generation their will always be psychopaths who will commit random acts of violence, the methods are different but that's all that has changed.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The issue here is random violence against innocent people. The murder rate in general has declined. As stated please don't tell me this is not the case or blame it on hype. Everybody knows random violence has increased exponentially. Got a chart for that?
So where is YOUR data? Everybody Doesn't Know what you assert. Give us the chart where you got that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The things that are driving these weird killings are twofold: the lack of appropriate mental helath care and the easy availability of guns. Gun advocates like to blame it on crazy people, while mental health advocates like to blame it on the easy availability of guns. But the two sides shouldn't be at odds because both of them are right.
When I was a kid we lived near the country. The country kids would ride in on horses, bikes or take the bus, the older kids would drive. Everyone had a gun. Some of the kids would hunt on the way to school and if they got dinner, they would ask the school kitchen to put it in the fridge for them so they could pick it up before they went home. Every truck had a couple of guns. All of us learned how to shoot at a young age. We learned gun safety, respect for the weapon, not to put your finger on the trigger unless whatever was in front of the gun was an intended target, we learned to never point a weapon at anyone and that all guns are always considered "loaded."

In the entire time I lived there, we had NOT ONE school shooting, store shooting, police shooting... The "easy availability of guns" had absolutely no effect on anyone. It was a given. As for mental health, we all knew who the crazy people were and their families were allowed to put them in places where they were of no harm to anyone. Since the civil rights act and several other acts (1968 and onward), it's near impossible to put someone into an institution even if the entire world would be better off if they were.

Your point is moot, and it's one that the gun control freaks like to use as a last resort. IMHO the smartest thing would be to give gun awareness and gun safety classes to everyone. When I was in Seattle on a trip, I watched a breaking news story on TV. There had been a shooting and they were wheeling one of the gang members into an ambulance. The reporter stuck a mike in the gang member's face and asked him how he felt. His answer still rings in my ears. He said, "If I knew how much it hurts to be shot I never woulda shot nobody."

Fantasy video games where the person who was shot comes back to life at the start of a new game probably have as much to do with what's going on than anything else. Like those young girls who stabbed their friend in the forest because of some fictional character on the internet, these kids don't have any guidance about the difference between real and fake. THAT is a form of mental illness as well. In most children, the gene that helps them separate fact and fiction kicks in around age 8. Our society's heliicopter parenting styles and over protection of our kids has developed an entire generation that is infantilized and can't make distinctions about the real world.

All that being said.... Youth violence has been a problem since the dawn of time.
I can't find the quote from a philosopher from the 1st century (if anyone has it, please add it to the conversation.) Essentially, the quote says something to the effect that children are disobedient and entitled, there's crime in the streets, disrespect is rampant and the world is going to hell in a handbasket. It's a quote from 1st century BC.

The majority of crime comes from young men between the ages of 18-25.
It's no coincidence that young males do not get their "impulse control" genes awakened until about age 25. Females genetic control kicks in around age 18. Thus the difference in young men and young women.

We have made it near impossible for parents to discipline their children. Even a spanking with a wide open palm on the fatty side of a kids bottom is now considered a form of child abuse. Anyone who has raised kids knows that there are some times and some kids who need a good spanking... not a beating... a spanking that awakens them to the fact that the world does not revolve around them. In my mind, NOT disciplining your children and NOT teaching them how to control their out of control emotions is tantamount to child abuse. If they don't find out their limits as a child, they will find them out in a much more debilitating and destructive way when they are older.

I don't know that we are seeing more "random violence." Isn't all violence random? I think we are seeing more reports. We have the ability now to hear from every corner of the world 24/7 365 days a year. With gun crimes and even gun suicide at an all time low, we still see gun crimes reported as if they are "new" things because there are some very strong agendas a work behind the scenes.

Tell me - how many shootings have you heard about in Mexico? I get the reports daily and the shootings are daily, many of them just south of the border are being committed using guns our DOJ sold in the gunwalking scheme across the border. More than a thousand Mexican citizens shot in the last couple of years, yet you hear nothing. Young Black gang members being shot regularly in Chicago. Again, nothing. White on black - you hear it. A lone crazy person shooting up a mall takes up the front page for days. A shooting that was STOPPED by someone who was lawfully armed? Not a peep in the news. A burglar breaking into a home and opening fire only to be shot by the single mom living in the home? Not a peep.

You aren't seeing news. You are seeing selective, politically motivated, advertisement-selling, fear-inducing articles that may or may not report all the "facts" accurately. But since most of America reads only headlines, the goal is achieved.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
So where is YOUR data? Everybody Doesn't Know what you assert. Give us the chart where you got that.

When I was a kid we lived near the country. The country kids would ride in on horses, bikes or take the bus, the older kids would drive. Everyone had a gun. Some of the kids would hunt on the way to school and if they got dinner, they would ask the school kitchen to put it in the fridge for them so they could pick it up before they went home. Every truck had a couple of guns. All of us learned how to shoot at a young age. We learned gun safety, respect for the weapon, not to put your finger on the trigger unless whatever was in front of the gun was an intended target, we learned to never point a weapon at anyone and that all guns are always considered "loaded."

In the entire time I lived there, we had NOT ONE school shooting, store shooting, police shooting... The "easy availability of guns" had absolutely no effect on anyone. It was a given. As for mental health, we all knew who the crazy people were and their families were allowed to put them in places where they were of no harm to anyone. Since the civil rights act and several other acts (1968 and onward), it's near impossible to put someone into an institution even if the entire world would be better off if they were.

Your point is moot, and it's one that the gun control freaks like to use as a last resort. IMHO the smartest thing would be to give gun awareness and gun safety classes to everyone. When I was in Seattle on a trip, I watched a breaking news story on TV. There had been a shooting and they were wheeling one of the gang members into an ambulance. The reporter stuck a mike in the gang member's face and asked him how he felt. His answer still rings in my ears. He said, "If I knew how much it hurts to be shot I never woulda shot nobody."

Fantasy video games where the person who was shot comes back to life at the start of a new game probably have as much to do with what's going on than anything else. Like those young girls who stabbed their friend in the forest because of some fictional character on the internet, these kids don't have any guidance about the difference between real and fake. THAT is a form of mental illness as well. In most children, the gene that helps them separate fact and fiction kicks in around age 8. Our society's heliicopter parenting styles and over protection of our kids has developed an entire generation that is infantilized and can't make distinctions about the real world.

All that being said.... Youth violence has been a problem since the dawn of time.
I can't find the quote from a philosopher from the 1st century (if anyone has it, please add it to the conversation.) Essentially, the quote says something to the effect that children are disobedient and entitled, there's crime in the streets, disrespect is rampant and the world is going to hell in a handbasket. It's a quote from 1st century BC.

The majority of crime comes from young men between the ages of 18-25.
It's no coincidence that young males do not get their "impulse control" genes awakened until about age 25. Females genetic control kicks in around age 18. Thus the difference in young men and young women.

We have made it near impossible for parents to discipline their children. Even a spanking with a wide open palm on the fatty side of a kids bottom is now considered a form of child abuse. Anyone who has raised kids knows that there are some times and some kids who need a good spanking... not a beating... a spanking that awakens them to the fact that the world does not revolve around them. In my mind, NOT disciplining your children and NOT teaching them how to control their out of control emotions is tantamount to child abuse. If they don't find out their limits as a child, they will find them out in a much more debilitating and destructive way when they are older.

I don't know that we are seeing more "random violence." Isn't all violence random? I think we are seeing more reports. We have the ability now to hear from every corner of the world 24/7 365 days a year. With gun crimes and even gun suicide at an all time low, we still see gun crimes reported as if they are "new" things because there are some very strong agendas a work behind the scenes.

Tell me - how many shootings have you heard about in Mexico? I get the reports daily and the shootings are daily, many of them just south of the border are being committed using guns our DOJ sold in the gunwalking scheme across the border. More than a thousand Mexican citizens shot in the last couple of years, yet you hear nothing. Young Black gang members being shot regularly in Chicago. Again, nothing. White on black - you hear it. A lone crazy person shooting up a mall takes up the front page for days. A shooting that was STOPPED by someone who was lawfully armed? Not a peep in the news. A burglar breaking into a home and opening fire only to be shot by the single mom living in the home? Not a peep.

You aren't seeing news. You are seeing selective, politically motivated, advertisement-selling, fear-inducing articles that may or may not report all the "facts" accurately. But since most of America reads only headlines, the goal is achieved.
In the US, parents are *****-whipping their kids. It's been going on for 25 years anyway.. The last guy I went out with was 40 years old and he really didn't know what to do with his dick ( In all honesty) If it wasn't on TV, he was clueless.. True story. I really had no idea until I went out with him, that people were that bad off.. mentally. Their parents enable them to be babies for life and then it's some woman's job to take care of where mama left off. Total horse manure. I won't go out with someone like that again.. and he's still single and totally clueless. ( watches TV,. mopes and pouts like a little kid, gripes when he has to work his mediocre job because it's boring.. wha---)

Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,198,037 times
Gun homicides are down in the last several years but the media doesn't talk about it because it goes against their agenda.

Remember... If it bleeds, it leads

Old 06-09-2014, 05:44 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
In the US, parents are *****-whipping their kids. It's been going on for 25 years anyway.. The last guy I went out with was 40 years old and he really didn't know what to do with his dick ( In all honesty) If it wasn't on TV, he was clueless.. True story. I really had no idea until I went out with him, that people were that bad off.. mentally. Their parents enable them to be babies for life and then it's some woman's job to take care of where mama left off. Total horse manure. I won't go out with someone like that again.. and he's still single and totally clueless. ( watches TV,. mopes and pouts like a little kid, gripes when he has to work his mediocre job because it's boring.. wha---)
So you make a massive generalization of men based off of one guy?

Personal anecdotes really don't hold up as hard reliable data.

And it isn't like the guy is a teen or a young adult. He's 40.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:56 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
The issue here at least to me is a serious event(s) are taking place. Random episodic people going to shopping malls theaters schools restaurants with increasing frequency over the past 10 years and killing people who are unknown to them.

These events are alarming in that the perpetrators typically young men do not know any of the people or know them on a limited basis. What is causing this? Access to guns, limited mental health services or increase in a feeling of being entitled all add to this picture.

There is a perfect storm brewing in my thoughts and these perpetrators when depressed have little to lose. I really don't want to debate if you feel it's more or less or equal to before with charts and figures. These events are happening every week. None of us live in a hole or a vacuum. My goal here is to understand why. If you want to argue with me personally please go to another forum. This subject is to important to get into a debate about it.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:57 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,539 times
I wish the media would stop "glorifying" these selfish, diabolical maniacs! Glorify the victims, repeat their names over and over again, tell us about them. Don't report anything about the maniacs! I bet more people can name the maniacs, but not the victims.

Constant reporting over and over again about these subhumans just feeds the minds and egos of next one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
So you make a massive generalization of men based off of one guy?

Personal anecdotes really don't hold up as hard reliable data.

And it isn't like the guy is a teen or a young adult. He's 40.
I am not making a massive generalization.. Most kids are pampered beyond words and it's not getting any better. The reason for my post is the same mentality of E. R., is identical to the guy that I dated that was 40. I was also around a younger male recently that made Elliot Rodger look like a normal guy without mental illness. Of course, all men are not like that. No generalizing intended... hell, I love men.

1,815 posts, read 3,166,927 times
One thing nobody has mentioned yet...population growth. More people in general = more people running around with mental issues. The U.S. grew by over 50 million people in just the last 20 years, so even if only a tiny fraction of those are psychotic or otherwise deranged, there are still enough of them to make headlines on a pretty regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology