Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 04:59 PM

11,026 posts, read 5,982,960 times

Advertisements

You are quite right, Beaconowner. I should have said cannabis was implicated. Just to clarify, it was my younger son who precipitated the divorce.
Quote:
First, let me just say I'm sorry that you lost your son, but nothing you have said makes cannabis the responsible party. It is just as likely that he was already starting to feel the signs of mental illness and was self medicating with cannabis to help him control the symptoms, until that did not work anymore.
Thank you. I'm quite sure he was self medicating.

Quote:
Many people that lose a child, divorce. I believe that it is more likely that the death of your son, and not his use of cannabis that contributed to your divorce.
As I said it was my other son who set things off. Now he was addicted. No question about it. His addiction would be psychological I should think. His personality changed so badly that both his brother and mother left the home. His attitude sucked. He had no regard for the consequences of his actions. He stole a car for a joy ride and damaged it, through rocks at passing cars, got himself expelled from school, set a steam roller rolling into the bay, wrote up huge traffic fines stole and lied. Then he went on to train to become an airline pilot which he then got himself kicked out of. So yes, I am slightly biased against cannabis. But in truth it's drug addiction, not just cannabis but cannabis does seem to be the entry point.

Where I believe cannabis came into it was he started using it recreationally but he left home because of his brother who had undergone a dramatic personality change after starting to use cannabis. Once out of the home he was vulnerable due to his Asperger's and depression from a stressful childhood. He was not depressed at the time though but things went wrong and he started heavy use of cannabis and from there on it was a downward spiral. I suspect (pretty sure actually) that the cannabis precipitated his mental illness and made it difficult if not impossible to treat. My observations support study findings but as you say, that is not proof.

Quote:
I've witnessed some silly things while people were under the influence of cannabis, but never stupidity, but then the difference could be in the company we keep, and not what either group were ingesting.
You could be right. Perhaps stupidity is too strong a word but silliness isn't quite strong enough. I must say that drunk people really talk nonsense sometimes and really get carried away.

Quote:
Alcohol alone can cause mental illness. There is a name for it. When you are ready to do some research, look up "alcohol dementia".
Yes, I am aware of it, I've seen it often enough. I did look it up and what they say matches my own observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 04:49 AM

1 posts, read 346 times
Marajuana makes you less aware of your problems and because of that you are able to focus more on what's around you. This could be seen as a positive or negative depending on perspective.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:12 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Similar to those who can dance SO WELL after a few beers.

Ha Ha! Exactly. LOL

I don't smoke Pot very often. I'm pretty picky about time and place, and honestly...I can take it or leave it. But that said, it can be fun. And there's no hangover later.

But liquor is legal. And in my opinion, there's a time and place for that as well. When I choose to drink, sometimes, I WANT to get a little enebriated. When there's a festival, or I'm with good company, and I know I won't be driving, and I trust the group or individual I'm with, etc., than yeah.

It's kind of nice not being so introverted, so some wine or spirits can be a fun thing. But it's all about the time and the place for me.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:18 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Ha Ha! Exactly. LOL

I don't smoke Pot very often. I'm pretty picky about time and place, and honestly...I can take it or leave it. But that said, it can be fun. And there's no hangover later.

But liquor is legal. And in my opinion, there's a time and place for that as well. When I choose to drink, sometimes, I WANT to get a little enebriated. When there's a festival, or I'm with good company, and I know I won't be driving, and I trust the group or individual I'm with, etc., than yeah.

It's kind of nice not being so introverted, so some wine or spirits can be a fun thing. But it's all about the time and the place for me.

Agreed! I can only dance after a couple drinks. Not well, but "better" than sober, LOL. I get relaxed enough to talk more, which IS nice since normally I'm quiet in a group. Now that we're not driving anymore, that is not an issue.

For example, last night we had karaoke at our local café/bar and everyone was having a great time---singing, dancing, laughing---all with the help of our "social lubricant".

I could never picture my tee-totaller family doing any of that....

Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Marijuana can make you paranoid so definitely more cautious. Alcohol can make you stupid and dangerous. I'd rather be around pot smokers than drinkers even though I don't personally like it. They are calmer, quieter and safer to be around.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:23 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
I'm really glad this thread got picked up again. I really enjoy reading the different stories. I'm a recovering alcoholic and cannabis played a huge role in getting me off booze. Bottom line, alcohol is poison, marijuana is not!

Old 01-22-2018, 12:40 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,143 times
Yeah weed, depending on what kind you smoke will mellow you but alcohol is empty calories and can bloat you. Alcohol to me always tastes bitter and old, makes me nauseous and dizzy. indica weed definitely relaxes you and can be good for anxiety, but sativa can worsen anxiety, makes everything seem like a fog. Getting too high can cause high heart rate and induce paranoia. The good thing is the high will always come down. If you get too drunk, you'll likely die from alcohol poisoning.

All in moderation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology