Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 01:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Phobia is an anxiety disorder, causing a prolonged or constant fear of something. It really doesn't fit to make up words using phobia when it's more often a hatred, intolerance or simply a dislike for something. For the general public to change their mindset to accept something that has been portrayed as not being normal for centuries takes time, it doesn't happen overnight. When you consider the small percentage of lesbian and gay people (still under 2% last time I saw data) their acceptance as normal (evidenced by marriage laws) has been amazingly fast. For transgender at .3% it's likely to take longer, not only because the numbers are less but because it involves medically performed physical changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 01:17 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I hope we never live in a time and place where people's fears, concerns and personal opinions are no longer tolerated.

That's just transferring discrimination to the other side of the fence.

I hope we some day are able to accept each other as individuals with all their contrary ideas and identities - both sides of the fence - and live with some peace and quiet, for crying out loud.

You don't have to like someone's ideas, you just need to respect their right to have them. That means everyone.
THIS is THE POST of the thread thus far and is all that need be said on the topic.

The emergence of this trend among younger people to think that everyone must think the same way....especially about something such as transgender acceptance....is the most frightening threat to individual rights and personal freedom that Americans have ever faced.

More and more self-appointed thought police are coming out of the woodwork....and allowing them free will to continue to stifle individual expression will be our undoing.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Jeez -- I had to Google it. I thought it was fear of trans-Atlantic flying, or fear that your shower curtain is transparent or something. Is there also biphobia and metrophobia and panphobia and omniphobia and aphobia, who are afraid of people who exhibit any of those preferences?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:24 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
The reason that people think it's acceptable is that they believe it's something the person can change. That's the same reason that mocking the obese is considered acceptable.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:31 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
What are "transphobia" and "homophobia"?

Do you really think that people are afraid of trannies and gays?

Are you "cisphobic" and "heterophobic"?

Old 06-13-2014, 03:32 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
THIS is THE POST of the thread thus far and is all that need be said on the topic.

The emergence of this trend among younger people to think that everyone must think the same way....especially about something such as transgender acceptance....is the most frightening threat to individual rights and personal freedom that Americans have ever faced.

More and more self-appointed thought police are coming out of the woodwork....and allowing them free will to continue to stifle individual expression will be our undoing.
It's evolution. Why can't older people accept something that is no harm to them? I don't understand that at all. It's fine to be offended by someone if they do something wrong. I didn't choose to be this way, so why should I have to be miserable just to avoid offending people?

Old 06-13-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
It's evolution. Why can't older people accept something that is no harm to them? I don't understand that at all. It's fine to be offended by someone if they do something wrong. I didn't choose to be this way, so why should I have to be miserable just to avoid offending people?
Older than what?

Also, what didn't you choose to be?

Old 06-13-2014, 03:34 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Who said it's acceptable? There has been and will always be discrimination towards any types of groups. Whether it's race, religion, weight, height, age, social class people will always put others down. It's human nature.
Discrimination or any kind is NOT acceptable. Sorry.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Jeez -- I had to Google it. I thought it was fear of trans-Atlantic flying, or fear that your shower curtain is transparent or something. Is there also biphobia and metrophobia and panphobia and omniphobia and aphobia, who are afraid of people who exhibit any of those preferences?
Is there such a thing as heterophobia?

Old 06-13-2014, 03:42 PM

Really, making up meaningless terms and using them to viciously label people who disagree with you is not acceptable behavior.

When you co-op the word phobia and the rainbow to shove your agenda down other people's throats, that is very off-putting, and explains why people perceive you negatively.

Just live your life, instead of forcing your lifestyle on the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology