Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 12:16 AM

513 posts, read 798,859 times

Advertisements

I like the way drinking makes me feel, happy, worry free and open. But I hate the drinking part and the hangover. Smoking weed though, as much as I want to like it I can't. Everytime I smoke I get super aware of everything. My mind is full of thoughts and I can't sort through them fast enough. One time I smoked and couldn't stop thinking of colors and associating colors with different people and things. Then I couldn't stop measuring in my mind the distance between different spots while still associating it with colors. Also, when I smoke I can't stop thinking and analyzing My thoughts. It just isn't pleasant. Is it weird for this to happen?

Another time I smoked and tried getting in my house. I remember fumbling for my keys. I kept thinking how long it was taking me and by the time I got in the house I thought "gosh I spent twenty mins trying to get the key in the door!" Then looked at the clock and realized only two mins had gone by. I felt like I was going crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 02:09 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I don't think mj makes a person more conscious at all. In my experience, people on marijuana tend to zone out. I've had the experience of becoming paranoid after smoking and it was NOT because I felt more "present." If anything, I felt very out of it and that feeling was very uncomfortable for me. I have a friend who is a heavy smoker, and I've never seen a person less in touch with reality in my life. If you want to "plant your feet more firmly on the ground", I suggest avoiding excessive use of both substances.
This isn't just to Colorado Rambler, but also to the thread in general:

To make it clear, I was speaking from my experience and as a generally non-smoker. I went through a marijuana-smoking phase several years ago when I was younger. Then I left it and took up alcohol and took that pretty far. At some point after that smoking marijuana would sometimes make me very anxious and even flat-out paranoid. It had never done that before. I've had a lot of experience and time to think about this and, for me, it really does seem like a marijuana high plants my feet firmly on the ground and thrusts me down to Earth. I believe I become "more conscious" in a way. More in touch with my sensory, surroundings, and maybe emotions - overall, just more present with things being more "real". This "heightened state of consciousness" might be nice and enjoyable for some people, and maybe that's even why I had enjoyed marijuana before several years ago, but in my more recent state of mind and psychological make up, I suspect it's what has caused the anxiety and paranoia. I think when I spent the years between my marijuana phase and now drinking, I became "less conscious" in all of the ways I've talked about and that my psychological make up had changed, hence marijuana's different effect on me and why I believe the effect I've described of the high makes for anxiety and paranoia. If this is true, and I don't know for sure that it is, smoking every now and then to intentionally "exercise" getting used to the effect might actually work and could be a good thing for my or anybody with similar experience's overall psychological health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
There are different strains of marijuana. The primary ones are Sativa and Indica. Sativa stimulates the mind and somewhat the body; it's the traditional high. Indica relaxes the body but has less mental effects.
I've never really understood the difference between a "mind" and "body" high. But I have heard that the indica variety is the one that often causes undesirable effects (paranoia, etc.), so I question why people would say it's a "body" high and has less mental effects. Like I said, I don't know a lot about the technicalities of marijuana, but are you sure you don't mean indica simply has less positive mental effects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
If I had the choice; if one was completely legal *ahem* I'd choose MJ almost every time. I've had good and bad experiences with both, and most times with alcohol I feel bloated, some times allergic, headache, and some times nauseous.

With MJ, depending on the type, I feel relaxed, sometimes out of body, sometimes (good) hallucinations. I've had had a couple of bad experiences; like some paranoia, lack of 'control' (like I was laughing for no particular reason and it was freaking me out) lethargy and dry mouth... but I blame that on a certain type of edible I had.

----

If I could guarantee a good 'buzz' from either each has their 'merits' but most times with alcohol just isn't worth it.

More on topic, I do feel like I'm able to make certain (new) thoughts and connections better with MJ and I feel that with alcohol I can be relaxed enough to have a conversation but not having any new (or seemingly new) insights.

But MJ hasn't really proven to help me be more creative, which I thought was a component, so there's that.
I'm not picking on you personally, but in general I see a theme of demonizing alcohol to support marijuana. I see no need for that. There's no need to put down something to prop up another.

----

It's interesting and seems contradictory that with everything you've said here, you ultimately don't believe marijuana helps you be more creative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
I blend indica, sativa in a vape then drink a few glasses of wine and it makes me completely straight.
Back in February I found that smoking and drinking wine can be complimentary and a nice thing. For me, the marijuana high makes the wine seem more luscious, luxurious or something and even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
....The more cannabis one smokes the duller one gets.
Are you saying they become duller permanently or just the more they smoke at a given time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
But that's the puzzling thing. My son Denver dramatically livened up. He became sharp and alive - like becoming his 'normal' lively self. But then he was mentally ill depression and anxiety) although once he had taken marijuana you would never think so. Even with alcohol use, he never appeared drunk. I would only know because he told me. Makes me wonder what was going on in his brain!
Your son sounds kind of like me. I think my problem is basically a sort of neurochemical depression. I've always seemed to have ADHD (was diagnosed) and anxiety type stuff going on and have responded well to drugs that correct that.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:29 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,145,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I've never really understood the difference between a "mind" and "body" high. But I have heard that the indica variety is the one that often causes undesirable effects (paranoia, etc.), so I question why people would say it's a "body" high and has less mental effects. Like I said, I don't know a lot about the technicalities of marijuana, but are you sure you don't mean indica simply has less positive mental effects?
You have it backwards. Cannabis Indica strains produce a potent body high and have strong anti-anxiety effects. Sativa strains cause more mental effects.

When we say "body high" we mean that the strain produces a lot of "bodily" effects, e.g., a buzzing/energy/flowing sensation, relaxation, a strong desire to sleep or to stay in one place ("Couch-lock"), etc. A mind high involves an increase in introspection, odd or altered thought processes, possibly things like brighter colors, more sensitivity to sound, feeling music more intensely and a general increase in mood and energy (but in a relaxed kind of way).

My personal preference is for well-balanced or slightly sativa-dominant Indica/Sativa hybrids. I find they have the best overall effect, especially for music or going on long, solitary walks.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:14 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
You have it backwards. Cannabis Indica strains produce a potent body high and have strong anti-anxiety effects. Sativa strains cause more mental effects.

When we say "body high" we mean that the strain produces a lot of "bodily" effects, e.g., a buzzing/energy/flowing sensation, relaxation, a strong desire to sleep or to stay in one place ("Couch-lock"), etc. A mind high involves an increase in introspection, odd or altered thought processes, possibly things like brighter colors, more sensitivity to sound, feeling music more intensely and a general increase in mood and energy (but in a relaxed kind of way).

My personal preference is for well-balanced or slightly sativa-dominant Indica/Sativa hybrids. I find they have the best overall effect, especially for music or going on long, solitary walks.
You say I have it opposite, but from my experience the variety you associate with a "body high" and the "couch lock" effect is what I associate with a less desirable, more anxious/paranoid high.

I definitely prefer the more stimulating high that you've described.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:21 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,145,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
You say I have it opposite, but from my experience the variety you associate with a "body high" and the "couch lock" effect is what I associate with a less desirable, more anxious/paranoid high.

I definitely prefer the more stimulating high that you've described.
It varies from person to person. I am only describing how each strain affects people generally. Personally, I do not like pure Indica or pure Sativa strains. Pure Indicas make me feel weird and pure Sativas give me a headache.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:10 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
yup. Remember George Carlin talking about a stoner who is throwing up? "I DON'T CARE ABOUT MY SHOES....BLAAAAAHHHH" It makes you not care. But yep, you think you're all that.
I don't think you have that right. People don't throw up from pot. Maybe the bit was about booze?

Old 06-13-2014, 05:58 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
NO. As a long time smoker(6-7 years almost daily light use(i.e, smoking a quarter ounce every 2-ish weeks, as opposed to an ounce a week) absolutely no, it does not make you more conscious. I quit not too long ago for just this reason. I'm tired of the perennial mental fog, the vague sense of disconnection from reality. It sneaks up on you.

Compared to booze, yes, it lets you retain most of your consciousness, booze is awful in that regard. But compared to being sober, no. This a great fallacy of pot, that it grounds you and connects you and makes you more present. Sober meditation/awareness work does that, not marijuana.

The first 15-30 minutes throw you into a place that could be called more conscious, but after that it is a downward spiral into dullness and disconnection. Then you keep packing more bowls trying to chase that first energized state or just spend the rest of the day a little bit "off". The problems show up when you keep smoking, never giving yourself a period of sobriety to recover.

I still think it should be legalized due to the damage caused to society by it's illegality, but it definitely isn't some wonder drug that benefits your life when smoked all the time. Once a week, fine.

Check out this link and if your still curious, the link in the footnotes. This is what people report coming out of heavy use, so keep that in mind. Occasional use is much different.

http://www.choosehelp.com/topics/add...arijuana-habit

Last edited by tofur; 06-13-2014 at 06:24 AM..

Old 06-13-2014, 06:00 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think you have that right. People don't throw up from pot. Maybe the bit was about booze?
I almost did after my first bong hit. It was overwhelming to say the least, lol.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
How about no?
How about yes?

Old 06-13-2014, 08:01 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:

Nice post. Unlike drinking alcohol, which I have done regularly for years, I've used cannabis maybe ten times in my life, and one of those occasions landed me in the psych ward. I'm going to go ahead and assume that sativa was involved on that occasion (I was also at a party where I knew no one, so the circumstances were ripe for inducing the paranoia-to-the-point-of-feeling-like-I-was-going-to-have-a-psychotic-break...I remember being compelled to leave the house when I started hearing Serj Tankian's voice as I fretfully scanned the room...I stole a bicycle and started pedaling it down the street in a futile attempt to escape my mind...the guy who invited me to the party (whom I'd met at a bar an hour earlier) eventually tracked me down as I crashed into some shrubs at a nearby house...by that point, I'd already called 911...the homeowner was pissed by my decision to place that call, given all the drugs inside. Night I'll never forget, even if some of the details are forever lost)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology