Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 02:19 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I think I'm very shallow when it comes to girls. If an ugly girl is interested in me and starts talking to me, I completely ignore them. But if the girl is beautiful, I will talk to them.

My mom says when I was little, I would tell kids that they couldn't come to my birthday party because they were too ugly and only invited the pretty ones.

Why am I so shallow?

You do realize not every female on the planet thinks you are the cutest male she's ever seen right?
One of these days someone's Aunt is going to lean over and tell them how ugly "you" are and you are going to hear it. How do you think that is going to feel?

Your Mother did not do you any favors allowing you to behave that way as a child.
Your behavior has been learned from the humans around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 03:50 AM

732 posts, read 968,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I forgot to mention that I have an aunt who is very judgmental when it comes to looks. She will often whisper to me if someone is really ugly. For example, we were at a wedding when she whispers to me that the bride's family were really really ugly. Also, I remember spending a lot of time at her house when I was little..

So could I have gotten the shallowness from her?
It's possible, if you can't find any other reason.

My dad is very shallow and sometimes rude about it. He's usually misogynistic making rude remarks about women's looks saying stupid stuff like "her face can stop a clock" and has even made rude remarks to women about their weight.

I used to be shallow, too, but not deliberately rude like my dad. In my teens, I rejected some girls as girlfriends based on their weight and looks but without telling them why... except a friend of mine stupidly told 2 why I rejected them, so I ended up really hurting their feelings and regret it.

Not that I always acted shallow back then, I still was a (platonic) bf to some girls I didn't think were physically attractive, but it was because some of my friends didn't say anything about their looks. Back then, concerns about fitting in drove me to be shallow, but I changed when I reached my 20s. I regret having been shallow, but I wasn't a bright kid/teen and went along with the crowd to be accepted.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:19 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Nurture over nature from my exp.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
i know some shallow people. they were just like their shallow mother. seems like the parents pass off their bad traits on the kids.

The guy above is doing as he was taught. If he wants to change that, he has to change his behavior, attitudes, or at least how he reacts to the attitudes he gets in his head. or he may have to find a person who is "ugly" who shows him that the person is REALLY beautiful and that will destroy the notion that his mother imbedded in his head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology