Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:26 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,895,631 times

Advertisements

I like what Bob Marley had to say about marijuana,

"when you smoke the herb it reveals you to yourself".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:39 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,295,095 times
All I know is people are way more attractive
...when I'm drinking.

When they are smoking....they are only distracted, ADD, OCD,
stupid to me.

Attention deficit disorder...
Obsessive compulsive

Old 06-12-2014, 09:46 AM

854 posts, read 1,477,718 times
Yes, I'd say that's a pretty good way of describing it actually. Weed makes you feel a child-like wonder while alcohol makes you feel the "death euphoria".

Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 AM

50,490 posts, read 36,145,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I like to DO THINGS like reading books, driving a car, working around the house, taking my dog for a walk, etc.

And I will say that I can function MUCH BETTER to do those things if I am not on drugs or alcohol!
I am the opposite. I have ADD and pot helps me function much better, it clears the fog and I go into action. I clean the house, exercise, etc much more easily and efficiently after pot.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 AM

25,438 posts, read 17,134,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I like what Bob Marley had to say about marijuana,

"when you smoke the herb it reveals you to yourself".
And that makes as much sense as this quote by Marley:
"I would say to the people, Be still, and know that His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie of Ethiopia is the Almighty. Now, the Bible seh so, Babylon newspaper seh so, and I and I the children seh so. Yunno? So I don't see how much more reveal our people want. Wha' dem want? a white God, well God come black. True true."

Old 06-12-2014, 11:04 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,914,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Edit: The full title/question is supposed to be: Is it accurate to say a marijuana high makes you "more conscious", while being drunk on alcohol makes you "less conscious"?

The question is pretty straight forward, and that's the best way I can describe it from my personal experience.

I suspect the "more conscious" part plays a role in why some people become paranoid if they smoke marijuana and get high. I don't know if it's accurate, but I have a theory that the reason marijuana makes people paranoid is because the people it has that effect on are used to being detached and the marijuana high makes them instantly "more conscious" or "more present" in a way that they're not used to.

If you agree with the basic idea that my main question suggests, do you think that smoking marijuana or drinking alcohol a lot can tug your default (sober) level of awareness in one direction or the other? For example, marijuana making you more sensitive, in touch, and planting your feet more firmly on the ground, and alcohol numbing you out, making you less in touch, and detaching you? I do believe it's known for sure that medically, excessive drinking of alcohol can make people depressed, which in that scenario I think is very similar or the same as what I mean by "less conscious" or "detached".

What do you think?
I don't think mj makes a person more conscious at all. In my experience, people on marijuana tend to zone out. I've had the experience of becoming paranoid after smoking and it was NOT because I felt more "present." If anything, I felt very out of it and that feeling was very uncomfortable for me. I have a friend who is a heavy smoker, and I've never seen a person less in touch with reality in my life. If you want to "plant your feet more firmly on the ground", I suggest avoiding excessive use of both substances.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,000,043 times
There are different strains of marijuana. The primary ones are Sativa and Indica. Sativa stimulates the mind and somewhat the body; it's the traditional high. Indica relaxes the body but has less mental effects.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:42 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,258,070 times
If I had the choice; if one was completely legal *ahem* I'd choose MJ almost every time. I've had good and bad experiences with both, and most times with alcohol I feel bloated, some times allergic, headache, and some times nauseous.

With MJ, depending on the type, I feel relaxed, sometimes out of body, sometimes (good) hallucinations. I've had had a couple of bad experiences; like some paranoia, lack of 'control' (like I was laughing for no particular reason and it was freaking me out) lethargy and dry mouth... but I blame that on a certain type of edible I had.

----

If I could guarantee a good 'buzz' from either each has their 'merits' but most times with alcohol just isn't worth it.

More on topic, I do feel like I'm able to make certain (new) thoughts and connections better with MJ and I feel that with alcohol I can be relaxed enough to have a conversation but not having any new (or seemingly new) insights.

But MJ hasn't really proven to help me be more creative, which I thought was a component, so there's that.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,661,245 times
A friend of mine once said, "When you're drunk, you're a dog. When you're high, you're a cat."

I always thought that was fairly accurate.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:54 AM

17,944 posts, read 27,377,476 times
It's my understanding that weed and booze and any other mind - altering substance will affect our consciousness, usually in a positive way at first.

When one gets past the fear of being "high" if the fear exists at all, they will feel an elavated state of consciousness ... albeit very brief ... only because their lower states of consciousness are deadened for a brief moment and they can experience their true being at that point.

Now, the problem with this is that it's a stolen and borrowed experience, but the mind refuses to forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology