Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 09:34 AM

8,012 posts, read 8,186,123 times

Advertisements

Like I said, this is not a thread discussing why people commit acts of mass murder. This is a thread for a bunch of crotchety people to come in and whine about today's youth and reminisce about the good ol' days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 09:59 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
The issue here is random violence against innocent people. The murder rate in general has declined. As stated please don't tell me this is not the case or blame it on hype. Everybody knows random violence has increased exponentially. Got a chart for that?

Has always been going on. We just are now inundated with 24/7 media.

Sexual assault of children, rape, murder, etc were prolific in the 50s/60s/70s... in fact violent crime is down quite a bit. We just hear about it non stop.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,041,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Like I said, this is not a thread discussing why people commit acts of mass murder. This is a thread for a bunch of crotchety people to come in and whine about today's youth and reminisce about the good ol' days.
please bow out.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:18 AM

I think that the poster who stated that people are so bombarded that their defenses are overwhelmed has a valid point.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:53 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,624,485 times
Quote:
Is it just me?

Mass shootings weekly for years, homicidal people shooting cops, road rage leading to unpredictable confrontations and shootings. Having just traveled the Pacific Rim I did not see this so much and now returning to the lower 48 it seems a daily occurrence. What are the causes? Could diet with al the new things in our foods be linked. Less treatment for mental health issues?

I am 60 and I am really beginning to wonder why all this terribly violent crime is now front and center. Please don't tell me this is just like it was. It isn't. This is really alarming. Do you check patrons as they enter movie theaters as you sit down? I do. Do you look more carefully at people in your immediate area when shopping? I do that too.

It is really an awkward question to ask...but the number and rage of the people who commit these crimes is increasing. I am interested in why other people here think that this is happening.
It's just sensationalism in the press. I won't tell you it's just like it was. It's actually quite a bit better than it was. Violent crime has been falling for years. You just get bombarded with the reporting of violent incidents clear across the country, or even in other countries.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:32 PM

The other observation I have is how many of us are in denial

Old 06-10-2014, 01:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
i agree, you have completely failed to acknowledge any POV besides your own!

Old 06-10-2014, 01:17 PM

53 posts, read 67,081 times
Quote:
Well.. can't argue with you there. Violent crime was drastically higher and more random in the 70s & 80s and peaked nationally in 1992. What's the last time you heard of somebody you know being mugged? You clearly want people to affirm the stance that you've taken, and I'm going to say no, the world isn't a much more violent place. I am sorry that you are old and cranky, turn off the cable news, that's what's really ruining society.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:35 PM

ok, thanks. I have learned quite a bit.

peace. out.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:22 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,290,935 times
The male of the human species has, until very recently in historic terms, been expected to be the provider and breadwinner, and to immolate his own dreams in the process. Women didn't have it any better, of course, but the roles were more clearly defined, and there was a sort of balance between them.

That balance has been destabilizing for over a century, and nothing is going to undo that, but it was moved much closer to center stage in the wake of the coming of age of the baby-boomers in the early Seventies, and relentlessly seized upon by the mass media and their allies on Madison Avenue. (I am Woman -- hear me bore!)

One way or another, the overwhelming majority of us adjust, but the undercurrents remain. (There's a popular T-shirt in my neck of the woods with two stick figures -- a happy bride and a groom who looks lie he's about to be hit bay a truck -- and the caption "Game Over") The number of young men raised in single-parent female-headed households; alternately coddled and subjugated -- often with the aid of medication -- in an educational system increasingly committed to an over-sanitized "progressive" eco-feminist agenda backed by Big Brother and Big Sister, continues to drive those who can afford it to alternatives.

In fairness, the changes also have contributed a great deal to human progress, and removed, or at least thrown light upon, some very dark corners. But too often, the people behind the power hear only their own rhetoric, and the alienated misfit is either ignored or further subjugated ..... until the anger boils over with deadly consequences

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-10-2014 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology