Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 12:36 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,794,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
You made me think of an old psychiatrist joke:

Man: Doctor, my wife thinks she's a chicken.

Psychiatrist: You know, with some medication and talk therapy we can help her realize that she's not.

Man: Oh no, you can't do that. We need the eggs.
Your analogy here doesn't work unless one's wife genuinely has a brain which is more similar to that of a chicken than to that of a normal human (in which case, she probably wouldn't be able to communicate with her husband at all; after all, her husband cannot speak and/or understand Chicken). However, I have never heard of even a single such case ever occurring in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 05:48 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
I don't know, but transphobic people are also homophobic at the same time. I've rarely encountered a transphobic person who has no problem with gays. NOT unless if that transphobe is a gay person though (and gay transphobes exist).

Old 06-17-2014, 07:23 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I find it funny that when its about an alternate lifestyle (LGBT) its labelled as "shoving it down our throats" whereas when its in regards to heterosexuality its labelled as "normal". Im fairly certain that LGBT people dont want "normal' shoved down their throats but they do in the name of "societal acceptance". Those with alternate lifestyles have to be willing to accept their hetero peers in order to peacefully coexist in this world; the heteros should be willing to do the same.
^Maybe you can define "accept", exactly what that entails since I have yet to get the definition here as it would apply to transexuals. I really think we need that definition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Speak for yourself.

Explain how Harrier is "afraid" of people who think they are the opposite gender.

Are you really going to psychoanalyze Harrier?

Show your credentials, doctor.
^I'm also waiting for an explanation on this post. I'm guessing though that when you start making up words that maybe one detaches from the standard meaning of other words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
Good post!

I think it's ironic how heterosexuals claim the LGBT community is "shoving their lifestyles down throats" when there's heterosexuality being shoved down throats everywhere--in daily life, in the media, in movies. Heterosexuals get treated much better overall than LGBTs (and asexuals such as myself).
^In what ways do you see heterosexuals being "treated" much better overall than LGBTs and asexuals. Seriously, especially with an asexual, how to do ALL of these heterosexuals even know what your preferences are? A lot of heterosexuals have weird sexual practices, living arrangements, preferences of all kinds but they don't broadcast it or at least most don't. Why do you think that is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I'm not sure what I'd think if my kid was trans, I might find it strange but I would still love them of course and I would be supportive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
As a loving and supportive parent, wouldn't you do everything you could to get them the psychological help they needed....long before they were "trans"?
^I think a lot of parents would be in denial. I also think that parents desperately want their children to be as close to the normal range as possible just because they know how hard it will be otherwise. And, being "loving and supportive" would require the research on the subject and possible outcomes. Therapy would be beneficial either way since anyone outside the range of normal is going to have a rough time even within themselves. Self-loathing is not unusual. The "hate" comes from within from a sort of paranoia about who one is.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Your analogy here doesn't work unless one's wife genuinely has a brain which is more similar to that of a chicken than to that of a normal human (in which case, she probably wouldn't be able to communicate with her husband at all; after all, her husband cannot speak and/or understand Chicken). However, I have never heard of even a single such case ever occurring in real life.
Futurist110, it's. a. joke.

Old 06-17-2014, 01:30 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
I don't know, but transphobic people are also homophobic at the same time. I've rarely encountered a transphobic person who has no problem with gays. NOT unless if that transphobe is a gay person though (and gay transphobes exist).
Can introduce you to plenty of straight persons who or whom have zero problems with gays or lesbians but think transgender ought to be shot. Indeed as noted in a previous post can also introduce you to gay men that cannot abide transgender either. Far as they are concerned being gay and their lifestyle is a perfectly *normal* and acceptable choice of lifestyle. Everything from marriage to owing a home with a white picket fence and having 2.5 children.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM

1,704 posts, read 749,243 times
Default We're All Just Everday People!

Ordinarily, other people's opinions shouldn't matter. They really don't matter at church, a restaurant, or a place of entertainment, because a member of the LGBT community could just as well go somewhere else for worship, food, or entertainment.

However, the only places where opinions do matter are in the workplace and in housing. Just like there are members of certain churches (including the clergy), who would resent your becoming a member, or even attending their church, there are also employers who might share similar feelings and refuse to hire you. Just like there are restaurant managers and owners who would be reluctant to serve a gay or transgender person, you will also have a landlord who would refuse to rent to a member of the LGBT community.

The bad part of all of this, is the fact that members of the LGBT community have the audacity to discriminate amongst themselves, when it comes to everything. I've personally witnessed gay whites discriminate against gay blacks. I've seen gays discriminate against the transgender community. I've seen lesbians discriminate against gay males.

What's really puzzling to me, is the fact that we all have seen females who behave in a somewhat masculine manner and for some reason, that's more acceptable, than a male who behaves effeminately. Women can wear men's shirts, trousers, hats, suits, and shoes, without so much as a second glance. However, whenever a male wears any kind of feminine clothing, people become disturbed about it.

Well, I've got news for you, people are all different. We're even more different than you could ever imagine. So what if a person is intersex? Should we then discriminate against them too? Should we allow an intersex person become a minister? Should we allow an intersex person become a teacher? Does being an intersex person, also cause them to become mentally ill?

Whatever your answer is to those questions, should be the same answer for the transgender person, too?

The transgender person simply has the same feelings as most members of the opposite physical sex. That's all! They can't help how they were born and there's no way to talk them out of it. It can't be counseled away nor can it be exorcised by the faithful. It's a congenital condition and that's it!

Everybody has something different about them that could be considered as a flaw, no matter how major or minor YOU might consider it to be. That difference could be used to make your life a living hell!

Just think about it, all of you left-handed, dark-skinned, slew-footed, knocked-kneed, uncoordinated, slant-eyed, fat-butt, cross-eyed, big-lipped, pigeon-toed, pale-skinned, egotistical, skinny, nonmathematical, greedy, selfish, stinky, illiterate, sneaky, or inconsiderate people!

Last edited by zeliner; 06-17-2014 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Who said it's acceptable? There has been and will always be discrimination towards any types of groups. Whether it's race, religion, weight, height, age, social class people will always put others down. It's human nature.
Yep, it's a societal acceptance thing. Even supposed open minded people will be closed minded on many topics.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:21 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I'm still waiting for a definition of being "accepted". What are the elements of that? If I "accept" a person, what does that look like? The way it is presented or that I see it being presented is that I have to deny my feelings and beliefs so that someone else "feels" a certain way about themselves. That doesn't seem right.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:50 AM

732 posts, read 968,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
Good post!

I think it's ironic how heterosexuals claim the LGBT community is "shoving their lifestyles down throats" when there's heterosexuality being shoved down throats everywhere--in daily life, in the media, in movies. Heterosexuals get treated much better overall than LGBTs (and asexuals such as myself).
^In what ways do you see heterosexuals being "treated" much better overall than LGBTs and asexuals. Seriously, especially with an asexual, how to do ALL of these heterosexuals even know what your preferences are? A lot of heterosexuals have weird sexual practices, living arrangements, preferences of all kinds but they don't broadcast it or at least most don't. Why do you think that is?
What I replied to was about the complaints by heterosexuals who claim the LGBT community throws their sexualities into heterosexuals' faces. Heterosexuality is thrown into faces MANY MANY times more often than any other! It's everywhere in movies of past & present, in most sitcoms, in books considered literature masterpieces, displayed more than any other sexuality in many public places, etc..

Also, many heterosexuals a lot of times assume people they interact with are heterosexual and say things that can make awkward situations and make non-heterosexuals feel uncomfortable & unwelcome. A lot of heterosexuals are too self-centered and forget there are other people in the world also or don't want to remember there are.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:58 AM

732 posts, read 968,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'm still waiting for a definition of being "accepted". What are the elements of that? If I "accept" a person, what does that look like? The way it is presented or that I see it being presented is that I have to deny my feelings and beliefs so that someone else "feels" a certain way about themselves. That doesn't seem right.
I believe the context of 'acceptance' to be as opposed to treated with contempt, disrespect, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology